Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

24 Hour Cancellation Policy - Cheapest Y Fare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2024, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Hi there - can someone please enlighten me as to just what Qantas 24 hour cancellation policy is? I booked a flight and canceled it 12 hours later. I received a partial refund that amounted to around 10% of the ticket price while I am expecting 100%. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 11:38 am

Programs: OWE (QF Plat), UA Plat
What city pair was the flight for? It seems that it's only for flights in Australia. If it was from the US, the there is the DOT 24 hour reservation requirement which is separate (and has to be at least 7 days before departure).

https://www.qantas.com/au/en/manage-...ot-be-refunded

ELIGIBLE BOOKINGS:

We'll refund flight bookings made directly with Qantas on this website, via the Qantas app or through a Qantas office, that:
  • were flights for travel within or from Australia,
  • were paid with cash, a mixture of cash and Qantas Points, Classic Flight Reward bookings, or a combination of Classic Flight Reward and non-Classic Flight Reward bookings, and
  • were made more than 30 days before departure of your first flight.
We'll also refund any amounts for eligible ancillary products included in your flight booking, which are:
  • pre-paid seat requests,
  • pre-paid additional baggage allowances, and
  • to offset flight carbon emissions.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Was it a booking where either the flight originates from Australia or is for travel within 30 days?

If not, then the policy does not apply and the rules of the ticket apply

if it was eligible, then I would suggest calling Qantas

( if this was purchased in the USA , then the ticket rules allow for the DOT policy to permit cancellation within 24 hours as long as flight is at least 1 week away )

Originally Posted by US fare rules
CUSTOMERS WHO PURCHASE A TICKET IN THE UNITED
STATES FOR TRAVEL ON QANTAS MAY CANCEL THEIR
RESERVATION AND REFUND TICKET WITHOUT CHARGE
WITHIN 24 HOURS OF TICKETING WHEN PURCHASE IS ONE
WEEK OR MORE PRIOR TO DEPARTURE OF THE FIRST
FLIGHT IN THE ITINERARY.
If the fare was non-refundable, you would get taxes back. Looking at a journey from YYZ-SYD r/t , these would seem to be about CAD244

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jan 24, 2024 at 12:32 pm
Old Jan 24, 2024, 7:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
In my experience, QF is usually quite good with ex USA DOT refunds
Old Jan 24, 2024, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
In my experience, QF is usually quite good with ex USA DOT refunds
Given the OP's name, it would seem likely that the OP is in Canada though
Old Jan 28, 2024, 2:38 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Given the OP's name, it would seem likely that the OP is in Canada though
I believe that the Canadian Transportation Authority also ensures a 24 hour refund window if a ticket is booked 7 days or greater out.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
I believe that the Canadian Transportation Authority also ensures a 24 hour refund window if a ticket is booked 7 days or greater out.
Do you have a link to CTA that shows this? I haven't found such a policy - there is a policy on refunds etc due to delays/cancellations but can only find a reference to a customer service policy for Air Canada in relation to cancel for any reason

I would be surprised if there was such a rule and QF didn't allow for it in its rules
Old Jan 29, 2024, 2:03 am

Hmmmm. No I cannot actually, I can find all the other regs, but not that one. Curious is that AC and west jet have it despite absence of regulation. Maybe competition can deliver sometimes the same outcome as regulation?
Old Jan 29, 2024, 11:21 am

Wouldn't be the only case - BA has the same policy even though it is under no obligation to do so

Perhaps Westjet and Air Canada have a high enough percentage of flights where it is a requirement that they choose to offer it regardless
Koru Flyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.