Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Format for Booking Flights!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2004, 8:16 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum/Oneworld Emerald, Qantas Lifetime Gold
Could seeing the new format have something to do with being logged in? I went to the 'booking' screen from the 'my summary' page - or whatever, I was looking at a future booking.

Maybe it's only accessible if you're logged in as a FF?
Just a thought.

RickyT, thanks for the tip on a/c type.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Just tried it on a 56k connection and not logged in = got the new format. @:-)

QFBoy
Old Nov 25, 2004, 8:53 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by AllyB
Could seeing the new format have something to do with being logged in? I went to the 'booking' screen from the 'my summary' page - or whatever, I was looking at a future booking.

Maybe it's only accessible if you're logged in as a FF?
Just a thought.

RickyT, thanks for the tip on a/c type.
Not for me. Was logged in and didnt see any change.

Even more If I was paranoid I'd say the (non)changes to website are a distraction from the main issue at hand - the QFF changes.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 10:14 pm

Programs: QF SG-OW Sapphire, AA nobody, Marriott nobody, Velocity-where everybody's a nobody,Hertz#1 Club Gold
Don't the QF webservers dynamically serve customised pages depending on where you are in the world based on IP address??
For example I'm in SYD AU and if I open the URL http://www.qantas.com.au
the address bar in my browser changes to http://www.qantas.com.au/regions/dyn...fier-region-au is it loads the page. So therfore in theory a user in NZ who requests www.qantas.com.au should receive a page that is customised for the NZ market. I can't test this here because of my dynamically allocated iinet IP but my guess would be that a NZ user would be served a page where the address is http://www.qantas.com.au/regions/dyn...fier-region-nz. (or something similar). This would probably apply to other countries as well.
The U.K. might be.....
http://www.qantas.com.au/regions/dyn...fier-region-uk for example.

Actually after writing all this I've checked the drop down "Your Region" list on the top lefthand corner of www.qantas.com.au and this is exactly what happens. So my guess is that they are implementing this change to AU customers only probably to test and debug then roll out the changes to all others in a day or 10.

Further to this I've noticed that if I log on to www.qantas.com.au and do a search for domestic flights SYD-BNE-SYD (being my most travelled route) for dates of travel before 06/01/05 I receive the "old search results page". If I use dates after 08/01/05 I receive the "new search results page" Even further playing with it I notice that if I use dates for travel with the forward sector being before 06/01/05 and the return sector being after 08/01/05 I receive the "old search results" page. This also appears to be the case wether I'm logged on to my FF account or not.

One wonders what others changes QF might be introducing around, on or after 07/01/05......go ahead call me paranoid

Last edited by Dazer; Nov 25, 2004 at 10:29 pm Reason: spelling
Old Nov 25, 2004, 10:20 pm

Programs: QF UA BI
looks like it depends on the search dates. I get the old page if i search up until December. For dates from Jan forward i get the new screen.

although it wouldnt be like QF to make me look stupid
Old Nov 25, 2004, 10:25 pm

Programs: QF SG-OW Sapphire, AA nobody, Marriott nobody, Velocity-where everybody's a nobody,Hertz#1 Club Gold
Originally Posted by Ascent
looks like it depends on the search dates. I get the old page if i search up until December. For dates from Jan forward i get the new screen.

although it wouldnt be like QF to make me look stupid
Yep..as per my post above. 07/01/05 seems to be the "changover" date between old and new search results pages
Old Nov 25, 2004, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Well spotted!

With 1st january I get the old format, 26th I get the new.

The old format gives the cheapest available fares per 'trip', the new gives all available.

One of the uses of this would be to enable those who may wish to upgrade the luxury of selecting the eligible SuperSaver rather than Red e-Deals.

