FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   The NEW -what french are they serving in FIRST thread! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/313689-new-what-french-they-serving-first-thread.html)

tinkybelle Apr 15, 2004 3:53 pm

The NEW -what french are they serving in FIRST thread!

Well it looks like time to travel again.
Hope some of you FT travellers in the point can let me know what Qantas are now serving in First.
Thought Id start a new one as the other got a bit long.

Thanks in advance

og Apr 15, 2004 5:07 pm

Pyjamas are distributed by Express Post four months after the flight. My flight in November was short loaded in PJs - those in 1A and 1K were last on the list (in Z class) to get them. Two emails identifying the problem were unanswered. The nice people in the QF stores rang (four months later) to ask to which address they should post them. They arrived next day.

There was no KRUG in First but brilliant crew who did everything perfectly. We will happily forego the Skybeds in July LHR-SYD and take a left turn on entering (if the waitlist clears).

GoldFlyer Apr 15, 2004 8:51 pm

I like the new pj's and they are so much better than the BA grey ones that make everyone look like they should be doing Tai Chi or something. The QF blue with tan piping look very smart - just right for a very select pyjama party and they also have pockets whereas BA don't.

THe BA amenity is far better though.

Last time I was in QF First it was '96 Moet and Pol Roger in the joint BA/QF lounges.

NM Apr 15, 2004 10:25 pm

Sorry, but they don't serve french fries in any class on Qantas. You may find the occasional serving of chips, but not french fries. The closest thing to french being served is the Fillet Mignon.

And yes, I do know what the original question was really about. But what would the french know about making whisky, anyway ;) .

nonce Apr 16, 2004 1:07 am

Did SYD-HKG-SYD in Feb and got 96 Moet and the new PJ's in First. Old amentities kits however, which are of a lower standard that the new J one I recieved a few weeks early on SYD-LAX. On the way up LaPraire products in the bathroom, on the way back, nothing.

Overall, very unimpressed with the wine list. Even the reds they had all 2000 and younger.

Yes, the new PJ's are nice. Matter of fact I'm wearing the pants now.

Not sure if I would fork out the extra points for F over J next time, especially with skybeds coming on line.

willyroo Apr 16, 2004 3:10 am

Wi-fi greetings from the DOM SYD QP.

Unfortunately no real champagne here - but this thread's a definitive short term "sticky" candidate. :)

Last week in J it was 1997 Mis-en-caves, which I thought was very nice...

GoldFlyer Apr 16, 2004 6:35 am

Oh and Sir Moderator of the QF Forum, just how does one get to be a "sticky" around here apart from spilling your beverage all over the floor and getting stuck in the ensuing evaporation - such a waste but at least in the QP it matters not! BTW, first part of my newest Trip Report {SYD to AKL on a plane} is well, in the Trip Report Forum. ;)

number_6 Apr 16, 2004 9:06 pm

Presumably by "96 Moet in F" it is meant that 96 Dom is being served by QF ... in which case, very (very) commendable and even impressive!!!! The 96 Dom is maybe the 3rd best vintage of the past 100 years (quite a bit better than the 95, for example) and retails for over USD 100 per bottle ... so QF has tripled their champagne budget if this is true. Might explain the poor red wines (they blew all their budget on getting the Dom). A shame as QF used to carry some very fine and reasonably priced reds, St. Henri Shiraz and Leeuwin Art series (the latter even on domestic routes, such as SYD-PER).

tinkybelle Apr 17, 2004 2:54 am

I think they just mean Moet

Originally Posted by number_6
Presumably by "96 Moet in F" it is meant that 96 Dom is being served by QF ... in which case, very (very) commendable and even impressive!!!! The 96 Dom is maybe the 3rd best vintage of the past 100 years (quite a bit better than the 95, for example) and retails for over USD 100 per bottle ... so QF has tripled their champagne budget if this is true. Might explain the poor red wines (they blew all their budget on getting the Dom). A shame as QF used to carry some very fine and reasonably priced reds, St. Henri Shiraz and Leeuwin Art series (the latter even on domestic routes, such as SYD-PER).

No
96 moet vintage is probably not DOM

I havent seen Dom on Qantas ever.
They seem to cut costs where champagne is concerned which is why I started this thread.years ago they servied Krug extensively.
They have also recently served
Henroit
Charles Heidsiech Mis en cave 95.
and assorted other brands
The Moet Vintage 96 is quite nice as a business class product but only worth $A75 a bottle,
Not realy first class stock.
Qantas you still havent improved

nonce Apr 17, 2004 3:33 am

I price the Moet & Chandon Vintage 1996 750ml from Vintage Cellars at $89.99 per case. From memory I got one from Georges in Crows Nest, Sydney for around the $75 mark for Christmas.

FoxPro Apr 17, 2004 7:10 am

SYD-LHR RT QF F $11242
One manages maybe 3 bottles of french bubbly RT during airtime which is hard to enjoy because of the plane movement which stirs your glass while the aircon sucks most aroma out of the glass before one can enjoy it.

SYD-LHR RT QF Y $2675
No French bubbly during the flight. But the $8567 difference buys 155 bottles of excellent Taitinger (at $55 a bottle).

Question: Wnat made this thread a 'sticky'?

number_6 Apr 17, 2004 9:25 am

That is very disappointing. I thought they had announced using Dom exclusively as part of the F service refurbishment. I did have a trip booked with QF a couple of weeks ago (LHR-SYD in F) that I had to cancel at the last minute. Now I'm rebooking it to be via HKG on CX -- that guarantees either Krug or Deutz (both are good) along with some fine red wine (not properly aged, but at least it is over 5 years old). Maybe QF will eventually realize that their choice of champagne costs more revenue than they save. Was I wrong about QF doing a press release on the new F service with better wines and Dom, or have they reneged in implementing what they announced?

tinkybelle Apr 17, 2004 5:17 pm

Number_6.
thanks exactly what I am trying to find out.
Maybe the Ftalkers that travel in first dont have time to post as they are to busy making the money to pay for the tickets :D

shillard Apr 18, 2004 2:14 am

French in first?????????

THAT'S why they charge so much for those seats......and they recline too.

Spits for CS & SG, swallows for WP & CL? :D

AshleyF Apr 18, 2004 3:11 am

Sorry, can't remember the champagne 'cept that it wan't Krug, Dom , Moet or anything that I could pronounce sensibly.
The new Oroton travel bags were good. The new pj's made me feel like a bumble bee with the coloured bands in the top across my waist . Thankfully the pants seem to be of better quality than previous and should take a few more washes before the crotch wears out.

The occasional 707 or Henscke seems to have disappeared. Still nice ($30 plus retail wines). De Bortoli sticky to round it off .Steak sandwiches still there for refreshment.

To me the best thing about F is that I can sleep properly . Once the new skybeds come in I doubt that I will be using F again (unless- ho ho - an involuntary upgrade appears).
Food and wine always taste like airline food when you are flying. Sorry , but to me its a waste to pretend that my taste buds are operating the same way at 37K feet . I would much prefer to be given a bottle of the wine to enjoy on the ground .