Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

MEL/SYD/BNE - best chance of upgrade to LAX?

Old Sep 7, 2023, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Does one of MEL/SYD/BNE usually yield the best chance of an upgrade by cash bid or points? SYD of course has the A380 so more capacity but demand on this route like the 787 from MEL is greater. BNE although the smallest capacity on the A330 seems to have at least half the cabin currently vacant on the dates I need to travel.
Old Sep 8, 2023, 2:49 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Historically for me, BNE, but it is such a mugs game, unless you are a Plat or higher....
Old Sep 11, 2023, 6:32 am

As lifetime bronze with Qantas the only time I attempted to upgrade was when I was bored playing with the Qantas app on a Mel-Syd flight. I thought I would have to wait for awhile as it was months out, however it was approved immediately and the app showed confetti.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 7:37 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Domestic flights come out of award inventory (/U/) so if award inventory is available it will be confirmed immediately. International are always waitlisted and handled by yield management in order of status at various status windows.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 4:09 pm

That makes allot of sense.
Old May 14, 2024, 11:36 am

Programs: QF Plat, OW Emerald, AAdvantage, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by yanos
Does one of MEL/SYD/BNE usually yield the best chance of an upgrade by cash bid or points? SYD of course has the A380 so more capacity but demand on this route like the 787 from MEL is greater. BNE although the smallest capacity on the A330 seems to have at least half the cabin currently vacant on the dates I need to travel.
Sorry probably too late of an answer for your plans however maybe useful reference for someone, Last four trips wife and I've done we were 0/2 SYD-LAX-SYD and 2/2 BNE-LAX-BNE, we were successful both ways cost 49K points pp each time from memory. SYD fails and first BNE success we were SG, trip in October 23 we'd dropped down to LTS (lack of COVID era flying), back up to WP now whew...

Last edited by IslandGuy32; May 14, 2024 at 2:37 pm
Old May 20, 2024, 9:05 am

Programs: QF, CoUniHound Refugee
Are you booking this as a Qantas classic award ticket? If so, there is a little known trick where you can instant upgrade into business class from economy. Essentially what it involves doing is simply booking your economy classic award as normal, and setting an alert (e.g. via ExpertFlyer) for when business (U) availability appears for the flight. Should that availability appear, you call up Qantas and request a change of flight from Economy to Business class. Since there would then be availability in business they'd be able to process the change right away.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old May 20, 2024, 5:27 pm

Not really an upgrade or a trick, just a re ticketing in /U/.

if i had no booking and set up an alert in expert flyer, i could just call up and make a booking in /U/. The presence of an existing booking has no impact.

Is though a good strategy to not sit and forget, but to have alerts set and pounce.
Old May 20, 2024, 7:21 pm

Programs: QF, CoUniHound Refugee
Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
Is though a good strategy to not sit and forget, but to have alerts set and pounce.
That can work supposing that U availability does indeed pop up at some point between now and when you depart. The advantage of my approach is that if you can find a seat on the flight in Y then it's best to secure the award seats while you have them. Then even if U doesn't pop up you'll have a seat on the flight and I say this from experience. I've got an award booked through Qantas for LAX > SYD in July. There was no classic award availability online and when I called up QF (as a Platinum) to request they open up seats for my partner and I, of all the requests I put in (DFW > SYD, LAX > MEL, LAX > BNE, LAX > SYD, YVR > SYD, SFO > SYD) only LAX > SYD came back in Y.

-RooFlyer88

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.