Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas ups fuel surcharge again

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2004, 5:55 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Originally Posted by lokijuh
And in other breaking news, taxis have added a $2 per hire fuel levy to cover increased petrol costs
Could this have been the news story that yuo were alluding to, lokijuh???

A $2 taxi levy from November 1, coupled with pro rata charges for hire cars and buses, is the latest initiative to lift revenues at Sydney Airport - putting it on track for record earnings again this year...
Old Oct 20, 2004, 6:01 pm
NM
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Post Airfares face review as fuel price soars

SOARING jet fuel prices have forced domestic airline Virgin Blue to review fares in a move that will see some increase while others fall.

The airline announced yesterday that it would not follow competitors Qantas and Jetstar by increasing the existing fuel surcharge to offset its fuel cost of $US60 ($82) a barrel.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 11:45 pm

Programs: QF SG
Originally Posted by QF WP
A $2 taxi levy from November 1, coupled with pro rata charges for hire cars and buses, is the latest initiative to lift revenues at Sydney Airport - putting it on track for record earnings again this year...
Did anyone else hear Max Moore-Wilton trying to justify this on radio yesterday? Heard him on ABC 702 and his key rationale seemed to be that every other airport does it so why shouldnt Sydney? Came across in a total arrogant, couldnt-care-less manner but what would expect from Howard's best buddy?
Old Oct 21, 2004, 1:42 am

Programs: QFF WP :-0, AC, FlyBuys, Porter's Liquor Store, Mother's Helper
I take the view that DJ by putting up the cost of the ticket is a fare increase by stealth. At least by adding it as a surcharge it is implying that it will be take away when possible. I note that market analysts are mixed on DJ's decision here with some saying that the price diference between DJ and QF is rapidly shrinking due to the increases DJ have applied to their tickets from March.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 7:16 am

Programs: QP Silver; CX MPC Green; Virgin AusRed
Originally Posted by Goldflyer
At least by adding it as a surcharge it is implying that it will be take away when possible. I note that market analysts are mixed on DJ's decision here with some saying that the price diference between DJ and QF is rapidly shrinking due to the increases DJ have applied to their tickets from March.
The fuel surcharge has some sort of negative connotation with it and I have said in my pervious post, DJ's marketing spin is better. Though, I have realised the fare difference between the two has been shrinking over the past few months or so (since I frequently check their websites to hunt cheap fares).

For example:

A (sample) routing of MEL - SYD return, departing on the 13th of Decemeber in the morning, returning next day evening.

DJ 809 08:15 - 09:35 MEL -SYD $105
QF 010 08:25 -09:45 MEL - SYD $114

DJ 772 18:00 - 19:30 SYD - MEL $115
QF 459 18:00 - 19:30 SYD - MEL $107

Of course, with QF you will get free hot dinners (on 459), snacks and drinks, with DJ you will get nothing.

So the 'price review' is in fact a de-facto fuel surcharge.....IMHO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.