Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Lawyer exploits Jetstar "return for free" loophole and takes them to NZ civil court

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lawyer exploits Jetstar "return for free" loophole and takes them to NZ civil court

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2024, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Hi what does everyone think about this? Clever exploit?

A Wellington-based lawyer is trying to get Jetstar to pay him almost $5000 after he booked and cancelled 59 flights to capitalise on what he believed was a legal loophole.

On March 12, 2020, Tyrone Barugh, director of small law firm Spilt Milk, booked an Auckland-to-Sydney return ticket with Jetstar for travel from March 25 to May 7.

Like many people, he was reacting to Jetstar’s promotional “Return for free” sale. Unlike many people, however, Barugh proceeded to cancel and book 57 more return flights to take advantage of what he saw as a loophole.

Now, he is taking Jetstar to the Disputes Tribunal to get back $4965 in fees he claims he’s entitled to under a combination of Australian legislation and Jetstar’s policies.
Jetstar flight sale used by Wellington man in bid to get $5000 - NZ Herald
Singapore_Air likes this.
Old May 15, 2024, 3:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Depends on what the terms stated - if Jetstar created rules that would allow this, then it should be expected to honour it
Old May 15, 2024, 6:59 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Reading the article, it is interesting, and I also note that he booked these flights when borders were closed during COVID. Not sure what bearing that has,

My understanding is that the base of his argument is that he booked a JQ flight with a "free return". He cancelled the outbound for credit (fine). but still had the inbound booking live. As that inbound booking has various taxes and charges (e.g. AU passenger movement charge), he would like those refunded to him minus an admin charge, which from his 59 bookings is $4965. It seems odd that JQ would cancel the outbound but not also cancel the inbound at the same time?

It is curious as he is leaning on JQ CoC with regards to refunding taxes and charges following cancellation.

KF
Old May 15, 2024, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have booked 2 of these JQ ex NZ "free return" fares (before CV19). The JQ tax invoice did not list the AU Passenger movement charge (departure tax) or other ex AU govt charges for leaving Australia. Other JQ tickets do list these govt charges. JQ does not clearly identify the codes for govt charges, but can be deduced by comparing with other tickets, E.g. WY WG KK F1 AU (AU=$60 departure tax).
Depending on the jurisdiction can be nil or less charges for non revenue fares. For example on awards a carrier surcharge (=airline profit) can trigger additional real govt charges.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 15, 2024 at 3:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.