Are all A380's refurbished?

Old Apr 27, 2023, 8:37 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: So Cal
Programs: AA Platinum
Posts: 2,869
Are all A380's refurbished?

Was just wondering are all A380's touched up in F and have the new J seats or is there still one flying around that is old?

Thanks.
happiest_at_40000 is offline  
Old Apr 28, 2023, 6:50 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Auchmithie, Scotland
Programs: BA Silver - QF Lifetime Silver
Posts: 205
I believe VH-OQL is unrefurbished hence why it has been isolated on QF127/QF128 SYD-HKG for the past month.
VH-EAB is offline  
Old Apr 28, 2023, 11:59 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Programs: Qantas
Posts: 61
VH-OQA, VH-OQC, and VH-OQL are all in the old configuration per Qantas with VH-OQL being the only one in use at the moment as stated above.
blandfordryan is offline  
Old Apr 28, 2023, 1:10 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: So Cal
Programs: AA Platinum
Posts: 2,869
Originally Posted by VH-EAB
I believe VH-OQL is unrefurbished hence why it has been isolated on QF127/QF128 SYD-HKG for the past month.
Originally Posted by blandfordryan
VH-OQA, VH-OQC, and VH-OQL are all in the old configuration per Qantas with VH-OQL being the only one in use at the moment as stated above.

Thanks for the info. Is it like a nostalgia thing to keep 1 old one flying or they will all be reconfigured at sole point?

There is never anything SIN-SYD in J or F but noticed easy to get it from HKG (in J).
happiest_at_40000 is offline  
Old Apr 28, 2023, 2:57 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 21,196
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
Thanks for the info. Is it like a nostalgia thing to keep 1 old one flying or they will all be reconfigured at sole point?

There is never anything SIN-SYD in J or F but noticed easy to get it from HKG (in J).
Will be refurbished at some point. With the delay in B787 deliveries,QF are IMHO short of wide body long haul aircraft.

With QF1 SYD-SIN-LHR and QF2 LHR-SIN-SYD is a big demand for cash and award ticket SYD-LHR, LHR-SYD. Little left for just SIN.
happiest_at_40000 likes this.
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Apr 30, 2023, 5:17 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canberra, AU
Programs: QF Plat
Posts: 188
I understand that the the old configuration is scheduled to operate on some QF11 and QF12 flights to/from LAX for the next couple of months although it's main work is QF127/128 to/from HKG. It is then scheduled to go for a refit in July.
Bubba911 is offline  
Old Apr 30, 2023, 6:14 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: So Cal
Programs: AA Platinum
Posts: 2,869
Originally Posted by Bubba911
I understand that the the old configuration is scheduled to operate on some QF11 and QF12 flights to/from LAX for the next couple of months although it's main work is QF127/128 to/from HKG. It is then scheduled to go for a refit in July.
Dang that would be a bummer to have it on 11/12. I noticed it was on some LAX/MEL routes in the near future.

How can I make sure its not on an upcoming LAX/SYD flight - just look at EF ?

It wouldnt be a swap last minute but rather would be planned?

Seems like QF 12 is always late or even cancelled how it was on my exact flight a week or so ago.
happiest_at_40000 is offline  
Old Apr 30, 2023, 6:45 pm
  #8  
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Posts: 13,541
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
Dang that would be a bummer to have it on 11/12. I noticed it was on some LAX/MEL routes in the near future.

How can I make sure its not on an upcoming LAX/SYD flight - just look at EF ?

It wouldnt be a swap last minute but rather would be planned?

