Wiki Posts
Search

QF new schedule - SYD-YVR year round

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2021, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
QF new schedule - SYD-YVR year round

Yesterday's announcement: QF published it's new international schedule from mid-December (assuming Aussiea border opens) - SYD-YVR year round (3 times per week) - hopefully some competition for AC whose pricing on this route has been 20-30% higher than other options (eg. routing via Asia or US).Just checked and return J fare SYD-YVR on QF is 20% cheaper than AC in July 2022.

Last time I flew QF on this route it was a clapped out 747 with slopey sky beds - 787-9 now - so very competitive hard product-wise. Anyone's guess on service. Of course if you're a hardcore *A flyer then OW won't be attractive to you.
EdmFlyBoi likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 8:14 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Given the state of NSW, I would be SHOCKED if Australia opens up flights to non residents by end of the year.

I know that AC was hoping to start 3x SYD again in December as well, which would line up with the QF announcement.

That said, QF and ANZ have run those routes before and prices never really seemed to change. Even with AC running MEL/SYD/BNE prices to Australia (especially semi-premium seats) have only gone up.
jrfsp320 likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 8:22 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by lcohen999
Given the state of NSW, I would be SHOCKED if Australia opens up flights to non residents by end of the year.
I've got a June trip that seems iffy.

I would buy these tickets from QF *or* AC with an Uluru-sized grain of salt.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
Agree on pricing - Australia to North America has always been more expensive than Australia - Europe due to more competition on the Europe route - hence my hope that more competition to Canada would help. But post Covid travel - it's really hard to say how pricing will go on any route . Being in total lockdown here in Sydney for the past 8 weeks and borders closed for 18 months - there is huge latent demand Down Under - we want to escape - some residents with dual-citizenship are leaving for good.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 6:15 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Great news. I think with the US travel restrictions/bans, a lot of passengers have lost the will to connect in the US (or any third country, really) because of the risks involved.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 8:11 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by keitherson
Great news. I think with the US travel restrictions/bans, a lot of passengers have lost the will to connect in the US (or any third country, really) because of the risks involved.
I have a flight booked to YVR for next year on points. I was initially on CX via HKG but as soon as QF opened seats on flights I jumped for that reason exactly. Much prefer to be going direct-albeit at the expense of a nice few hours in the Pier lounge. (Also saved $200 in taxes!)
pschafer likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 9:03 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
…..Much prefer to be going direct-albeit at the expense of a nice few hours in the Pier lounge. (Also saved $200 in taxes!)
Pier would be good so long as it’s opening again
Old Sep 6, 2021, 12:50 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Ah - I miss the bygone days of the DC-10 CP Air service to YVR via Fiji.
pschafer, 3544quebec and og like this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by davistev
Ah - I miss the bygone days of the DC-10 CP Air service to YVR via Fiji.
You brought a tear to my eye - my first 1st Class flight, only passenger in the cabin and CP managed to serve a multi-course meal on the short flight to Nadi. (but then again they were also able to do the same on a continuing international flight that went on from YVR to YYC - its amazing how much food I could stuff down my gullet in an hour in my youth)
davistev likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.