Wiki Posts
Search

OT - Jetstar seating

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2005, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA Plat QF Silv
OT - Jetstar seating

Have now travelled Jetstar a number of times and found it OK - certainly accessing QP is a bonus.

The lining up for seating is still an issue - even with the colour coded system - I know that even Jetstar staff are unhappy with the uncivilised pushing and queing - is there any moves to allocate seats? If they did this & went to a normal check-in system (rather than the one desk for each flight at Mel) they would be on par with Vermin, or even slightly ahead with QP access.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 5:46 pm

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
Agreed that not having pre-allocated seating is an issue.

But I've found that it can work in your favour too:- Of my 8 J* flights, I have been able to get exit row seating on all of them. The method is to check-in reasonably early to get in the first 'regular' boarding group.

So far, on all 8 flights, the passengers filled the plane starting from the front rows. No one (except for me) seemed to care about exit rows. Even with 30 persons in front of me, the exit rows have always been empty by the time I got to them. It's given me 8 reasonably pleasant flights.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 7:51 pm

Programs: QF Silver (OW Ruby)
Originally Posted by CorporateFlyer
The lining up for seating is still an issue - even with the colour coded system - I know that even Jetstar staff are unhappy with the uncivilised pushing and queing - is there any moves to allocate seats? If they did this & went to a normal check-in system (rather than the one desk for each flight at Mel) they would be on par with Vermin, or even slightly ahead with QP access.
Interesting, I wonder why people don't sit on exit rows?
Well, aeroplane are like buses, or like the discount flights within Europe. They give you a ticket and you are in. You sort yourself out. No I wonder now they call why cattle class.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 12:29 am

I think it's cause people aren't aware that the exit rows in the middle of the plane have extra legroom.

They probably also want to be off the plane as soon as possible...

I havn't flown J* yet, so I havn't experienced their boarding system.

To the OP, Qantas claim that they are constantly reviewing their check-in system for J* and that further changes may happen. If enough customers give feedback then it may get changed.

I'm curious though just how much more "handling" having seat allocation creates and what savings are made...
Old Jan 10, 2005, 3:30 am

Programs: MPO, QF, Avis Preferred, Gold Passport, SPG, HHonours, Golden Circle, Marriott
J*'s boarding system is OK if you check in early enough. I always get there early and head str8 to the QC for the next couple of hours...

When it comes to boarding, just get to the gate a few minutes before they actually board the flight and it's not too hard to position yourself at the head of the queue. From there, all the mum and dads travelling with their kids dive for the first couple of rows leaving the exit rows for frequent travellers like us!!

All really civilised if you ask me!!

Cheers!
Old Jan 10, 2005, 3:53 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
They probably also want to be off the plane as soon as possible...
Yes, if you get to the airport 2hrs early you too can get off the plane 2 or 3 minutes faster than the people sitting in the back row. I've only flown JQ four times, and really didn't worry about the "sitting up the front" thing (actually got exit row each time as well). I'd rather an hour flight to take 99 minutes (check in 35 mins before departure, 4 extra mins to get off plane) than 3hrs.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
I'm curious though just how much more "handling" having seat allocation creates
I'd guess at about a $5 or $10 per pax worth of extra "handling"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.