Search

No more Qantas points from BP NZ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2023, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite, KQ Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Choice Gold
No more Qantas points from BP NZ?

AA Smartfuel to be phased out as Woolworths teams up with BP

This is a pity. With BP in New Zealand joining Woolworths NZ’s new Everyday Rewards programme it presumably means the end of getting 90 Qantas points from NZ$40 of fuel (or 150 points on a Wednesday and some weekends). Had been a handy way of keeping the account ticking over. Or if by some miracle Woolworths NZ decide to align it with the Aussie programme and partner with QFF, it’s a serious reduction in points. NZ$2000 would equal 1000 QFF points compared with up to 7,500 now.

Last edited by DomesticGoddess; Sep 12, 2023 at 9:03 pm Reason: Moved the link
Old Sep 12, 2023, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In Australia BP has a separate loyalty agreement direct with QF. Swipe your QF ff card and get QF points. Frequently get bonus offers.
In NZ have AA in the middle between BP & QF (AAsmartfuel is a separate business). Was then merged/linked with Countdown.

In Australia from Woolworth's Everyday Rewards you can get QF points or a cash e-voucher. The other large AU supermarket, Coles, is aligned with Virgin Australia.
WW Au has a separate chain of petrol stations Ampol-EG (was Caltex), when you can redeem the $0.04 fuel discount. May vary state to state.
The NZ Countdown~WW program, with boosters(as today's email), does seem to be tending to be more like the AU WW program. Waiting for more details on NZ Woolworth's Everyday Rewards.

NZ Countdown~Woolworths email of today
How it’ll work
Everyday Rewards has been designed to be as hassle-free as possible with an easy-to-understand 1-for-1 points system that you’ll be familiar with from Onecard, where every $1 spent at Woolworths earns 1 reward point.

At bp, you will earn 1 reward point for every litre of fuel and $1 spent at the bp shop, wildbean cafe or on bp car washes. Members will be able to unlock a further ‘always-on’ cents off per litre discount alongside other benefits each time they swipe their Everyday Rewards card.

An enhanced Boost offer programme and more opportunities to earn across our partner network will mean you’ll be able to reach 2000 points faster and get a $15 voucher to use at your choice of Woolworths or bp.
<snip>
Earning from fuel at BP miserable. Per litre and not per NZ$. Fuel~ NZ$2.85 per litre?.

WW NZ-->https://www.countdown.co.nz/shop/con...y-rewards-faqs
AASmartfuel QF-->https://aasmartfuel.co.nz/spend/qantas
QF web site-->https://www.qantas.com/nz/en/frequen...smartfuel.html

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 13, 2023 at 12:17 am
Old Sep 13, 2023, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Earning from fuel at BP miserable. Per litre and not per NZ$. Fuel~ NZ$2.85 per litre?.
???

Earning from fuel at BP is terrific. It's not per litre at all, it's on minimum spend of NZ$40. The 6c Smartfuel discount translates to 90 Qantas points, and on Wednesdays and some weekend the 10c Smartfuel discount translates to 150 Qantas points.

I fuel up exclusively on Wednesdays for the full 150 Qantas points from a NZ$40 spend, and have earned about 15,000 points in the last year from NZ$80 of fuel a week in my car. From what I can tell the Australian programme would net just 20 Qantas points from a $40 spend (and only once you hit the required number of points).
Old Sep 13, 2023, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was commenting on the future WW-Countdown NZ rewards program with BP--> "At bp, you will earn 1 reward point for every litre of fuel'
In AU at BP with a QF card earn 1 QF point per litre and 1 QF point per $ BP shop spend. In AU 2000 WW [supermarket] reward points transfer to 1000 QF points.
So the NZ WW rate at BP will be 50% of the AU rate, if WW NZ have a transfer option to QF. (but fuel cost less in AU)

In AU 2000 WW reward points = AU $10 voucher
In NZ 2000 WW reward points = NZ $15 voucher (from the email)
AU GST = 10%. NZ GST = 15%
AU$1.00 = NZ$1.086

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 13, 2023 at 2:57 pm
Old Sep 13, 2023, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
I was commenting on the future WW-Countdown NZ rewards program with BP--> "At bp, you will earn 1 reward point for every litre of fuel'
In AU at BP with a QF card earn 1 QF point per litre and 1 QF point per $ BP shop spend. In AU 2000 WW [supermarket] reward points transfer to 1000 QF points.
So the NZ WW rate at BP will be 50% of the AU rate, if WW NZ have a transfer option to QF. (but fuel cost less in AU)

In AU 2000 WW reward points = AU $10 voucher
In NZ 2000 WW reward points = NZ $15 voucher (from the email)
AU GST = 10%. NZ GST = 15%
AU$1.00 = NZ$1.086
Ah got it. Sorry I didn’t see you’d edited your reply to include the email. Yes you’re right that’s extremely miserable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.