Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

The NEW -what french are they serving in FIRST thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The NEW -what french are they serving in FIRST thread!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2004, 3:44 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by AshleyF
Food and wine always taste like airline food when you are flying. Sorry , but to me its a waste to pretend that my taste buds are operating the same way at 37K feet . I would much prefer to be given a bottle of the wine to enjoy on the ground .

I'm with you mate, I've never understood the fusspot posers who demand this or that wine in J or F. At altitude you can hardly enjoy it, and who on God's clean Earth wants a good red that is still in nappies?

I'm sure the Neil Perry worshipping rocket & balsamic latte set would love to have St Henry aboard QF2 to wash down their steak sandwich, but if it's the current release on sale in bottle shops, that is a tragic waste.
Old Apr 18, 2004, 10:58 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by shillard
I'm sure the Neil Perry worshipping rocket & balsamic latte set would love to have St Henry aboard QF2 to wash down their steak sandwich, but if it's the current release on sale in bottle shops, that is a tragic waste.
Last year QF was serving 96 St. Henri and they were very frugal with it (only 4 bottles per flight) so maybe it is still in stock. I didn't think it was a tragic waste.
Vibration and temperature change are the bigger problems for wine on aircraft, rather than altitude. Most of the damage occurs on the ground, esp. if the catering truck is left in the sun (I've seen strawberries that have fermented while waiting to be boarded, for example -- can't believe they left the catering kitchen like that).
Luckily airliners are pressurized to a low enough altitude that it isn't a significant factor for changing the sense of smell when it comes to wine. Do you really think people can't enjoy wine in cities like Johannesburg, Denver, Reno? Or at the jet-set ski resorts in the Alps (where some of the most expensive wine in the world flows like water)? Some of the best wine I've personally had has been above 5000 feet and it did not suffer. Above 10000 feet it does start to be a factor (as does the effects of alcohol).
A dead giveaway on bad wine on an airplane is a metallic taste. Some pinots are vulnerable to this (I think it is caused by vibration), but it can happen to almost any bottle of wine. With reasonable care it is possible for most airlines to serve decent wine and at a decent cost to the airline ... that's why I keep mentioning Leeuwin Art Series, which QF used to serve and was very good wine for the price. In a way the wine choice is a barometer of how well run the airline is (you can't really tell how well the airplane mechanicals are taken care of, but I've always figured that an airline cutting corners on food and wine cost is also cutting corners on everything else they spend money on, including repairing the engines, while an airline that is lavish with food and wine is also lavish on mechanical repairs).
Old Apr 24, 2004, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Angry SO not a lot of U travel in F!

Thought Id get some answers quicky here

Maybe you are al beer drinkers

Should I take my lowly moet ordinary
Old Apr 25, 2004, 12:32 pm
Original Member

I'm boycotting QF until they delivered the promised upgrades

I've had 4 flights YTD that were booked on QF in F and I've changed them; it didn't start out as a boycott, but the alternatives are so good (and improving), while QF disappoints in the past year. So this is my action plan, ball is now in QF's court. Not that QF cares, the flights I've checked are selling out, at least for the dates and routes that interest me, so QF probably thinks it has lots of happy customers. Of course it could be worse (just flew EI trans-Atlantic, and it makes AA look good).
Old Apr 26, 2004, 5:06 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
tinkybelle, it's a numbers game:

1. There aren't a lot of QF flights left with a 3-class config
2. There aren't a lot of seats in F
3. They are expensive seats and thus out of the price range for the majority of FT'ers flying QF [whether it's a paid fare (business or personal), op up or award).

Whilst I have been fortunate enough to have flown paid F, I can't say that I was too concerned about what Champagne was served on the flights. Yes, I loved being served champagne, but I've never had the classical "training" to know and taste the difference between a Dom and a Hardy's Regional Reserve Classic Cuvee (though I hope I'd recognise the difference in quality!!).

Truly, I also could also not tell the difference between a JW Blue, Grants or Laphroig (apologies to the diehard Scotch drinkers if I spelled it incorrectly).

I do agree that with the increase in price (and service levels) between classes, there should be a righful expectation of increase in the quality of the alcohol on offer to the pax.

