Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Best Business Class Seat for US-->OZ travel? A380 vs. 789

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2023, 8:16 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'
Original Poster

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum

Qantas noob here, so apologies if this is a basic question:

Is there a strong preference here for A380-800 vs. 787-900 for business class between US and Australia?
I have read about some major reliability issues with the A380 - is that still a problem? Are the seats otherwise comparable for two people traveling together?

Exact routing is SEA-HBA, so trying to decide between LAX-MEL or LAX-SYD for the long flight. Not really considering DFW at this point, nor LAX-BNE on the 332 as do not want to fly BNE-HBA on an Embraer vs. a mainline QF option from MEL/SYD. Transiting in MEL vs. SYD seems comparable, unless I'm missing something. Please enlighten me if I am!
Old Oct 12, 2023, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
Qantas noob here, so apologies if this is a basic question:

Is there a strong preference here for A380-800 vs. 787-900 for business class between US and Australia?
I have read about some major reliability issues with the A380 - is that still a problem? Are the seats otherwise comparable for two people traveling together?

Exact routing is SEA-HBA, so trying to decide between LAX-MEL or LAX-SYD for the long flight. Not really considering DFW at this point, nor LAX-BNE on the 332 as do not want to fly BNE-HBA on an Embraer vs. a mainline QF option from MEL/SYD. Transiting in MEL vs. SYD seems comparable, unless I'm missing something. Please enlighten me if I am!
Definitely missing something on SYD MEL transits.
The SYD international and domestic terminals are ~4km apart and require a bus or train ride. QF has a dedicated airside bus. SYD has a curfew 23:00 - 05:00/06:00
-->Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport

At MEL all in building: a 3 minute walk international to domestic. No curfew. Less international traffic to/from MEL---less congestion.

What are the departure, transit & arrival times (by the clock)?

Are options other than QF for USA<--->AU with a range of airlines[AA DL UA HA FJ AC]. And SFO not just LAX. From SEA via Asia or from YVR on AC, NZ or QF can be a viable option. Air NZ flys AKL-HBA.

A map from the Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 12, 2023 at 10:16 pm
Old Oct 13, 2023, 2:11 am

Go for MEL!!!!
Mwenenzi and aisleorwindow like this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 4:21 am

Just to point out, most flights to Hobart from MEL and SYD are also QantasLink, not "mainline". Some exceptions.

My wife has started doing the connection in AKL and really likes it. Now daylight savings has started the connections seem to work well.
aisleorwindow likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 8:23 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'
Original Poster

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Many thanks, and glad I asked! Will do SEA-LAX-MEL-HBA then.
As it turns out the MEL-HBA is actually a mainline flight (one of the few) on a 737, so all good!
Cheers!
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 1:59 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
The seats and service are essentially the same in a 737 vs 717, so I would not let that be a major issue. MEL is much preferred as a transit…
Old Oct 13, 2023, 6:14 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
If possible I’d be on the 380 as opposed to the 789. Quieter, smoother. The 380 is an absolute delight whereas the 789 has some good areas and some bad ones - and the crew will also dim the electronic windows at their pleasure.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 10:47 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by og
If possible I’d be on the 380 as opposed to the 789. Quieter, smoother. The 380 is an absolute delight whereas the 789 has some good areas and some bad ones - and the crew will also dim the electronic windows at their pleasure.
Yup and then LOCK them. Same with NZ. I make a point to go up to them and ask to unlock my windows with the pretense of "but dont worry, im not going to blast the cabin with sunlight." I almost wonder if they do it cause more sleeping pax=less to serve.
og likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 12:05 am

Programs: LifeQP LTS, Avis
Cabin staff can also control the A380 blinds and lock them. Exactly what the Emirates crew did on my recent four flights.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by grov
Cabin staff can also control the A380 blinds and lock them. Exactly what the Emirates crew did on my recent four flights.
On qantas a380s they are entirely manually operated - of the ‘pull-down’ variety.
djsflynn likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 10:43 pm

QF LAX-MEL or LAX-SYD A380 can run the risk of being swapped to the sole superjumbo still in original config, although at the time of writing that A380 is slated to begin SYD-HKG at the end of October 2023 through to February 2024 – so if your ex-LAX flight is between those dates there's far less chance of the swap & downgrade.

A380 and B787 business class seats are the same, even for couples travelling together if you're in the middle seats.

In favour of the A380 is that you can decamp to the lounge area at the front of the upper deck, which IMHO is a great way to break up your trip, get out of your seat, chat with other passengers and just have a change of 'scenery' to help pass the time. As others here have noted, you control the A380 window shades, whereas on the 787 they're of the electrochroamatic type which cabin crew can and do 'over-ride' to keep the cabin dim for the sake of most passengers who want to sleep.

For your transit, I would definitely opt for MEL: it's so much easier than SYD, as the international & domestic terminals at MEL are bust a stroll away, where's in SYD you have to contend with the transit bus due to the physical distance between terminals. Plus, if you'll be spending some time at MEL before your HBA flight, MEL has a superior domestic business lounge into the bargain.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 11:01 pm

Programs: LifeQP LTS, Avis
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
On qantas a380s they are entirely manually operated - of the ‘pull-down’ variety.
That’s interesting. The Emirates blinds were electromechanical and pushbutton controlled.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 12:43 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by grov
That’s interesting. The Emirates blinds were electromechanical and pushbutton controlled.
Ahhh, “those” hybrid electric blinds. I’ve encountered those on NH. They look fancy but the gloss stops when you discover the crew have lowered the blinds and locked them.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by djsflynn
QF LAX-MEL or LAX-SYD A380 can run the risk of being swapped to the sole superjumbo still in original config, although at the time of writing that A380 is slated to begin SYD-HKG at the end of October 2023 through to February 2024 – so if your ex-LAX flight is between those dates there's far less chance of the swap & downgrade.

A380 and B787 business class seats are the same, even for couples travelling together if you're in the middle seats.

In favour of the A380 is that you can decamp to the lounge area at the front of the upper deck, which IMHO is a great way to break up your trip, get out of your seat, chat with other passengers and just have a change of 'scenery' to help pass the time. As others here have noted, you control the A380 window shades, whereas on the 787 they're of the electrochroamatic type which cabin crew can and do 'over-ride' to keep the cabin dim for the sake of most passengers who want to sleep.

For your transit, I would definitely opt for MEL: it's so much easier than SYD, as the international & domestic terminals at MEL are bust a stroll away, where's in SYD you have to contend with the transit bus due to the physical distance between terminals. Plus, if you'll be spending some time at MEL before your HBA flight, MEL has a superior domestic business lounge into the bargain.
My recent a380 flights showed the lounge was rarely used. One group used it for chat for about 10 mins, but they were mindful of the noise their conversation was generating.

On the flight to London in the 24 hours the lounge was only used once.

Departing USA so late I think most people slept through the flight.

Most of the traffic was pre-departure with passengers having a wander to see the lounge, but it didn’t appear to translate into later use.

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; Oct 15, 2023 at 5:46 am
Old Oct 15, 2023, 5:28 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
The lounge on QF is not like the QR/EK lounge, it is basically a dark room where you can sit if you like, and is most often used for taking P1/CL pax from Y and W up to have a meal and a glass of wine without the pas around them feeling left out.

If you like to sit and eat in a cupboard at home, then it is the place for you, otherwise....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.