Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic QF tips

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2023, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Domestic QF tips

Hi all!

I’ll be spending a few weeks travelling around Australia. Have a few QF questions!

(1) QF seems pricier than the competition - especially in business, but I’m aiming to fly economy. Do I get anything in exchange for paying more - eg less risk of cancellation, better on time performance, staff turning a blind eye to too big cabin bags, free beer?

(2) For eg SYD-MEL, of course it’s a short flight, but is there anything more interesting than a 737-800 to fly on?!

(3) It seems QF’s cheapest fares are not as flexible as their counterparts in the UK (or especially the US) and I must expect to fly on my booked service? Ie do not expect flexibility on the day. Is this the way it works on QF (please no ‘book flex ticket if you want flexibility’ discussion, I just want to know how it works)?

Thanks!
Old Aug 20, 2023, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cauchy
I’ll be spending a few weeks travelling around Australia. Have a few QF questions!

(1) QF seems pricier than the competition - especially in business, but I’m aiming to fly economy. Do I get anything in exchange for paying more - eg less risk of cancellation, better on time performance, staff turning a blind eye to too big cabin bags, free beer?

(2) For eg SYD-MEL, of course it’s a short flight, but is there anything more interesting than a 737-800 to fly on?!

(3) It seems QF’s cheapest fares are not as flexible as their counterparts in the UK (or especially the US) and I must expect to fly on my booked service? Ie do not expect flexibility on the day. Is this the way it works on QF (please no ‘book flex ticket if you want flexibility’ discussion, I just want to know how it works)?
Q1
Yes. QF tends to be more expensive. .
JQ has the worst on time performance
QF booze link---> Domestic and regional dining
<snip>
Our meal boxes and snacks deliver comforting and fresh options tailored to the time of travel.

Wine and beer are offered free of charge on select domestic and regional services:
  • on flights departing from 4pm everyday, and
  • on flights departing from 9am that are more than two and a half hours in duration.
<snip>
All QF flights include a checked bag. Can be a little tolerance with carry-on’s, but not the the same as usual on USA airlines. In AU the time to board a full B737 is a lot less than in USA (fewer carry ons)
QF link---> https://www.qantas.com/au/en/travel-...n-baggage.html
Base fare of VA is seat only.

Airlines that fly in Australia domestically. Excludes some small operatorsQ2
SYD-MEL wheels up/wheels down is 60~70 minutes depending on wind and runways in use
Some QF SYD MEL flights used to have a A330. But in a quick look for next week only B737 showing.
Could go SYD-CBR-MEL on smaller (more interesting?) aircraft.
QF fly B787’s SYD-PER-FCO and MEL-PER-LHR. So can get a domestic flight to/from PER on a wide body long haul aircraft. Depart/arrives from the international terminals.

Q3
Just expect what the ticket t&c’s allow. Nothing more.
If you have Oneworld emerald or sapphire status will be better seat options. At T-80 more seat options can open up. Row 4 on the QF B737 has far more leg room.
Oneworld emerald or sapphire status will also give QF domestic departure lounge access.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 5:55 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
If you have UA status then VA may be interesting for you.

I think QF and perhaps VA it is something like this. They have more flights so greater rick of cancellation (they will cancel planes that are not filling up, even at T-24 as I experienced on Saturday), but because they have more flights they are easier to accommodate you closer to your original flight time when they do cancel. JQ is owned by QF but not part of OW and has at times shocking customer service (from an EU/US perspective). No benefits to OW just like say flying Vueling.

The above comprehensive list missed bonza (https://www.flybonza.com/)

Unless you needed to get somewhere interesting, or have an aim to fly lots of airlines, for most purposes you can focus just on QF and VA - VA are buy on board and free water/tea/coffee. JQ is an option if you have no bags, otherwise the price creeps up.
And yes most of the time the planes are 737s and 320s. The wide bodies are sometimes on the MEL/SYD run but mostly later flights as they are getting the international plane back. The service, seats etc in Y are the same. In J the same service, different seats, but do you really need a lie down bed for 60 mins?

KF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.