Unfortunately, I cannot give any information towards your quest. Alas, my only chance of flying F in the distant future would be an op up to LHR later this year. I'm not holding my breath...
Old Apr 30, 2004, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

need to know urgently

Just bought a b/c qantas rtw.
Need to know if it is worth using points to upgrade but if the french isnt up to par
Old May 3, 2004, 6:52 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by tinkybelle
Need to know if it is worth using points to upgrade but if the french isnt up to par
Surely you could save on the fare difference by buying a bottle of your preferred poison, and taking it on-board in an esky?

It would be a classy look, if nothing else........
Old May 3, 2004, 1:34 pm

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
Well there are other reasons why you would upgrade, such as the flat bed and personal movie player. For me however I would be perfectly happy with J on QF and BA as:

On a long haul flight I don't find the F seats any easier to sleep in that J (seats are too hard).
The food and wine and ammenities kits are pretty much the same.
I don't really watch all that many movies, unless it's a day time flight.
I pack my own PJ's.
I get too hot with the doona anyway.
I already get F bag tags and access to the F lounge.
Old May 3, 2004, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

I need new PJs

Originally Posted by nonce
Well there are other reasons why you would upgrade, such as the flat bed and personal movie player. For me however I would be perfectly happy with J on QF and BA as:

I pack my own PJ's.

I already get F bag tags and access to the F lounge.
I dont get the F lounge and the PJs are a year old!

I hate the old J class across the pond.

Alass there are no Z class available on thurs
Old May 3, 2004, 4:00 pm

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
So is it worse to upgrade from D to F on JNB-SYD, if the aircraft shows the new seating with 6 rows in the upperdeck? and how many points it would be for an OW-upgrade ?
Old May 3, 2004, 5:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Which routing are you thinking of upgrading. If your upgrade is based on what champagne is served, then , imo, it is a waste of points; just buy a bottle of a decent vintage . If travelling on a non-skybed route , then I would upgrade for the comfort. If on a skybed route then I would just stay in J. If unconcerned about the comfort, then I see no reason to spend the points

Dave
Old May 4, 2004, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Talking Couldnt stand the thought of not knowing!

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Which routing are you thinking of upgrading. upgrade is . If travelling on a non-skybed route , then I would upgrade for the comfort. If on a skybed route then I would just stay in J. If unconcerned about the comfort, then I see no reason to spend the points

Dave
I just upgraded to F. Couldnt stand not having those new jammies!

yes i was on the syd-lax.just confirmed a day later which actually suited me.
virtually no possibility of a skybed.
so ill get to tell u all of the sommiliers choice.
Old May 10, 2004, 9:07 pm

Programs: QF Plat / OWE (Lifetime Gold), Aeroplan SE, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Avis Pres't Circle
QF93 in F two Fridays ago it was the Moet 96 vintage. OK, but for around the same price Vevue and Bolly are better.

Forthcoming international F flights on AA, BA and CX (part of an AONE4). Comparisons will be flying thick and fast.

Surprisingly, I had one of the best airline breakfasts I have ever had in AA domestic "F" last week. The service (by an admittedly "veteran" - to say the least - stewardess) was impeccable. The food - delicious. We were served an omelette with a tex mex sauce of some sort containing black beans. The omelette was properly cooked, not dried out and the sauce spicy and tasty. The fresh fruit was all ripe, seemed to be in season, and was flavourful - including one of those monster strawberries they get over here which I bit into with all the anticipation of biting into damp cardboard, only to be surprised that it tasted like a strawberry and was not a nasty woody thing (this made me an instant supporter of GM food if this is what it produces). A warm "biscuit" which was light and flaky completed the meal. The coffee of course resembled a substance which has the colour of dishwater and doubtless tastes the same, but after a couple of weeks in the US one gets used to it.

I cannot say that I am looking forward to my transatlantic crossing with AA in their "F" product, but BA doesn't appear to have a morning flight from ORD to LHR.
Old May 13, 2004, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Vintage Moet 96!

Yes it looks like the Vintage 96 is the offering.

Dont like the new jammies they are not as comfy as the old ones.

Im off on Finnair to HEL tomorrow so will let you know the comparasin.
Old May 15, 2004, 8:14 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Chalkie
I cannot say that I am looking forward to my transatlantic crossing with AA in their "F" product, but BA doesn't appear to have a morning flight from ORD to LHR.
Daytime trans-Atlantic on AA is actually quite nice and competitive with BA (you have to go through JFK to get the BA daytime flight to LHR). AA's champagne is Belle Epoque which is quite nice as the finest apple cider in the world (meant in a complementary way, good champagne but it really does taste of apples).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.