Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Through checked baggage between QF award ticket and CX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2023, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Hi guys,

I have two separate international tickets from New Zealand to HK:

1. WLG-SYD 06:20-08:00

It's a QF award ticket booked on BA.

2. SYD-HKG 22:20-4:25

It's a CX flight purchased with cash on CX.

I will have approximately 14 hours for a layover in Sydney, so I plan to explore the city. However, I don't want to take my baggage outside of the airport. According to QF's policy, I should be eligible to ask the staff at Wellington to through check my baggage to HK, right?

Another concern is that I'm unsure if WLG has QF's own staff or if they use staff from another company, and I'm not sure if they will be familiar with this policy. Has anyone tried this before in Wellington or other cities in New Zealand? Thanks
Old Sep 30, 2023, 6:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

By policy, it should be ok to be checked through

If it eventuates that the agent wll not check the bags through, you can always leave them at the baggage storage facility after collecting them in Sydney
Kimiwang0708 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2023, 9:21 pm

Programs: NZ
While the check in staff at WLG may not be QF employees there will almost certainly be someone there from QF who should be able to confirm the rules in this respect.
Old Sep 30, 2023, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by minz56
While the check in staff at WLG may not be QF employees there will almost certainly be someone there from QF who should be able to confirm the rules in this respect.
Thanks. Hopefully they will allow me to through check my baggage to HK.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 4:51 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Worst case scenarios
- CX have increasing flights from SYD to HKG, most times they will check you in for a later flight when the desk is open, so check other CX departure times. It may line up.
- luggage storage is available and reasonable priced at SYD intl.
- train is simplest and easiest way from the airport, it takes tap with credit cards, so no need to buy a ticket/opal card.
- I am sure with 14 hours you have more than enough time to explore. Manly ferry is a good choice.

while QF may have a policy, given these desks in WLG are not QF staffed, best to have a backup.

KF
Old Oct 1, 2023, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
Worst case scenarios
- CX have increasing flights from SYD to HKG, most times they will check you in for a later flight when the desk is open, so check other CX departure times. It may line up.
- luggage storage is available and reasonable priced at SYD intl.
- train is simplest and easiest way from the airport, it takes tap with credit cards, so no need to buy a ticket/opal card.
- I am sure with 14 hours you have more than enough time to explore. Manly ferry is a good choice.

while QF may have a policy, given these desks in WLG are not QF staffed, best to have a backup.

KF

Thanks. Yes, as you mentioned, I suppose QF in WLG may not QF staffed. There is a risk that they can't check my baggage through to HK. However, it would be great if the CX staff at SYD could check in my baggage for a later same-day flight. I am uncertain about this because I've had issues with QA at ADL refusing to check in my baggage for a later same-day flight during a transit in ADL.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 7:06 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Pre COVID, it was not issue for CX in my experience to check you in for a later flight, but I have no experience post covid of this. I think CX still have many of their own staff in SYD, whereas QR is all subcontracted.

While not as convenient, the luggage storage at SYD is quite good and easy. Benefit was well is that they could store your carryon etc so you are not lugging it around. Other option would be a day room at the Rydges - Rydges is across the road from the terminal. Aerohotel may also do day rooms, but I have no experience.

KF
Old Oct 1, 2023, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
Pre COVID, it was not issue for CX in my experience to check you in for a later flight, but I have no experience post covid of this. I think CX still have many of their own staff in SYD, whereas QR is all subcontracted.

While not as convenient, the luggage storage at SYD is quite good and easy. Benefit was well is that they could store your carryon etc so you are not lugging it around. Other option would be a day room at the Rydges - Rydges is across the road from the terminal. Aerohotel may also do day rooms, but I have no experience.

KF
Thanks for the information. Will see what will happen on that day at the WLG check-in counter.
Koru Flyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.