Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qf63 syd-jhb

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2023, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Qf63 syd-jhb

JNB, not JHB...

Not the flight that I was expecting, but the flight that I got.

Had to get to London this week, my CX flight through HKG was canned due to the typhoon, earliest rebooking was far too late. A mad Friday night scramble with our work travel agent.

"Via SIN?" "Nothing". "US?" "Nothing". "Malaysia?" "Nothing". "Japan?" "ANA at over $22k". Hmmm... "South Africa?" "2 x J, connects with the BA flight, $18k if you come back on QF2". Sold.

Takeoff delayed for an hour, not a major drama as I had four hours to connect in JNB. Crew were very chirpy and attentive, it's always one of two extremes with QF and I was lucky to get the better end of the deal.

Plenty of time for breakfast in the lougne as I left Newcastle stupidly early (only one time available with a Hire Car on such short notice). Winter menu here:

Reasonably orderly boarding for QF, it was actually underway when they called it in the lounge.

Shortly after takeoff the CSM introduced himself, presented me with a glass of Champagne and some nuts (well in advance of the drinks service) and wished me "happy birthday" - a nice little touch.

QF in-flight catering (at least in international J) has certainly improved of late, I was afraid that my recent SYD-SIN return experience was a fluke, but no...

For lunch I opted for the carrot soup with croutons and the beef fillet - both very good.

Steaks at 40,000ft are never awesome, but this was respectable with nicely done potatoes. Some more veg would have been welcome (AA and UL do this very well), but certainly better than was QF was offering a few years ago. Matched with a decent SA Shiraz.

I skipped the dinner service as I snacked lightly with some supplies I brought aboard and wanted to have a meal in JNB to get myself onto that timezone before the 9pm BA departure.

IFE selection was sufficient to get me through what is a very long flight, crew came by regularly with water, drinks top-ups, tea/ coffee orders, etc. I only dozed for around an hour as a) I wanted to sleep on the BA flight and b) the QF beds just aren' that comfortable for me. I actually find the BA seats the most comfortable of all, the default upright angle is just perfect and with the chonky BA pillows I sleep better than I can in any other seat.

If you haven't tried it, this is a superb way to get to LHR as, even though it's a couple of hours longer than via SIN or HKG, you're on the right timezone for 15 hours or so before arriving in LHR. After a very easy transfer process in JNB you can get a shower and something to eat in the BA lounge (it's no QF F lounge, but good enough), board the BA flight and have a decent sleep before waking up around 5:30AM LHR time for breakfast before landing.

Would recommend.
Koru Flyer and turtlemichael like this.

Last edited by shillard; Sep 4, 2023 at 2:52 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.