Wiki Posts
Search

QF/CX/BA Interlining confusion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2023, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Did you go to the check in desk specifically for those with international connections or was it a regular domestic check in desk?

The QF information on the web page indicates that it is permitted, but indeed does need the check in agent to be able to locate the flight. Was perhaps the agent not searching for the BA flight with tomorrow's date? The other consideration might be how long the connection time is between arrival and departure at Paris. are you meeting the minimum connection time?

If the bags are now checked through to Paris, the only thing to do is collect the bags and check in again there.
Have a feeling it was a regular business class check in desk. The agent searched by PNR but couldn't find the booking (although it’s a confirmed flight) and the connection time is 4 hours. Such is life! As the connection at CDG is so long I’m not too fussed, but just would have been nice!

Last edited by woobl; Jan 31, 2023 at 9:06 pm
Old Feb 1, 2023, 3:06 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Odd that they could not find it. In the past I have waved paper itins and they have just added the sectors as information and all is good.

did you use the international transfer checkin deck at BNE domestic, or the QF dedicated premium checkin area? Just wondering as that could be a reason?
Old Feb 7, 2023, 8:15 pm

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
I just did an interline last weekend on separate (redemption) tickets and check-in was flawless at HKG. I had HKG-AMS on CX connecting to AMS-LHR on BA. Connection time was 4hrs. Bags were through-checked and BA boarding pass issued. One thing to note, agent could not issue BA boarding pass using only the record locator, she asked me for the ticket number begining 125 (BA) in order to do so.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 5:24 pm

Programs: BA silver
Originally Posted by Dorsetboy
Thx for the update. We are returning to the UK in a couple of weeks. I will report back on what happens, but have taken note of Dave Noble’s reply to you
UPDATE;
So arrived at BNE this morning with a revenue ticket to SYD and an award ticket on a different PNR up to LHR on BA.
On advice from this thread we went to International Connections, with ticket numbers on BA just in case, and were greeted with a smile and a firm ‘no we can’t check you through, sorry’. I had the QF interline baggage page on my phone and showed them the detail. Things then changed and a supervisor appeared. After about 20 minutes and much discussion the decision was ‘Yes we can’. The impression we got was this is a little known benefit and unless the supervisor is familiar with ticketing then it’s easier to refuse.
Anyway we are delighted to get bags checked through to LHR and thanks to Mwenenzi and Dave Noble for highlighting this extremely useful and probably underused benefit.
percysmith likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 2:24 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Great that it worked out, and annoying that you needed to come prepared, and it took 20 mins! Surely the SOPs on Intl connections and through check of baggage should not be beyond the training requirements for someone on the Intl Connections desk of a major capital city airport!
LondonAussie likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 4:20 am

Programs: BA silver
The check in clerk was in training and had someone standing over her. They refused but I insisted it be referred up the line. A supervisor appeared and refused until I showed her the QF baggage interline policy(which I had downloaded). It’s clearly a little used/understood arrangement with passengers and staff.
My advice to anyone in a similar situation;
1. Go to the international connections desk and with flight ticket numbers and PNRs identifying which is revenue/award on a piece of paper which they can carry around
2. Have a copy of the QF baggage interline policy to hand
3. Stay polite, patient and persistent
Old Mar 11, 2023, 10:41 pm

Qantas will not check the baggage through with an interline connection from a paid ticket to another paid ticket - other than for QF-QF or QF-EK
It will check baggage through to a Onw World carrier between a revenue amd redemption booking

See https://www.qantas.com/agencyconnect...d-baggage.html

Book CDG-LHR as a redemption booking and you should be ok
Thanks for sharing the link.

i have a QF flight originating from Australia, ending in US. this is an award ticket issued using AS miles
if i want to through check my bags from Australia to the final destination in US, does that also mean I need to have an AA or AS domestic leg that is an award ticket (not revenue fare)?

https://www.qantas.com/agencyconnect...d-baggage.html

Origin or Destination Points in the United States

For interline and codeshare itineraries that originate in the United States or has United States as a destination, where Qantas is the first marketing carrier (meaning the carrier whose code appears in the flight number of the first flight), Qantas has chosen to apply the most significant carrier’s baggage allowance and fees for the whole itinerary, as this will most often be favourable to our customers.

As the DoT rules require that the same baggage allowance and fees apply throughout the itinerary, where Qantas is not the first marketing carrier on the itinerary, Qantas will not have control over which baggage rules apply to the itinerary, including on flights that are marketed by Qantas.

