Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Sale' fare changes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2023, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
'Sale' fare changes

Hi all,

while I fly a reasonable amount, I am not all experienced with Qantas in recent times so would be grateful for any advice. I'd like to have some ideas before I engage with Qantas.

I have purchased a 'sale' fare for a trip of 3 sectors (AKL-BNE | BNE-SYD-MNL | MNL-SYD-AKL).

I now need to look at options of cancellation or making a change.

In looking at the terms and conditions I see its $200 per change - so if I changed all 3 sectors would the fee be $600?

In regards to cancelling, the cost is $400. Does that mean I get the original fare less $400 and it will be as a credit not in cash?

Many thanks for any guidance.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 5:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Suggest you find your fare type here
https://www.qantas.com/au/en/book-a-...are-types.html

As a general rule, I do not trust anything that is written on the website popups when doing a cancellation, as I find the writing to be misleading, grammatically obtuse and inaccurate. I would like a clearer popup that says if you convert into a credit you will receive $X and if you refund to cash it will be $Y. That said I have the luxury of usually the calls go through to HBT.

If you make all of the changes at once you will pay one change fee ($200), but you will also be required to pay a Fare Difference. Depending on current fares and when you change to, the fare difference could be significant or none at all.

KF
SW7London likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
thanks very much Koru Flyer.

- yes found the rules there - but as you point too I find them to be a wee but unclear.

And yes understand the fare difference scenario.

Yes I am going to be at the mercy of the less than stellar non-HBT call center.

Can I change route? I'd be dropping BNE sector.

Cancellation refunds are credit not cash?

Old Aug 14, 2023, 5:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You need to read the fare rules to be sure - if it is made up of multiple fares, then there may be a change fee per fare component or maybe not - it depends on the rules

If it is a AKL-MNL r/t fare , then would almost certainly be $200 for all changes made in one go

It would look from what you screenshot that there is a simple $400 penalty for cancellation and so you would receive a refund of fare miinus $400 to form of payment

You are not down to any mercies - the various call centres are quite capable of proessing a simple cancellation, so no need to be disparaging towards them
Old Aug 14, 2023, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

thanks Dave and Koru very helpful. Yes bad form to be disparaging.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Related to my query and worry

I needed to cancel trip for MIL - saver - AKL-MNL return. Handled efficiently by Philippine call centre, $200 cancellation fee waived compassionately due to MIL illness (offered, not asked for). Refund in full on credit card within 48hours.
Koru Flyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.