Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage Allowance Question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2023, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Baggage Allowance Question

Hi all, I am confused with my baggage allowance for my upcoming trip. I tried calling Qantas CS but was given contradicting information, hence trying my luck here to see if anyone has experience on this route.

Redeemed a business Class award ticket from American Airlines for (Qantas)CHC - SYD, (British Airways) SYD - SIN, (Malaysia Airlines) SIN - KUL all on a single PNR with no OW status.

By using the booking reference to check on respective website, Qantas and AA could not show the allowance and direct to the general baggage allowance page. BA shows 2 pieces of 23kg up to a total of 46kg and MH shows 2 pieces of 32kg up to a total of 64kg.
However Qantas customer service told me on the phone that I have 2 piece of 40kg up to a total of 80kg which contradicts what is on the Qantas website of a maximum of 32kg per piece or 40kg for business class.

Could anyone tell me what the baggage allowance is for this route? or it should be determine by my first leg CHC-SYD?

Thank you.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 3:27 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I’d be careful with that 40 kg per item. IIRC baggage handling people won’t move anything over 32 kg.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 10:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

2 pirces of 40 kg is never going to be correct with the airlines in question. If this was a trip where MH's allowance applied, then there would be an allowance of 2 pieces with a maximum combined weight of 40Kg

Assuming that baggage is being checked in at CHC through to KUL, then I believe that the significant marketing carrier will be BA since all travel is within Tariff Conference 3 and BA is proviiding travel between Tariff Conference 3 South West Pacific sub-area and Tariff Conference 3 South East Asia sub-area

The BA allowance is 2 pieces of maximum 32kg per piece for business class

If you are travelling to Sydney on the day before you travel to Singapore and so are collecting bags in Sydney, then the allowance for CHC-SYD will be Qantas's allowance of 40kg and then SYD-KUL will be BA's allowance of 2 Pieces of max 32Kg per piece

Last edited by Dave Noble; Oct 23, 2023 at 10:22 am
Old Oct 25, 2023, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
2 pirces of 40 kg is never going to be correct with the airlines in question. If this was a trip where MH's allowance applied, then there would be an allowance of 2 pieces with a maximum combined weight of 40Kg

Assuming that baggage is being checked in at CHC through to KUL, then I believe that the significant marketing carrier will be BA since all travel is within Tariff Conference 3 and BA is proviiding travel between Tariff Conference 3 South West Pacific sub-area and Tariff Conference 3 South East Asia sub-area

The BA allowance is 2 pieces of maximum 32kg per piece for business class

If you are travelling to Sydney on the day before you travel to Singapore and so are collecting bags in Sydney, then the allowance for CHC-SYD will be Qantas's allowance of 40kg and then SYD-KUL will be BA's allowance of 2 Pieces of max 32Kg per piece
Thanks for the explanation. It make sense to me. I will be flying from CHC to KUL, only transiting thru SYD and SIN so definitely baggage will be checked through to KUL.

Hopefully the check in counter will allow me to bring 2 piece of 32kg when times come.

Thank you once again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.