Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas AGM: Brisbane, October 21

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2004, 12:37 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by dannyr
I'm a sucker for charities [I was going to say I'm a sucker for little kids, but decidied to reword ]
And since we have 2 Mini NM's at that school, it seems a good use of our charity budget for the weekend .
Old Sep 17, 2004, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Unhappy Thread hijacker strikes again

I can always rely on NM to take a thread so far off topic that most posters forget the original point/question .....ably assisted this time by dannyr and IainF (to a lesser extent!)

dave4m, as for number of shares - you could hold 1 and you'll get an invite to the AGM.

I'm only now hoping that it's the week that I'll be in BNE as I have trips to ADL and PER to finalise next week, for October.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 1:34 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by QF WP
I can always rely on NM to take a thread so far off topic that most posters forget the original point/question .....ably assisted this time by dannyr and IainF (to a lesser extent!)
I didn't think we had done too bad. Up until now, no mention of scotch, wine, bus trips, metric time, daylight saving, etc .
Old Sep 17, 2004, 1:55 am

Programs: QF, IB
Originally Posted by NM
Last election the kids all came along and lined up for the sausage sizzle school fundraiser while we voted.
Mmmmm, sausage sizzles...I really miss them. Only chorizo here
Old Oct 4, 2004, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Just to resurrect this topic....

Qantas shareholders have been urged by a leading institutional investment adviser to reject the company's plan to lift directors' fees by more than 66 per cent...

As I am considering going to it (after all, it's in BNE), if anybody wants me to ask any questions, let me know here and I'll be more than happy to fire away.
Old Oct 17, 2004, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Question

Qantas has been caught in the widening net of shareholder activism by trade unions after the Australian Services Union wrote to some of the airline's shareholders seeking support for a vote against three resolutions at Thursday's annual general meeting....
Old Oct 20, 2004, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Now I'm as I can't attend the AGM tomorrow @ 2pm. A large client has rung at the last minute and can only see me @ 3pm tomorrow (they are at Cleveland). Believe me, Cleveland and South Brisbane are nowhere close to one another...so now my votes are wasted (as I can't lodge a proxy - had to be in by yesterday).

There will be a web cast (for those with time available tomorrow @ 2pm ) which will be accessible through www.qantas.com
Old Oct 20, 2004, 7:00 pm

Programs: QP Life, AA Nothing, QF Bronze
D@mn, that's bad news QF WP. I was really looking forward to hearing an insider's report.

Hope you charge the client lots.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 3:43 am

Programs: AA EXP
News from today's AGM

From ABC News:
Qantas chief executive Geoff Dixon has told shareholders the airline is ready for a stoush with unions.

Qantas has dismissed claims of a 66 per cent pay increase for its board of directors as union "mischief making".

From SMH:
Qantas Airways claimed today some unions were doing their best to damage it commercially by threatening industrial action over the decision to set up cabin crew bases in London.
Qantas chairman Margaret Jackson told the meeting that the airline would not introduce discount travel or benefits for shareholders, because it would be inequitable.
"We do consider the issue of shareholder discounts regularly," she said.
"But the board believes that shareholder discounts would be inequitable."
Ms Jackson reminded the floor that a large number of shareholders were institutions.
She also also said shareholders can participate in the airline's Frequent Flier program and take advantage of special airfares offered during the year.
However, she said the company would look at offering Qantas Club membership to shareholders of 10 years or more.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 4:48 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
The full webcast of the AGM is available online here.

I have only watched part of it, and I can't say I am unhappy with their stance regarding shareholder discounts.

I note that they are considering ways of rewarding shareholders in the future. Perhaps one way would be to give shareholders free FF membership, then treat them like SG and WP members for reward flights (namely, use the T bucket rather than the X bucket).

They would at least need to get some flights on the board to get the points that way (unless they get them all from CC's and so on).

Dave
Old Oct 21, 2004, 7:06 am

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
Colesmyer had their shareholder discount card, and that ended up being dropped. So sure Qantas could talk about something for shareholders but don't think it will happen.

Maybe a couple of freebie lounge passes, the ones you get when you reach silver, but I still reckon highly unlikely.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 7:25 am

Programs: QP Silver; CX MPC Green; Virgin AusRed
Originally Posted by deeruck
She also also said shareholders can participate in the airline's Frequent Flier program and take advantage of special airfares offered during the year.
I am confused with that comment, isn't ANYONE (not only Qf shareholders) can particpate in FF program and take advantage of special airfares when they are offered?

thadocta's idea about waiving the FF membership fee is excellent though. (Perhaps I might join QF FF if this is the case).
Old Oct 21, 2004, 8:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

"thadocta's idea about waiving the FF membership fee is excellent though. (Perhaps I might join QF FF if this is the case)."

It's hardly difficult for anyone to avoid the joining fee if they know someone with a foreign address. As long as you give a non Australian/New Zealand address when joining, there is no fee to pay. Just join up overseas and a cpl of months later "move" to Australia

Dave
Old Oct 21, 2004, 7:13 pm
MJA

Programs: QF Plat & Partner Gold, QF Life Gold, SPG Gold , Hilton Gold, CO, MH, VS Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by thadocta
The full webcast of the AGM is available online here.

I note that they are considering ways of rewarding shareholders in the future. Perhaps one way would be to give shareholders free FF membership, then treat them like SG and WP members for reward flights (namely, use the T bucket rather than the X bucket).

Dave
I think free FF membership after hold x number of shares for x period would be OK (but as pointed out above, avoiding the joining fee is not rocket science).

But the benefits given to SG and WP members are only benefits while given out selectively. It's bad enough now, so would see the further dilution of benefites as counterproductive. At the end of the day, the shareholders aren't shareholders out of love for QF, they're making money on an investment..........eroding the benefits given to the people that spend the most with QF and thereby fund the shareholders dividends doesn't seem the way to go.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 9:27 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
I wasn't talking about ALL of the WP and SG benefits (lounge access, priority baggage and so on) - I was JUST talking about letting shareholders use the T bucket rather than the X bucket as a way of giving them "something".

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.