Search

Sydney to the Coonawarra?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2005, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
Sydney to the Coonawarra?

Hi,

Having visited a number of wine regions around Australia, next on the list is the Coonawarra region.

Having a quick Google tells me the closet airport to fly into is Mount Gambier. From Sydney I presume this gives me five choices:

Syd-mel-MGB with QF/ O'Conner Air
SYD-mel-MGB with QF/ REX
SYD-Albury-MEL-MGB with REX
SYD-ADL-MGB with QF/ REX
SYD-ADL-MGB with QF/ O'Conner

Has anyone done any of the above routing before? Since I am going to interline regardless of carrier (unless I take option 3) I presume the fare calculation will be based on SYD-MEL and MEL-MGB or SYD-ADL and ADL-MGB?

What is the minimum connection time for QF to ??? in Mel and ADL and vv? Is there a web site that I can look up MCT's?

Does any one have any recommendations on where to stay and eat in the Coonawarra. Also does anyone know of any private car companies that operate at a reasonable rate in the area so I can sample and not have to worry about driving?

Thanks
Old Jan 8, 2005, 5:38 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
My only suggestion is to fly into ADL and rent a car from there. Probably the same amount of driving as if you went into MGB - and you'd still have to rent anyway. Much better chance of a reasonable airfare. Sorry, no ideas about your other questions - but sounds like you are going to do the area in style!
Old Jan 8, 2005, 10:38 am

Programs: QF LTG AC *G
The Coonawarra wine region is centred around Penola.

Not too sure on flights into Mt Gambier, driving time from Mt Gambier to Penola is only about an hour if my memory serves me. Driving from ADL is probably something like 4-5 hours I think, although this is probably a much cheaper option than flying into Mt Gambier. Depends if you are on a really short time schedule, if the connect time in ADL is a couple of hours its going to be about equal either way.

In Penola, the Rectory B&B is quite a nice friendly spot (stayed there about 4 yrs ago) but it is a B&B, not sure what style of accommodation you are looking for.

Make sure you go to Wynns (my favourite) and check out the 100 yr old vines along the driveway, they have trunks like trees.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 3:33 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
A look at Amadeus indicates that MCT through MEL for transfers QF-->UQ (O'Connor) is about 45 mins, with total travel of time of about 3hr20min. Through ADL is seems to be as low as 30 mins, but of course travel time longer. Note though QF & ZL (Rex) do not interline, but QF & UQ do, and DJ & ZL interline as well.

As far as driving goes, Penola is about 4 hrs from ADL (350km) or half an hour from MGB (about 40km - as the airport is actually on the Penola side of town anyway). So the extra hour or so of flying, still puts you a good 2 hours + ahead of driving, and far less tiring (although you could drive through McLaren Vale and the Robe area enroute to the Coonawara for some pleasant diversions). Flights from MEL/ADL --> MGB are in $100 range, meaning you're looking at minimum of around $400 for the trip (or 20,000 QF points if you can get a seat on QF/UQ).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.