Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Invitation to dine with John Travolta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Invitation to dine with John Travolta

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2004, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Thumbs up Invitation to dine with John Travolta

I just received this as an email....

"Dear Mr QF WP,

Qantas Ambassador John Travolta will be visiting Australia in early May and has just agreed to join us for a black tie fundraising dinner to be held as part of our Sharing the Spirit programme. As a special opportunity for our Frequent Flyers, we would like to invite you and your partner to join us at the dinner, to be held (address withheld for privacy reasons) on (date withheld for privacy reasons).

Apart from the opportunity to meet John you will also be able to view his aircraft, a former Qantas 707. The cost of the ticket is $500 per couple and part of the funds raised on the evening will go towards CARE Australia, a Qantas-supported charity and one of Australia's leading overseas aid organisations.

Only 125 couples will be attending the dinner so we need your booking to secure your place as soon as possible..."

Now, I'll admit at first I thought it was a fake, because there wasn't the Qantas Platinum header and footer and properly set out...then again, it appears that it definitely targeted when I look at the email address...

Anybody else (particularly Plats from other States) get this invite and thinking "is it ridgy-didge or fake??"

Thought it might be worth surprising my wife for the night if it's real though...
what the hell, it's only money and I'm not likely to meet him again. Then I can get some photo's of his 707.....maybe even the inside!!

Last edited by QF WP; Apr 28, 2004 at 4:39 am Reason: corecting itallics
Old Apr 28, 2004, 5:34 am

Programs: QFWP, TG*S, ex-UA 1P
Same

Yeah, I got the same invite.

"Part of the funds raised will go to CARE Australia". LOL. I guess that will be the surplus funds after the cost of the food and service staff, the cost of decking out the jetbase, the cost of "hiring" the jet base for the evening, the cost of flying some QF big wigs down etc etc

What they should have said is "We'll throw a few pennies the way of the needy after we have taken our share and screwed the Aussie flying public yet again"
Old Apr 28, 2004, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Red face The plot thickens

Intriguingly, the email addy bounced my message - I asked for some clarity on the details (no time, parking, dress code, etc) before saying "YES!". I asked Mrs QF WP when she returned from shopping (Myer had 20% off sale tonight ), but alas she has just spent the cost of the ticket in clothes

I wonder if the number shown that I am meant to ring bounces me to talking to somebody in Uzbeckistan at some atronomical price???? Will have to try and call it quickly tomorrow.
Old Apr 28, 2004, 6:48 am

Programs: QF Bronze
Talking

There is a competition for staff to win places at the above mentioned functions to be held in MEL SYD and BNE. Considering the 707 is going to be there I'll bet its at the airport in a freezing hanger (in MELs case anyway)
Old Apr 28, 2004, 7:32 am

Programs: QFF WP :-0, AC, FlyBuys, Porter's Liquor Store, Mother's Helper
Originally Posted by B747-438
Yeah, I got the same invite.

"Part of the funds raised will go to CARE Australia". LOL. I guess that will be the surplus funds after the cost of the food and service staff, the cost of decking out the jetbase, the cost of "hiring" the jet base for the evening, the cost of flying some QF big wigs down etc etc

What they should have said is "We'll throw a few pennies the way of the needy after we have taken our share and screwed the Aussie flying public yet again"

Hmmm, tsk tsk, how synical. It's not like they need to give money to charity and without further information rather cutting as QF are normally a very good corporate citizen and support a vast array of community causes and very generously too.
Old Apr 28, 2004, 9:24 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
No invite waiting in this WP's in-box . I would have seriously considered it as a wedding anniversary present to Mrs NM (who is a big JT fan). I wonder if the portion of the $500 ticket price that goes to charity can be claimed as a donation for income tax purposes?
Old Apr 28, 2004, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Alas, NM, we would be paying our ticket cost to QF, that's definitely non-deductible. It would be QF making the contribution to CARE Australia after they work out any profits for the nights.

Likewise, I asked Mrs QF WP when she came home last night. Seemed that I was keener to meet John Travolta (and his 707) than she was.