To assist you to determine if customers baggage will be interlined and boarding passes issued by Airport staff, please refer to the table below:
"Table"
^ Exemptions apply for customers travelling on a oneworld separate PNRs when using a combination of award travel and revenue travel. Note: This is a Qantas exemption and may not be supported by all oneworld airlines.
* Provided Qantas Interline and Inter-Airline Through Check-in (IATCI)Opens external site in a new window agreements exist.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 12:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gnomey
Thanks for sharing the link.

i have a QF flight originating from Australia, ending in US. this is an award ticket issued using AS miles
if i want to through check my bags from Australia to the final destination in US, does that also mean I need to have an AA or AS domestic leg that is an award ticket (not revenue fare)?
It means the opposite. If you have an award flight to the USA on Qantas and then a domestic paid ticket on an OW carrier, then you can get the bags checked through

As the DoT rules require that the same baggage allowance and fees apply throughout the itinerary, where Qantas is not the first marketing carrier on the itinerary, Qantas will not have control over which baggage rules apply to the itinerary, including on flights that are marketed by Qantas.
The flights on the separate domestic booking are not part of the same itinerary. Qantas's allowances apply for the Qantas flight, AA/AS's allowance apply for the AA/AS flight
Old Mar 12, 2023, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a QF flight originating from Australia, ending in US. this is an award ticket issued using AS miles
If I want to through check my bags from Australia to the final destination in US, does that also mean I need to have an AA or AS domestic leg that is an award ticket
Assume the QF award (AS) and the next AA/AS flight are separate.
Anyway you must clear immigration & customs with all your carry-on & checked bags at the first USA port of entry. Then bag drop / check-in for your next USA domestic flight.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 12:56 am

It means the opposite. If you have an award flight to the USA on Qantas and then a domestic paid ticket on an OW carrier, then you can get the bags checked through
ok, so it doesnt matter which one is rev which one is award. as long as one of each

The flights on the separate domestic booking are not part of the same itinerary. Qantas's allowances apply for the Qantas flight, AA/AS's allowance apply for the AA/AS flight
so from qantas system side, can they see the AA/AS allowance? what you mean is if qantas allows 32 kg, and AA/AS allows 23 kg, then i will need to follow 23 kg (conservative estimate) to be allowed check through?

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Assume the QF award (AS) and the next AA/AS flight are separate.
Anyway you must clear immigration & customs with all your carry-on & checked bags at the first USA port of entry. Then bag drop / check-in for your next USA domestic flight.
yes, bag drop is the easy part. trying to get bag tagged through on separate PNRs is more tricky
Old Mar 14, 2023, 7:12 am

Programs: QF WP
We've got an award ticket on QF MEL-HND which arrives at 8.00pm....We then have a connecting DONE4 HND-LHR-BCN on BA which leaves at 8.50am then next morning....We'd prefer to overnight at the transit hotel....Rang QF and spoke to Hobart who called Melbourne International Check In and confirmed that QF would not check our bags through to BCN because BA wont allow it !!!....presumably because of the 13 hours in transit....Does anyone know if we could, in fact, have our bags checked through to BCN and therefore just transit at the Transit Hotel ?
Old Mar 14, 2023, 1:14 pm

With an award ticker and then a paid ticket , if it is not longer than airport allows.

Given the impact if the airline will not check the bags through, I would personally not gamble on the transit hotel but book the landside hotel
Old Mar 14, 2023, 2:55 pm

Programs: QF WP
yeh Dave the transit is within airport rules but BA arent happy to play ball so I'll take your recommendation and go landside....many thanks
Old Mar 14, 2023, 3:12 pm

I am not at all convinced that the information you have received is at all accurate. There is no issue with an airline choosing to check bags through to BA and QFs policy allows for checking of bags through between award and paid travel

I think that booking the landside hotel just avoids the risk - if the bagd get checked through, then will not take long to get to the landside hotel anyway
Old Mar 14, 2023, 8:21 pm

HND does not close at night (unlike NRT - the lounges do close though around 1am) so an overnight transit is possible with bags being held. Lots of experience in the JAL forum of people overnighting, and my own. The willingness as you have seen of QF to through check bags on separate PNRs is limited (and to be fair most airlines will give up at the sight of two PNRs, long transit etc). And you are not going to have any kind of answer until you rock up to checkin unfortunately. I would assume the answer is no and be surprised.

(also nothing to do with BA, QF can technically print the tags - but their policy, knowledge, training, capability etc etc will push towards the "please pick your bags at HND and recheck with BA").

Another risk, is whether you can get an online BP from BA. When I last went through HND earlier this year it was still very streamed on arrival into different COVID channels and residency status, so I am not sure on your ability to actually wander around, esp. if you cannot get a BP from BA, as arrivals and departures were separate at that time at least.

The Royal Park transit hotel is very basic, and is the same hotel airside and the landside. Obviously the two sides do not connect. But the airside part is not much more than a room and that is it.

The landside part is at T3, and is connected to the departures area. So is not the end of the world if you have to clear immigration, and then back through security. I would select the landside hotel and be happy with avoiding a bus.

KF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.