Other Differences:
      Old Nov 25, 2004, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
      Well spotted!
      Why thank you

Other Differences:
          Actually there is an adjust date/time selector at the top right of "flights out" and "flights back" The link is "change dates" and is a dropdown calender.

and...yes serfty I discovered the new tabbed pages of the "Flexible with dates" option which is what I used to figure out the change over date and found this new feature quite usefull

Last edited by Dazer; Nov 25, 2004 at 11:03 pm
          Old Nov 25, 2004, 11:01 pm
          A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

"If you are really keen, select the "Flexible with dates" option and 'tab' your way to nirvana! "

I can't find nirvana in the list of airports, do u know what the code for it is?

I don't like the new format, far too cluttered, the current format is far neater imo... hardly relevant though given that 5 :-: dsns don't book on qantas.com

Dave
          Old Nov 25, 2004, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
          I can't find nirvana in the list of airports, do u know what the code for it is?
          Dave
          Dave, Isn't it NIR? It's an airport somewhere in Tibet I hear

Last edited by Dazer; Nov 25, 2004 at 11:09 pm
          Old Nov 26, 2004, 12:54 am

Programs: QP Silver; CX MPC Green; Virgin AusRed
          Originally Posted by DAzer
          Yep..as per my post above. 07/01/05 seems to be the "changover" date between old and new search results pages
          Ummmmm.....if you initially use the old-format to book/search a flight for example (20th Dec, just a random day), when the flights shows up (in the old format of course) and you try to change the day after 7/1/05 (a random day of 20th January) with the option in the bottom left, no matter whcih dates you put it, the fares would be displayed in the old format.

Before everyone points out how much time I have , all I have got to say was it's weird or is it a bug that QF need to iron out?

Ricky

Last edited by RickyT; Nov 26, 2004 at 1:03 am
          Old Nov 26, 2004, 4:19 am
          FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
          Originally Posted by Dazer
          Don't the QF webservers dynamically serve customised pages depending on where you are in the world based on IP address??
          For example I'm in SYD AU and if I open the URL http://www.qantas.com.au
          the address bar in my browser changes to http://www.qantas.com.au/regions/dyn...fier-region-au is it loads the page. So therfore in theory a user in NZ who requests www.qantas.com.au should receive a page that is customised for the NZ market. I can't test this here because of my dynamically allocated iinet IP but my guess would be that a NZ user would be served a page where the address is http://www.qantas.com.au/regions/dyn...fier-region-nz. (or something similar). This would probably apply to other countries as well.
          The U.K. might be.....
          http://www.qantas.com.au/regions/dyn...fier-region-uk for example.
          Although the mystery's been solved, I don't think this is the way the site works. Although I'm UK-based, I always get to the main Oz site when using either www.qantas.com or www.qantas.com.au and have to manually change to the UK site if I should want to see what's there.

There's usually nothing to see there, of course, so I seldom bother.
          Old Nov 26, 2004, 4:49 am
          FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
          Talking where is nirvana?

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
          I've been navel gazing and texting my guru about this.

After she left her Directors meeting she sent me the following SMS:
          Originally Posted by Text Message
          Nirvana has no IATA Airport code as it's only accessible for one way trips. And once you get there it doesn't matter!
          However there is a clue in the phrase "'TAB' your way to nirvana!". As far as I can make out, TAB is the IATA code for Tobago.

So maybe next year we can have an Xmas meeting at TAB and contemplate such things as: our navels, the local supply of HP's, where is the QP (or equiv) and when does the next trip for Nirvana depart?
          Old Nov 26, 2004, 10:51 am
          NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
          So maybe next year we can have an Xmas meeting at TAB and contemplate such things as: our navels, the local supply of HP's, where is the QP (or equiv) and when does the next trip for Nirvana depart?
          The only way I am going to get to Nirvana via TAB is if someone lets me know who will win the 5th at Flemmington before the race starts . But since that would be gambling, I could end up going to HEL via SIN instead .
          Old Nov 26, 2004, 11:52 am
          Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
          For QF NZ site I just use www.qantas.co.nz takes straight there. Confirm stays old format even for dates after 7 Jan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.