Wiki Posts
Search

SYD-LDH in Feb: $1500+ for flights?!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2020, 12:58 pm

Programs: QF, CoUniHound Refugee
Have You Tried QF Reward Redemption?

Greetings,

Lord Howe is a relatively inexpensive place to fly to if you have the requisite Qantas Frequent Flyer miles.

Here's a classic reward I found towards the end of January. For instance I'm seeing Economy Classic Rewards for 16,000 miles + $176 in taxes and fees return for a departure of Tuesday 26 of January, returning on either Saturday 30 of January or Sunday 31st of January. I can't help you with hotels although I hear the locals love it when it tourists pitch tents by the beach!

Cheers,

Your Friendly Kangaroo Flyer
(And United DollarsPlus Refugee since 2020)
Old Dec 26, 2020, 4:19 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by kangarooflyer88
........ I can't help you with hotels although I hear the locals love it when it tourists pitch tents by the beach!
shirley you can’t be serious
Old Dec 26, 2020, 5:16 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by og
shirley you can’t be serious
I am serious - and stop calling me Shirley.

LDH is associated with all kinds of strange stuff. When I was learning to fly at YPMQ a local cowboy airline (no longer in operation after losing 1 or 2 aircraft) inbound from LDH declared an emergency and jumped the queue (I think it was an AFIZ then), touched down, taxied off the strip and the engines died. They had literally run dry.
og and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by shillard
LDH is associated with all kinds of strange stuff. When I was learning to fly at YPMQ a local cowboy airline (no longer in operation after losing 1 or 2 aircraft) inbound from LDH declared an emergency and jumped the queue (I think it was an AFIZ then), touched down, taxied off the strip and the engines died. They had literally run dry.
Looks like that bird earned its ETOPS rating

-'roo Flyer
Old Dec 26, 2020, 6:37 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P

-'roo Flyer
I guess that the search was on for a very well trained proctologist to retrieve the pilot’s seat cushion.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 9:55 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.

-'roo Flyer
ETOPS - Engines Turn Or Passengers Swim
Old Dec 28, 2020, 2:18 am

Programs: QF WP
Tangentially related so hopefully ok to post- lord Howe counting as part of NSW for state borders purposes? And open to visitors at the moment?
Old Dec 28, 2020, 2:20 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Lord Howe is open to visitors. I believe accomodation on the island is sold out until June 2021 though.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by nancypants
Tangentially related so hopefully ok to post- lord Howe counting as part of NSW for state borders purposes? And open to visitors at the moment?
Certainly Lord Howe is part of NSW. However, so far as I can tell there appears to be several set of rules for border crossing depending on where you're from. If you're from the Northern Beeches travel is more or less cancelled. If you're from the greater Sydney area and Wollongong self-isolation on return is required. Lastly, if you're in rural and regional NSW things are less clear. Some states have very few restrictions (e.g. take test, self-isolate until you get negative results) whereas other states have barred travel from NSW altogether. At the same time, these rules are constantly changing and what may be applicable today may not be true tomorrow, especially if we see an uptick in SARS-2 cases in NSW.

Travelling at this point in time, is a fool's errand, even with border restrictions reduced. We saw how quick state governments are to putting up borders the moment they take them down, one need only look at Western Australia which took its border down with NSW on Dec 11 only to put it back up a week later. As for myself, I'm planning travel starting April 1, and again that might be too optimistic as well. I get why people want to travel being stuck in the same place for a long period of time will drive anyone crazy.

Cheers,

Your Trusty Kangaroo!
Old Dec 31, 2020, 4:19 am

Programs: QF, HH
...As for myself, I'm planning travel starting April 1, and again that might be too optimistic as well. I get why people want to travel being stuck in the same place for a long period of time will drive anyone crazy.

Cheers,

Your Trusty Kangaroo!
Yep, just goes to show that we Aussies can't cope with this stuff!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.