Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Who has provided QF feedback on the changes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who has provided QF feedback on the changes?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2004, 11:51 pm

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Originally Posted by StevePER
I've just received a response to my feedback on the changes. Nothing particularly exciting, but I'm moderately pleased that they're making some effort to customise the response to the points each of us are raising.

I'm not sure what they mean about that last comment. I haven't given them any continued custom or support since the changes! The only contact I've had with them was to try to change an award booking. They insisted on charging me 5,000 points, so I went and bought a flight off Air New Zealand instead!

Steve
the 5k points thing ive never been charged when changing flights, however routing changes has always cost 5k, several times, even being wp
Old Dec 13, 2004, 12:59 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by d00t
the 5k points thing ive never been charged when changing flights, however routing changes has always cost 5k, several times, even being wp
Same thing here - they were happy to change the flight for free, but the routing change that we wanted was 5,000 points each. Even with my conservative valuation of points, it was cheaper to buy extra NZ flights. Plus I get to fly on a Beechcraft 1900. Having never been on anything smaller than a 737, it should be fun!

Steve
Old Dec 13, 2004, 7:43 am

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Originally Posted by StevePER
Plus I get to fly on a Beechcraft 1900. Having never been on anything smaller than a 737, it should be fun!
Steve
*jealous*

Just a thought.. if the increase in points to redeem award flights has increased, and the reason is that no other increases have happened over the last few years..

1) Why are there constantly "specials" on points? Ie: SYD-SIN (35,000), and more recently BNE-LAX (60,000) if its no longer viable for the masses to redeem at the `normal` rate?

2) Airfares have not increased much in the past 3 years - if anything they have DECREASED??!!?!

3) The mass of FF points would be "owned' by australian citizens living in Australia. Yet the cost of just about all flights out of australia on QF costs considerably more than if you were to purchase the same flights, in reverse from another country.
Eg: RTW (J/F as low as $5000AU), SIN-> AU (often SG$400 return), US->AU (often $1000AU return)

It would appear that QF is trying to double dip by devaluing the points that other companies have already paid for on behalf of their customers.
Were they just lying to their customers or am I missing something?

And does this mean QF will continue to charge these companies the same amount$ per point for the 'privledge' of offering them to their customers?

Last edited by d00t; Dec 13, 2004 at 7:52 am Reason: **** airlines paid me to
Old Dec 13, 2004, 4:12 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by d00t
*jealous*

2) Airfares have not increased much in the past 3 years - if anything they have DECREASED??!!?!
True of cheapest available fare, but certainly not true of majority of fare types. Eg. (less than) 12 mths ago used to pay $625 for K class MEL-BNE return, now $717.

However, on FF seats Qantas do recover some of these fare increases anyway - through the ever spiralling taxes and surcharges component. Yesterday booked an award to regional WA - it cost 30,000 pts plus $83 in surcharges. Same booking made back on 29 July 2004 cost only $36 in surcharges. Come 25 May will also cost another 6,000 pts as well.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 6:40 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by lokijuh
True of cheapest available fare, but certainly not true of majority of fare types. Eg. (less than) 12 mths ago used to pay $625 for K class MEL-BNE return, now $717.
And the premium cabin fares have all risen significantly in the last 3 years. A DONE4 has gone up by about A$1500. The lasgt rise a few months back was about $500.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 9:22 pm
Suspended

As a QF Platinum member, I have raised my concern about the changes to the programme. I personally feel rather cheated by the airline. Perhaps, they might consider renaming the concept of loyalty programme to disloyalty programmes. Certainly QF seems to know how to Master this skill with Flying Honours.

My key concerns are in the utilisation of upgrades. On other airlines, I have the peace of mind knowing that I can use my miles for an upgrade days, weeks or months in advance with a confirmed seat (particularly reserving my favourite seat in the Business or First Class cabin). With the on-the-day upgrade upon check-in, I would have to play a guessing game wheather or not I will be given an upgrade. Given my high status within the programme, my chances are high but for those lower elite or non-elite status, it is a pure torture.

The overall changes are not positive and I am considering a switch to either Cathay's Asia Miles or American's AAdvantage programme if Qantas doesn't do anything about it. If they don't listen to our concerns and don't consult us about the shift in their strategy, then why should I give my valuable business to them. I always believe in a trde off from each side. However, in this instance, the trade off is imbalanced and skewed to QF's favour.

Old Jan 5, 2005, 5:56 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
It was a personal email reply from the QFF

I do give Qantas full marks on the human generated response as this is the first time I managed to get any reply at all.

