SC's on AA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2005, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
SC's on AA

Hi there,

Do B Fares earn full SC's on AA.

In the QFF terms and conditions it doesn't say anything about SC earning, just points earning. IE YBKH earn Full Y points.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 12:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Only Y will earn full status credits.

The only case where BHK earn full credits is on domestic flights within Australia

Dave
Old Jan 5, 2005, 4:33 pm

Programs: Qantas Gold, Marriot Silver, Sofitel, USAir, Delta,Meritus,Plat IC Ambassador
Does the reverse go? I'd like to book K class on AA to earn QF SC's...

The Qantas line here in the US said that BHKY counted as full economy for the purpose of earning status credits. But the US Qantas agent seemed a bit unsure when she answered me.

However that also seems to be how to read this chart on the Qantas Website for AA:
http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/...m/terms#jump23

American Airlines
GLMNSV Discount Economy 0.5
BHKY Economy 1

Thanks for any advice!
Old Jan 5, 2005, 4:42 pm

Programs: QP Life, AA Nothing, QF Bronze
Dave is correct, but I can't see where this information is available on the QF web site.

There is certainly a lack of information in the on-line Terms and Conditions. Clause 19 in part says:
19.1.3 Status Credits are not earned for travel on:
(a) certain oneworld Alliance Airline and Airline Partner fare types and routes (see the Airline Earning Table for details);
But the Airline Earning Table has no mention whatsoever of Status Credits.

Similarly, 19.1.2 states:
Status Credits are earned for paid travel on regular scheduled flights of Qantas, oneworld Alliance Airlines, Air Pacific and QantasLink, or other airlines as determined by Qantas. The number of Status Credits earned varies depending on the fare class shown on the ticket used for travel.
Not very helpful, since "as determined by Qantas" promises nothing.

Is there anywhere on the QF web site where this information is made explicit?

Last edited by Alan in CBR; Jan 5, 2005 at 4:44 pm
Old Jan 5, 2005, 4:46 pm

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by Alan in CBR
Is there anywhere on the QF web site where this information is made explicit?
This looks like it.

* For domestic flights within Australia, Discount Economy includes Super Saver (classes G, L, M, R, S, V and W) and Red e-Deal (classes N, O and Q). For International flights, including domestic flights within New Zealand Discount Economy includes classes B, G, H, K, L, M, N, O, Q, S, V, W.

** For domestic flights within Australia, Full Economy includes Fully Flexible (classes Y, B, H) and Flexi Saver (class K). International flights, including domestic flights within New Zealand (class Y).
Old Jan 5, 2005, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by StevePER
Yep, that helps a lot. Thanks.

I'm still a little concerned though, because it doesn't tell the full story. For example an L class fare on an American Airlines flight (not sold with a QF number) earns no status credits.

If you follow the link (as QF suggests) to the points calculator it shows status credits as well as points, but has the disclaimer, "This calculator indicates points earned on Qantas flights only. Other earning opportunities may also exist on oneworldTM and partner airlines." Again, wishy-washy expressions like "may also exist" don't really help.

Confusing for those without the wisdom of FTers to fall back on.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 12:04 am

I'm still a little concerned though, because it doesn't tell the full story. For example an L class fare on an American Airlines flight (not sold with a QF number) earns no status credits.

Confusing for those without the wisdom of FTers to fall back on.
Your example is flawed since L class on AA does earn SCs.

The SC earning across all carriers is nicely explained at http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/...m/terms#jump23

which nicely shows which classes are eliagble for mileage earning and therefore eligable for Status credit earning as long as they comply with rule 19.1.2 and 19.1.3

"19.1.2 Status Credits are earned for paid travel on regular scheduled flights of Qantas, oneworld Alliance Airlines, Air Pacific and QantasLink, or other airlines as determined by Qantas. The number of Status Credits earned varies depending on the fare class shown on the ticket used for travel."

"19.1.3 Status Credits are not earned for travel on:
(a) certain oneworld Alliance Airline and Airline Partner fare types and routes (see the Airline Earning Table for details);
(b) infant fares unless the infant is travelling in their own paid seat;
(c) charter flights;
(d) free tickets, including tickets issued as Award Flights or rewards;
(e) travel industry rebated tickets;
(f) competition prize tickets;
(g) tickets acquired at an auction; or
(h) tickets which are subject to any specific provisions excluding the accumulation of Points."

It's all in there, just need to know where to look

Dave
Old Jan 6, 2005, 4:30 am

Programs: Qantas Gold, Marriot Silver, Sofitel, USAir, Delta,Meritus,Plat IC Ambassador
Sorry, I think I'm a bit dense at this time in the morning...