Seems like QF 12 is always late or even cancelled how it was on my exact flight a week or so ago.
It could be a last minute swap. Anything can happen with operations when all aircraft are being flogged to death and one outage has knock-on effects. It could even be a 789 sub for a 380 and QF then have the job of spreading pax on other flights. Notwithstanding, the old SkyBed Mk2 seats are still quite comfortable and their fully flat mode can be made properly flat (ie counteracting the drooping leg support) by shoving a carry on bag under the footrest.
og is offline  
Old Apr 30, 2023, 8:13 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: So Cal
Programs: AA Platinum
Posts: 2,869
Originally Posted by og
It could be a last minute swap. Anything can happen with operations when all aircraft are being flogged to death and one outage has knock-on effects. It could even be a 789 sub for a 380 and QF then have the job of spreading pax on other flights. Notwithstanding, the old SkyBed Mk2 seats are still quite comfortable and their fully flat mode can be made properly flat (ie counteracting the drooping leg support) by shoving a carry on bag under the footrest.
If I am checking tail numbers right I think that both things you said happened just the last couple of days. QF 12 was the one old A380 on 4/29 and I think QF17 flew instead of QF12 one day thus a 789 leaving at the normal A380 time.
happiest_at_40000 is offline  
Old May 1, 2023, 6:00 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Posts: 5
I've had my QF11 seats changed between the different configurations twice in the last few months. There was a period where they had the non-refurbished aircraft doing the QF11/12 runs on Thursdays and Saturdays but my seating was updated on Friday back to 1-2-1 without notification. Since booking I've gone from refurbished, back to non-refurbished and now back to refurbished again. I've just taken to checking my seats daily in the Qantas app because I've been split up from my partner each time they change the aircraft/cabin configuration. If you want to check a flight you haven't booked I think EF would be fine or you could even check the seating on seats you're purchasing on the Qantas site.
kazza9 is offline  
Old May 1, 2023, 7:09 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: So Cal
Programs: AA Platinum
Posts: 2,869
Originally Posted by kazza9
I've had my QF11 seats changed between the different configurations twice in the last few months. There was a period where they had the non-refurbished aircraft doing the QF11/12 runs on Thursdays and Saturdays but my seating was updated on Friday back to 1-2-1 without notification. Since booking I've gone from refurbished, back to non-refurbished and now back to refurbished again. I've just taken to checking my seats daily in the Qantas app because I've been split up from my partner each time they change the aircraft/cabin configuration. If you want to check a flight you haven't booked I think EF would be fine or you could even check the seating on seats you're purchasing on the Qantas site.
At the moment showing new plane but west map isnt viewable on QF as apparently within 40 ish hours they say seats are under airport control. I am trying to switch to the A side of F cabin as there is an open seat but cant online even see a map and agent on phone says nothing can be done til the airport at this point.
happiest_at_40000 is offline  
Old May 2, 2023, 9:25 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 25
To add another data point Im on QF11 mid-July. Was showing new configuration when I booked in March, just noticed it updated to the Skybeds. Fingers crossed it reverts back.
daron4000 likes this.
Airstairs is offline  
Old May 8, 2023, 6:04 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: South Australia
Posts: 21
And another change - QF11 on the 27th of September was showing a refurbished seat map when I booked, it is now showing an unrefurbished one.

Here's hoping it goes back, I did Skybeds unintentionally when I last flew out of the US, and I much preferred the new seat that I had on the JFK-LAX leg. (On the upside, I got to fly on a 747, something I doubt I'll be doing again any time soon!)

In any case, I'm not exactly sure what purpose the seating preference on one's Qantas profile is meant to serve seeing as I have it set to Window seat, and with the aircraft change they took me out of the A seat I had selected on the refurbished plane and put me in an F seat - despite there being four unblocked A seats and five unblocked K seats. But I have now rectified this mistake.
douglasac10 is offline  
Old May 9, 2023, 9:02 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sydney
Programs: Qf Platinum
Posts: 116
My flight on QF11 in August has changed to an old configuration.
bhoyinoz is offline  
Old May 10, 2023, 12:32 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SYD
Programs: Miles & More / Virgin Velocity-Gold
Posts: 394
Originally Posted by bhoyinoz
My flight on QF11 in August has changed to an old configuration.
What day of the week is the flight?
robertr is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.