Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

AKL lounge access in August/September

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2023, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite, KQ Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Choice Gold

A couple of questions.

I'm aware that the Qantas lounges are undergoing a much-needed refresh. Has there been any update on when the new lounge is likely to open? I'm flying (business class Oman Air ticket, Qatar metal) in August and September.
Second, and obviously related to the first question. Qatar are a partner of Qantas through OneWorld, so I get that if it was Qatar ticketed I'd get access (despite them sending pax to the third-party Strata lounge). However given it's WY ticketed, I assume that the Qantas lounge could refuse access?
Old Jun 19, 2023, 1:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What is the flight number on what you are booked? Are you booked on QRxxx or WYxxx ? It doesn't matter who ssued the ticket, what matters is the flight number

If you are booked on the QR flight number, then you will get lounge access to OW business lounges as well as whatever other lounge QR is providing for business class passengers
If you are booked on the WY flight number then you will only be entitled access to whatever lounge QR provides for business class passengers.
globalwanderer84 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
What is the flight number on what you are booked? Are you booked on QRxxx or WYxxx ? It doesn't matter who ssued the ticket, what matters is the flight number

If you are booked on the QR flight number, then you will get lounge access to OW business lounges as well as whatever other lounge QR is providing for business class passengers
If you are booked on the WY flight number then you will only be entitled access to whatever lounge QR provides for business class passengers.
Yep, as noted it's Oman Air ticketed, so a WY flight number. Wondering the likelihood of them letting me in regardless as I doubt AKL would see many Oman Air ticketed pax, and it'll be on QR ticket stock. Fully appreciate they are not required to.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by DomesticGoddess
Yep, as noted it's Oman Air ticketed, so a WY flight number. Wondering the likelihood of them letting me in regardless as I doubt AKL would see many Oman Air ticketed pax, and it'll be on QR ticket stock. Fully appreciate they are not required to.
If you are booked on a WY flight number, the boarding pass will say something like
WY12345 operated by QR12345

it will be crystal clear to the agent that it is a WY flight number - when the agent scans the boarding pass for admission, it is very unlikely to grant access

It is not at all uncommon for the agents to come actoss codeshares

The Qantas lounge isn't that amazing - what is wrong with the lounge that QR uses for its businsess class passengers? Looking at the One World lounge page, it seems that QR uses the Qantas lounge

The OW site indicates that the QF lounge is closed but that seems to not be supported by the QF website

I used the Emperor Lounge ( now Strate Lounge ) several times and it was ok

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jun 19, 2023 at 8:17 pm
Old Jun 19, 2023, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

If you are booked on a WY flight number, the boarding pass will say something like
WY12345 operated by QR12345

it will be crystal clear to the agent that it is a WY flight number - when the agent scans the boarding pass for admission, it is very unlikely to grant access

It is not at all uncommon for the agents to come actoss codeshares

The Qantas lounge isn't that amazing - what is wrong with the lounge that QR uses for its businsess class passengers? Looking at the One World lounge page, it seems that QR uses the Qantas lounge

The OW site indicates that the QF lounge is closed but that seems to not be supported by the QF website

I used the Emperor Lounge ( now Strate Lounge ) several times and it was ok
The Strata lounge is fine; I was just interested if the new Qantas lounge might be open by the time I travel as I'd like to check it out (the previous lounge was not in great shape), and if it's possible I'd be given entry. I had read that QR directs their passengers to the Strata lounge, but this may have changed. Review: Strata Lounge Auckland - A Priority Pass Lounge - Travel Codex
Old Jun 19, 2023, 9:21 pm

If yoiu would like to be able to use the Qantas lounge, perhaps check with WY whether your ticket allows for booking on the QR flight number and , if so, change to be on the QR number rather than WY

I would suspect that there is no chance that the agents will not see that you are booked on WY
Old Jun 20, 2023, 4:04 am
Original Poster

If yoiu would like to be able to use the Qantas lounge, perhaps check with WY whether your ticket allows for booking on the QR flight number and , if so, change to be on the QR number rather than WY

I would suspect that there is no chance that the agents will not see that you are booked on WY
Thanks I might try that if it opens by then.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 4:07 pm

A couple of questions.

I'm aware that the Qantas lounges are undergoing a much-needed refresh. Has there been any update on when the new lounge is likely to open? I'm flying (business class Oman Air ticket, Qatar metal) in August and September.
I found this post when searching for myself so I'll provide an update for others: Qantas AKL Lounge renovations not yet done, old space is still used, the wall says nee space coming soon but no ETA specified.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 7:01 pm

Yep, as noted it's Oman Air ticketed, so a WY flight number
Just for the sake of correctness, you most certainly can have a WY ticket (910) and for it to be booked as a QR flight number. You could be correct in your case that is indeed a WY flight number, but a 910 ticket =/= a WY flight number
Old Aug 28, 2023, 3:06 am

I'm aware that the Qantas lounges are undergoing a much-needed refresh. Has there been any update on when the new lounge is likely to open?
The 'new lounge' won't emerge fully-formed until the second half of 2024, with the work being done in stages, and last time I went through AKL nothing had actually begun.

Qantas has said work will begin by removing the wall between the current business class and first class lounge, and then expanding the combined space.

“The first part of the works will be the expansion” says Phil Capps, Qantas’ Executive Manager of Product & Service, “because we can get access to that part of the terminal early.”
“We want to maximise access to the existing lounge space before the rebuild and refurbishment happens.”
Capps is aiming for this first stage to be completed “late this year, and then it'll probably take between six and nine months beyond that” for new-look lounge to take shape “somewhere beyond the middle of next year.”
“You can take an accelerated approach, but that means you need to close down more of the lounge than what you’d otherwise do; or you can take a slightly longer approach and make sure that we can preserve as much access as we can.”

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.