Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF Dom -> Int baggage transfers in NZ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2005, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Travelled Bne -> Syd, Syd -> Akl, Akl-> Wlg.

Now doing the return journey of Wlg -> Akl -> Syd -> Bne.

In Brisbane, I could check my baggage through to Auckland and get the boarding pass for my international flight.
In Wellington, I can't check my baggage straight through (Have to pick it up in Auckland and then check in again etc).

Apparently this is because the flights are booked on different itineries rather than the same itinery. This didn't seem to be an issue in Australia. (and apparently if they were on the same itinery then it would be ok)

Is this because flights are run by Jetconnect (under the Qantas Branding) and a similar situation to Jet* / Qantas connections? Customs restrictions or any other reasons that anyone knows about?
Old Jan 8, 2005, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you have tickets on separate itineries, they do not have to check them the whole way, though normally can if they want to. Perhaps it is because you are going jetconnect to Qantas and Jetconnect don't want to be hit for any bag claims that might arise after Auckland. I am suprised that on a QF-QF booking they won't do it though.

What is your connection time in AKL? is it less than the Mininum Connecting Time. If so, that could also explain it

I know that BA , for example, won't check bags through onto separate itineries where the connection is to a non OW flight ( e.g. LHR-FRA on BA and then FRA-xxx on LH ) or if MCT is not met

Dave
Old Jan 8, 2005, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, It's one of those inconsistencies that you see every now and again.

I don't think there's a reason for it - just the staff on hand don't know the full rules or don't want the hassle.

I'm aware of OneWorld not letting you book luggage through if you're not doing a complete OneWorld journey back (I was in London one time, and the CSO actually tagged my bag completely back home ... and then realised that Singapore Air wasn't part of the One World alliance, and so changed it back! and told me the reasons) but previous experiences have shown that if you stay within an alliance they'll try and book your luggage through where possible.

The connection difference is about 2 hours, so I don't think that's the reason -but maybe Auckland airport is busier than most and like Heathrow etc long times are needed ( 2.5 hrs / 3 hrs)

It's not that big a hassle really but would've been nicer not having to worry about the bag.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 3:24 am

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
In Wellington, I can't check my baggage straight through (Have to pick it up in Auckland and then check in again etc).

Apparently this is because the flights are booked on different itineries rather than the same itinery. This didn't seem to be an issue in Australia. (and apparently if they were on the same itinery then it would be ok)

Is this because flights are run by Jetconnect (under the Qantas Branding) and a similar situation to Jet* / Qantas connections? Customs restrictions or any other reasons that anyone knows about?
I don't think it's due to JetConnect. It's likely to be the different ticket issue. Did check-in refuse to check it straight through? If not, may be worthwhile to ask at WLG. Note that WLG staff is likely to be Air NZ staff, so they may follow procedures to the letter, which may not help you.

On many occasions, on the same ticket, I've checked luggage straight from WLG to other QF flights or other OneWorld flights.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Leumas
I don't think it's due to JetConnect. It's likely to be the different ticket issue. Did check-in refuse to check it straight through? If not, may be worthwhile to ask at WLG. Note that WLG staff is likely to be Air NZ staff, so they may follow procedures to the letter, which may not help you.

On many occasions, on the same ticket, I've checked luggage straight from WLG to other QF flights or other OneWorld flights.
When I arrived at Check-in, I asked for it to be checked through, and gave the details of the other booking.

The CSO didn't know if it was possible, so went and saw someone else who obviously said it couldn't be done.

The reason given was that they were not on the same itinery - But as I said earlier in the thread QF Australia didn't have a similar issue with the ticketing arrangements for an identical situation.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 5:40 pm

Programs: VA Plat QF Silv
Have checked in at regional NZ airport (NPE) on NZ and had bags checked through to MEL on QF (via AKL) - this done by showing QF separate etkt - saves hassles at AKL carting bags over to other terminal.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CorporateFlyer
Have checked in at regional NZ airport (NPE) on NZ and had bags checked through to MEL on QF (via AKL) - this done by showing QF separate etkt - saves hassles at AKL carting bags over to other terminal.
Cheers for that info.

I've emailed some feedback to QF asking what their policies are for this. I'm interested to know for future reference (ie is there a time limit, is it up to the CSO and their mood, they'll only do it if you're a WP etc)...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.