Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refund Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2020, 9:44 pm

Programs: QF Plat, BA GGL, VA Silver, SQ Gold, IHG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The CoC only allows for a refund for a significant schedule change - 1 minute is not close to being significant and I also doubt that Australian consumer law would class a refund as an entitlement in such a minor schedule change

As far as cancellation - I was fairly sure that with 3 separate fares on 1 itinerary, that a cancellation of 1 flight would allow for refund of all fares on that ticket and that this is a benefit of booking in such a way rather than buying 3 standalone tickets
So you wish to dispute the fact that, as an agent, I've processed numerous full no penalty refunds over the past years with schedule changes of 1-5 mins? I use the policy to the advantage of my clients, automatically, without being asked to.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by madrooster
So you wish to dispute the fact that, as an agent, I've processed numerous full no penalty refunds over the past years with schedule changes of 1-5 mins? I use the policy to the advantage of my clients, automatically, without being asked to.
You stated that a one minute time change is grounds for a full refund. This is not reflected in the airline's contract with the passenger, nor is it supported by Australian consumer law.

You may have been able to process refunds, as a travel agent, based on a one minute time change, but that does not mean the passenger has a 'right' to do so, or could demand a refund if calling Qantas.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 9:07 am

Programs: QF Plat, BA GGL, VA Silver, SQ Gold, IHG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
You stated that a one minute time change is grounds for a full refund. This is not reflected in the airline's contract with the passenger, nor is it supported by Australian consumer law.

You may have been able to process refunds, as a travel agent, based on a one minute time change, but that does not mean the passenger has a 'right' to do so, or could demand a refund if calling Qantas.
There are examples online on Australian Frequent Flyer where members have been offered a refund with such small time changes, even proactively, on direct bookings when calling in.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by madrooster
There are examples online on Australian Frequent Flyer where members have been offered a refund with such small time changes, even proactively, on direct bookings when calling in.
I'm not disagreeing that this has happened. We all get lucky some time when the dice roll the right way. But there is no contractual or consumer law basis for it. If an agent says 'no', I cannot think of any formal grounds on which to pursue the claim.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 2:45 am

Programs: Meh
I never got e-mail confirmation of refund being processed - is this normal?
Gorcat likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA - Bronze : HHonnors Gold : Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by stevie
I never got e-mail confirmation of refund being processed - is this normal?
Yes, the rep informed me, when I telephoned for my refund, that there wouldn’t be any email confirmation of the refund request.
She also said to keep a note of the date of my request and if I hadn’t received the refund after 10 weeks, to telephone again and they would process it immediately.
Soon after the call I could see that my booking had disappeared from ‘my trips’ on the Qantas App.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 3:17 am

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by Gorcat
Yes, the rep informed me, when I telephoned for my refund, that there wouldn’t be any email confirmation of the refund request.
She also said to keep a note of the date of my request and if I hadn’t received the refund after 10 weeks, to telephone again and they would process it immediately.
Soon after the call I could see that my booking had disappeared from ‘my trips’ on the Qantas App.
This is exactly what happened to me. After 10 weeks I called and they processed the refund there and then. At that point you should get an email confirmation and the funds should be back on your credit card within a few days.
Gorcat likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

abc.net.au Link----> Qantas offers customers refunds for flight cancellations as Government instructs ACCC to keep watch over airlines

Qantas is offering customers a refund for flights cancelled or suspended due to COVID-19 travel restrictions, as the Government orders Australia's competition watchdog to monitor anti-competitive behaviour of airlines

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) said the agency's COVID-19 Taskforce raised concerns with Qantas after receiving hundreds of complaints from passengers whose flights were suspended or cancelled due to travel restrictions, but who were given credits by Qantas instead of the refunds they were entitled to.

The move comes as the Federal Government instructs the ACCC to keep watch over airlines including attempts to swamp airline routes, artificially push down prices or lock in exclusive deals with airports and suppliers.
<snip>
Edit
news.com.au Link---> Qantas savaged over coronavirus refund policy
The consumer watchdog has savaged Qantas for not telling customers they were entitled to refunds on flights cancelled as a result of the coronavirus.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission has received hundreds of complaints from passengers whose flights were suspended or cancelled because of travel restrictions but were given credit, not refunds.

“From our perspective, from the outset, Qantas did not communicate clearly with customers about their rights and in a large number of cases, simply omitted they were entitled to a refund,” ACCC chair Rod Sims said in a statement on Friday.

“In some cases, the ACCC considers Qantas’ emails may have encouraged these customers to cancel bookings themselves in order to receive a credit when many would have been eligible for a refund.”

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 18, 2020 at 11:56 pm
Old Jun 19, 2020, 12:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
So with this latest news on cancellations, does it mean previous accepted vouchers (believing their was no alternative) can now be fully cancelled and cash back?
Old Jun 19, 2020, 3:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nivsy
So with this latest news on cancellations, does it mean previous accepted vouchers (believing their was no alternative) can now be fully cancelled and cash back?
If you have already accepted a voucher, you cannot now go back and ask for a refund
Old Jun 19, 2020, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you have already accepted a voucher, you cannot now go back and ask for a refund
Just about anything that has been ‘done’ can be ‘undone’. If a passenger was misled into taking an option, I don’t see why that couldn’t be revisited.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 4:04 am

Just about anything that has been ‘done’ can be ‘undone’. If a passenger was misled into taking an option, I don’t see why that couldn’t be revisited.
If my reading was correct, the person accepted a voucher and then the flight was cancelled -in that case I cannot see any reason for the airline to give a refund

If the person never requested a refund, but went online and clicked accepting a credit, I still doubt that a refund would be granted

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jun 19, 2020 at 4:13 am
Old Jun 19, 2020, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If my reading was correct, the person accepted a voucher and then the flight was cancelled -in that case I cannot see any reason for the airline to give a refund

If the person never requested a refund, but went online and clicked accepting a credit, I still doubt that a refund would be granted
I don't know where you're reading this? It's not the OP's example. And it sounded like nivsy's question may have been a hypothetical?

I think there are multiple layers here. If Qantas kept flights 'active' in the system to encourage people to self cancel, there could well be grounds to reverse a voucher.

Singapore airlines for example is still showing a flight in their system that i know has been cancelled. Does that make by request for a refund voluntary?
Old Jun 19, 2020, 6:13 pm

I don't know where you're reading this? It's not the OP's example. And it sounded like nivsy's question may have been a hypothetical?

I think there are multiple layers here. If Qantas kept flights 'active' in the system to encourage people to self cancel, there could well be grounds to reverse a voucher.

Singapore airlines for example is still showing a flight in their system that i know has been cancelled. Does that make by request for a refund voluntary?
The inferrence was that the person stated "with this latest news on cancellations" - i.e. current and then stated "does it mean previous accepted vouchers" which implies to me that the vouchers were accepted before the latest news on cancellations and therefore was voluntarily cancelled before the flight was cancelled by the airline

Has Singapore Airlines stated that the flight is cancelled - if so then it wouldnt be a voluntary refund. If SQ has indicated that it plans not to run the flight, but has not actually cancelled it, then wait for the actual cancellation to occur
Old Jun 19, 2020, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Qantas campaign was carefully orchestrated, inviting people to cancel now and receive a voucher or possibly ‘miss out’ later. Some of those flights QF likely knew they were never going to operate, but did not cancel them in the system... thus forcing a ‘voluntary’ cancellation (or so they would argue). QF should have cancelled those flights up front, as soon as they knew they were not going to operate them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.