FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   Refund Advice Needed (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/2019359-refund-advice-needed.html)

Gorcat Jun 9, 2020 4:20 pm

Refund Advice Needed

Hi

I’ve got three internal flights booked with Qantas in July - all on the same booking ref.

Perth to Melbourne
Melbourne to Cairns
Cairns to Sydney

I’ve received an email from Qantas stating that my direct Melbourne to Cairns flight has now been cancelled. However they have rebooked me on another flight changing at Brisbane, and doubling the journey time.
I have options of pressing a button to accept the change or press a button for cancel/voucher.

However I would just like a refund for this booking, there’s no way I’m going to make this journey.

Am I entitled to a refund, and if so how should I go about it? I don’t want to press the cancel/voucher button in case that ruins any chance of obtaining a refund.

Thanks in advance.

Dave Noble Jun 9, 2020 4:55 pm

If you phone in, you can definitely get the MEL-CNS fare refunded. Each of these journeys would be separate fares , just sold as end-on-end ticketing ( assuming normal fares ) but I think that you should be able to refund the entire booking since you have them all on a single ticketed itinerary, but not 100% sure if this applies with it being 3 one-way fares

stevie Jun 10, 2020 1:52 am

I am now in the same position. They have changed one flight out of 2. There are 4 of us living in Europe and I want a full refund. Only credit offered which I may never use at this stage.
Can I get a full refund on line - or do I have to call them up?

Dave Noble Jun 10, 2020 2:39 am

Originally Posted by stevie (Post 32444206)
I am now in the same position. They have changed one flight out of 2. There are 4 of us living in Europe and I want a full refund. Only credit offered which I may never use at this stage.

Is it a change or is the flight cancelled - if it is just a time change then , then unless significant, not going to get a refund - if it is cancelled, then will be able to be refunded if you telephone and request

stevie Jun 10, 2020 3:18 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 32444247)
Is it a change or is the flight cancelled - if it is just a time change then , then unless significant, not going to get a refund - if it is cancelled, then will be able to be refunded if you telephone and request

Just got this today Dave:Qantas has announced further network changes in response to Coronavirus and various government travel restrictions.

As a result we've had to cancel your flight.

We're sorting everything out for you. Your booking is being updated now and we'll send an email with your new flight details within the next 48 hours.

Gorcat Jun 10, 2020 3:20 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 32443464)
If you phone in, you can definitely get the MEL-CNS fare refunded. Each of these journeys would be separate fares , just sold as end-on-end ticketing ( assuming normal fares ) but I think that you should be able to refund the entire booking since you have them all on a single ticketed itinerary, but not 100% sure if this applies with it being 3 one-way fares

Hi Dave
I’m in the UK and in the queue for 0800 964 432
However the queueing time is over an hour.
Do you know, would there be a better time to call them, or have I just got to hang on?

Dave Noble Jun 10, 2020 3:25 am

I would suggest just holding on - the Australian line does sometimes offer a call back option, but not sure if this would be offered to UK phone numbers

Gorcat Jun 10, 2020 3:37 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 32444309)
I would suggest just holding on - the Australian line does sometimes offer a call back option, but not sure if this would be offered to UK phone numbers

Unfortunately the call back is only for Australian and New Zealand phones.
Thanks anyway.
At least the 0800 number isn’t costing me :)

Gorcat Jun 10, 2020 5:06 am

Originally Posted by stevie (Post 32444206)

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 32444309)

Well that was quite painless really.
A very pleasant and polite Rep answered my call after around 75 minutes - that’s approx what they initially said the waiting time was going to be.

I said I wanted to request a refund for my booking as one of my flights on the booking ref had been cancelled.

She said she could see that was the case and that I would get a full refund for the booking.

She said the refund would take 8-10 weeks.
She said if it wasn’t credited to my card after 10 weeks, then phone back and they’ll do it immediately.

Hopefully it all goes to plan.
Thanks for your help Dave.

Dave Noble Jun 10, 2020 5:39 am

If the refund has been agreed, I don't think that you have anything to worry about - other than the excessive time quoted for a refund

Gorcat Jun 10, 2020 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 32444504)
If the refund has been agreed, I don't think that you have anything to worry about - other than the excessive time quoted for a refund

I’ve just checked my Qantas App and all the trips on the booking have gone :)
Looking good.

madrooster Jun 12, 2020 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 32443464)

The whole ticket can be refunded when there's any cancellation or even a 1 minute time change.

Dave Noble Jun 12, 2020 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by madrooster (Post 32452184)
The whole ticket can be refunded when there's any cancellation or even a 1 minute time change.

The CoC only allows for a refund for a significant schedule change - 1 minute is not close to being significant and I also doubt that Australian consumer law would class a refund as an entitlement in such a minor schedule change

As far as cancellation - I was fairly sure that with 3 separate fares on 1 itinerary, that a cancellation of 1 flight would allow for refund of all fares on that ticket and that this is a benefit of booking in such a way rather than buying 3 standalone tickets

LHR/MEL/Europe FF Jun 14, 2020 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 32452227)
The CoC only allows for a refund for a significant schedule change - 1 minute is not close to being significant and I also doubt that Australian consumer law would class a refund as an entitlement in such a minor schedule change

As far as cancellation - I was fairly sure that with 3 separate fares on 1 itinerary, that a cancellation of 1 flight would allow for refund of all fares on that ticket and that this is a benefit of booking in such a way rather than buying 3 standalone tickets

Agree, a one minute time change is not grounds for cancellation under either QF's conditions of carriage or Australian consumer law (or in fact any consumer law I can think of, including EC261).

Also agree that if sold as a single itinerary and single ticket, cancellation/changes on one leg are grounds for a total refund of the whole ticket.

stevie Jun 15, 2020 8:58 am

Update today: they told me all flights cancelled in August so I rang the Irish number got through straight away and they fully refunded. Said it would take a couple of weeks to get the money. 5 mins it took,