Do I read it correctly that if I flew a US domestic flight on AA that was 500 (real) miles. In BHKY Economy, I would get 1:1 miles (500 min) and 20 status credits?
That seems to be as suggested by the AA listing on:

But if I flew BHK on an American Airlines international flight that was also international, I would earn 1:1 miles but 10 status credits?

As suggested by the "For International flights, including domestic flights within New Zealand Discount Economy includes classes B, G, H, K, L, M, N, O, Q, S, V, W.

http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/...ivileges#jump1
Or does this chart just apply to Qantas flights?

To quote the movie "Beetlejuice" It's like reading a stereo manual.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by driscj
Sorry, I think I'm a bit dense at this time in the morning...

Do I read it correctly that if I flew a US domestic flight on AA that was 500 (real) miles. In BHKY Economy, I would get 1:1 miles (500 min) and 20 status credits?
That seems to be as suggested by the AA listing on:

But if I flew BHK on an American Airlines international flight that was also international, I would earn 1:1 miles but 10 status credits?

As suggested by the "For International flights, including domestic flights within New Zealand Discount Economy includes classes B, G, H, K, L, M, N, O, Q, S, V, W.

http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/...ivileges#jump1
Or does this chart just apply to Qantas flights?

To quote the movie "Beetlejuice" It's like reading a stereo manual.
It is v straightforward.... As explained in

"* For domestic flights within Australia, Discount Economy includes Super Saver (classes G, L, M, R, S, V and W) and Red e-Deal (classes N, O and Q). For International flights, including domestic flights within New Zealand Discount Economy includes classes B, G, H, K, L, M, N, O, Q, S, V, W.

** For domestic flights within Australia, Full Economy includes Fully Flexible (classes Y, B, H) and Flexi Saver (class K). International flights, including domestic flights within New Zealand (class Y)."

Domestic flights within AUSTRALIA , YBHK earn full economy status credits. All other eligable fares earn discount economy status credits

All other flights, then only full Y earns full economy status credits. All other eligable fares earn discount economy status credits.

For mileage earning, refer to the airline earning table at http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn...am/terms#jump23

=>

If you fly on an American Airlines domestic flight within the USA in B,H or K class then you will earn discount economy status credits. If you fly in B class on a 600 mile US domestic flight on AA, you would earn 600 miles plus 10 SCs

Dave

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jan 6, 2005 at 5:16 am
Old Jan 6, 2005, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If you fly on an American Airlines domestic flight within the USA in B,H or K class then you will earn discount economy status credits. If you fly in B class on a 600 mile US domestic flight on AA, you would earn 600 miles plus 10 SCs

Dave
Thanks! This saves me from making a bad mistake this week. I'm 50 SC's short of gold and am getting a set of tickets this week. I'll make sure to include an extra segment in now so I get the 50 rather than the insufficient 40.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 4:20 pm

Your example is flawed since L class on AA does earn SCs.
Dave, I'm extremely hesitant to question you over this, since your knowledge of all things FF is way better than mine. However, I distinctly recall that when MONE4s became LONE4s, one of the issues was that QF FFs would get no points (and presumably no SCs) on AA flights booked on the AA number - you had to make sure you got a QF codeshare. Did I dream this?

Of course the November changes may well have changed this, in which case it's a good result for QF FFs stuck in WHY.

As I pointed out earlier, the points (and SCs) calculator has the disclaimer, "This calculator indicates points earned on Qantas flights only. Other earning opportunities may also exist on oneworldTM and partner airlines."

I think I may be reading too much into the fine print. Comes from reviewing too many legal contracts at work!

Alan.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 9:59 pm

Programs: QF LTG AC *G
Looks like flying US Air may be a better option if available than flying AA, a bunch of the discount buckets still seem to get full points and presumably SC's. ^
Old Jan 6, 2005, 11:53 pm

Dave, I'm extremely hesitant to question you over this, since your knowledge of all things FF is way better than mine. However, I distinctly recall that when MONE4s became LONE4s, one of the issues was that QF FFs would get no points (and presumably no SCs) on AA flights booked on the AA number - you had to make sure you got a QF codeshare. Did I dream this?
As from 1st July 2004 L class on became eligable for mileage earning on Aadvantage. ( see http://www.aa.com/apps/AAdvantage/Vi...artnersContent )
[/QUOTE]
Old Jan 6, 2005, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by HeyAussie
Looks like flying US Air may be a better option if available than flying AA, a bunch of the discount buckets still seem to get full points and presumably SC's. ^
I don't believe that status Credits are earned on US.

Dave
Old Jan 7, 2005, 12:21 am

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
I don't believe that status Credits are earned on US.
SCs can only be earned on Oneworld airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.