Maybe I'll have a spare ticket and we can wife-swap for the night??
Old Apr 28, 2004, 5:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

No invite to this WP. How could QF overlook the 4* dsns for such invites, especially since I would have bought one

Dave
Old Apr 28, 2004, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Question Further information

Sounds like QFF didn't really have the plans firmly in place with QF Box Office for this event when I rang this afternoon.

Spoke to the person who is organising the BNE event and he mentioned that the top 100 QFF's from each State had been invited by QFF by bulk email and QF Box Office have their own list. I'm surprised that I made the top 100!! Had no idea I flew that much last year!!!

He has sent me the following email (snipped where applicable):

"As part of Qantas' Sharing The Spirit Community initiative, we would like to invite you and a partner to a special event with John Travolta that we are planning for a select group of Frequent Flyer customers. The event is a black tie Gala Dinner with John Travolta, whom is a special ambassador for Qantas, which is being held on (date snipped) at the (place snipped). The event is being offered to the top frequent flyers in Brisbane and their spouse/partner.

The exact format of the eveing is being planned to ensure Mr Travolta will circulate throughout the evening as much as possible, but will include a 3-course meal and entertainment. Part of the funds raised on the evening will go towards CARE Australia, and the cost of the ticket per couple is $500. As we are limiting this invitation to 100 of our frequent flyers, we will need your booking to secure your place as soon as possible. Upon booking, finalised details outlining the exact format of the evening will be sent out with the Entree Card. This will be sent approximately one week prior to the event. Final parking details for the evening are still to be confirmed, but travel by Taxi is advised, as parking will be limited."

He also sent me a booking form (that wasn't attached to the first email) that has all the relevant details about the event.

NM, I mentiond you to him so he has taken your details. Hope your email address is up-to-date! Seems that they have been having some trouble with top 100 FF's not having email addresses, so they are resorting to ringing them. He took my comments about the poor quality/lack of format, etc.

Dave Noble, I'll mention him to you when I confirm our seats.

Any other top Plats that didn't get one who REALLY want to go?
Old Apr 28, 2004, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by B747-438

Well, the booking form reads " QF will donate 50% of the cost of each ticket to CARE".

In addition, it states... "Due to the security requirements, the entree card + Photo ID will be required for entry to the event. Name changes will not be permitted within 48 hours of the event"
Old Apr 29, 2004, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Cool We're locked and loaded for the dinner

Just to make sure this was all above board, I rang QFF and they agreed it was kosher. The CSA was most excited that she was talking to somebody who had got an invite - they must have had a number of similar phone calls to mine today.

So, I have now booked by 2 seats at the BNE function. Hope to see another FT'er there, NM!! Will be taking along my digital camera for many happy pics and will post them to this Topic.

Last edited by QF WP; Apr 29, 2004 at 1:36 am Reason: Memo to self: type slower and you'll be more accurate!!
Old Apr 29, 2004, 12:51 am

Programs: QF WP, GP Diamond, HH Gold
Originally Posted by QF WP
Sounds like QFF didn't really have the plans firmly in place with QF Box Office for this event when I rang this afternoon.

Spoke to the person who is organising the BNE event and he mentioned that the top 100 QFF's from each State had been invited by QFF by bulk email and QF Box Office have their own list. I'm surprised that I made the top 100!! Had no idea I flew that much last year!!!
QF WP - just out of sheer curiosity - how many segments or SC's worth of flying did it take to be "top 100" last year in Qld (or for other States for those that received the invite)?

-QFCBR
Old Apr 29, 2004, 1:21 am

Perhaps the shindig is at his house?
http://www.rapp.org/archives/111703-travolta_estate.php
Old Apr 29, 2004, 1:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

"Just to make sure this was all above board, I rang QFF and they agreed it was kosher."

Did you have to tell them your special dietry requirements or is it kosher for all

Dave
Old Apr 29, 2004, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up Good point, Jamie

qfcbr, that's why I can't understand how I am top 100 - I only flew 1,130 SC's in my last membership year that ended 29 February (assuming that's how they looked at it). I must be number 99

My previous membership year was 2,365 SC's - I could sure understand on that level how I could be in top 100.

Haven't thought about calendar years SC's but that might slightly change things...

Interestingly, I have 0 SC's to my name since 1 March but I do have 7 bookings in the system (not that I think they'll have looked at that information).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.