<quote>
I was concerned to read your e-mail and would like, at the outset, to express my sincere regret at the impression you've gained regarding Perth-based Frequent Flyer members. I'd also like to assure you that Perth-based residents have not been specifically targeted as you suggest. While I can understand your frustration in not obtaining seats from Perth, I would like to advise that as with any flights, be they commercial or Award, availability is limited. This is especially the case for Perth as contrary to your e-mail, popular ports of origin and destination are booked months in advance, especially in peak travel periods.
</quote>

Loyalty is as much based on perceptions as on fact. No doubts in the case of PER-SIN there will be seriously better availability under the new FF program. Alas the price in miles when compared with the available discount airfares and/or the competition will make the mileage requirements for awards ex PER prohibitive. There is better value elsewhere - it is just the most convenient and desirable use of my miles. Just my perception.

I consider the 5000 mile bonus for 450 SC to be worthless and said so. No comments were made in response to my comparison of QF Plat and AA EXPlat. I did acknowledge that it is easier to obtain and retain the QFPlat but I questioned the QF benefits. Especially since if I manage to schedule a trip to a conference in Oct/Nov. I could then go either way.

Will I travel enough in 2006/07 to make the QF status worth more than the AA eVIPs? Will AA gut their program?

I suggested that if QF does not add premium economy seats (in enough quantity to actually get one - either paid or award) trans-pacific they may loose my business totally.
Business is now out of my budget except for DONEx.

I also mentioned that being as I am closer to retirement than university, I did not appreciate 13 hour flights with no options for breaking the flights into smaller sections.
Maybe I got used to the stop in HNL or BAH in the 1980s.
I made a number of comments regarding PER and transPacfic scheduling, a number of which have been discussed in variations on this group. Adding a PER flight to complete the ADL-AKL service (but at a reasonable time) may be the only new thought. Though I said that LAX-CNS-PER would be a lot shorter than going through SYD and PER-BOM might be a reasonable alternative to EK. Both would help solve the 13 hour issue.

<quote>Your comments and detailed suggestions for Award seat availability and proposed scheduled changes are greatly appreciated. Rest assured your letter has been forwarded to the relevant department...... </quote>

I hope we will some minor adjustments to both the program and schedules in the next 6 months. I am not holding my breath. Nor will I have 100K miles in my QFF account in six months.

WF
Old Jan 5, 2005, 3:16 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold VIP,QP Gold, PC Platinum, pleb everthing else
My 2c worth

As previous posts have suggested, writing to Qantas is a waste of time. The only thing that will engender a genuine response is loss of business. We are too small in numbers as a community (FTers) to create any waves. I concur with tinkybelle and have redeemed 260,000 points for awards in 2005 and will clear out most of the balance by May 25 for early 2006 awards. I will still fly enough domestically each year to retain QC Silver which gets me preferred checkin which is all I need. I will not fly QF internationally again unless I have no option or the cost differential is too great which is most unlikely. Qantas do not care about my $40k annual travel budget and they have lost me as an international customer. They will not miss me and I will not miss them.

Star Alliance offer more options ex Australia anyway to anywhere. Staying loyal has no upside.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by John Cogley
Star Alliance offer more options ex Australia anyway to anywhere.
As long as "anywhere" excludes most of the southern hemisphere
Old Jan 5, 2005, 9:12 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold VIP,QP Gold, PC Platinum, pleb everthing else
True but the only place in the Southern Hemispehere I am interested in is where I am already apart from Sydney of course, and Noosa, and Cairns etc.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 10:16 pm

Programs: QF SG
I had cause to email the Service Centre last week after QF stuffed up a request to link two separate bookings together on the same flight back from AKL last week. The Service Centre said it had been done when I rang up to make the request but upon checking in found it hadnt and as a result MrsMR and I were seated at opposite ends of the plane. Now some may have seen this as a positive but as two spherical objects may have been at risk if I had left it like that, I managed to get two new seats together but they were at the back of the tube in row 58. Situation was then compounded when we were last to get served food and they had ran out of our choice. A sigh and comment of dismay to the CSR resulted in a very sarcastic response of "I wouldnt complain if I were you as the crew only get a hot sandwich".

Anyway, fired of the email from the website and got the usual automated response saying that my comments would be passed to the appropriate department. Out of the blue, I actually got a phone call today from a very nice lady at QF offering their apologies (but no freebies ). She pointed out that QF were making a big effort on Customer Service as they realised that passengers had an ever expanding choice these days and whilst the issue of linking the two bookings together would have to be put down as a stuff-up or oversight, there was no excuse for the CSR behaing like he did and she would ensure that he was appropriately reprimanded.

I then asked her that as she was being so nice, could she wind back the changes to the FF program. She must have been reading D:-:Ns posts as she said that as a SG I would stand to benefit most as it would open up more upgrade availability. When I mentioned that might be true if there were no CLs or WPs in the queue in front of me, she laughed (in a nice way). I then added that upgrade availability doesnt really help in purchasing long haul seats whose cost has risen dramatically with the changes and she had to agree.

All up, was most impressed to get a personal call instead of the usual email and whilst it was clear that the lady was preaching the QF line (and doing it very well and heartfelt) she seemed to recognise some the issues caused by the FF changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.