Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Virgin Blue: blind woman with guide dog not allowed to board

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Blue: blind woman with guide dog not allowed to board

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2004, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF, IB
Thumbs down Virgin Blue: blind woman with guide dog not allowed to board

(From Courier Mail 13 Nov)

VISUALLY impaired woman was turned away from a Brisbane flight yesterday because her guide dog did not have an absorbency mat.

Virgin Blue has pledged to review its staff training procedures but its "insensitivity" has sparked anger from Katrina Stewart's family and has concerned Guide Dogs Queensland.

Mrs Stewart, who lost her eyesight to cancer when she was a child, tried to board a Virgin Blue flight to Melbourne early yesterday morning with her two children, but was told to take a bus because Nari did not have a special absorbency mat.

"They didn't tell me I needed one (when I booked) and (at the airport) wouldn't tell me where I could buy one," Mrs Stewart said. "I started to cry, which is really embarrassing for me because I wanted to stay calm and resolve the situation."

She was also refused a refund so she could pay for a flight on another airline.

Fed up, Mrs Stewart turned to Qantas for help and was in the air within 40 minutes.

She has vowed never to travel with Virgin Blue again.

Virgin Blue spokesman David Huttner told.....

http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.a...5E3102,00.html
Old Nov 12, 2004, 9:54 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum,AA,NW,HA,Hyatt Gold
Wow! What a black eye for that Airline!
Old Nov 12, 2004, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by hwk1948
Wow! What a black eye for that Airline!
I agree, but after reading the article it seems to me that perhaps the couple are pushing it a little too far. Virgin did issue refunds and gave her credit for future and also issued official apology. "It's not enough???", come on, it was one employee that messed up, what else do they want?
Old Nov 12, 2004, 3:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It must be slow news day in Queensland

One member of staff possibly screwed up in not telling her that she would need a mat

The staff at the airport correctly refused to let her board since company policy stated that a mat was needed

The airline subsequently apologised, refunded the ticket plus gave compensation.

I take it that this is the 1st time ever that anyone has ever had a problem with Virmin and so is newsworthy. I can see how it would be distressing/upsetting for the passenger involved but I don't see it as newsworthy ( unless it is beat up virmin day )

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.