Search

Qantas ownership

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2020, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Qantas ownership

Originally Posted by OZFLYER86
the same should apply to Qantas. Aren't they 49% foreign owned ?

How is the 49% rule managed ? eg. if an Australian sells Qantas shares, how on earth does anyone know who is ultimately buying those shares ? Could be some overseas entity.
I think it was about 35% at last check - Qantas are required to keep tabs on it.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 12:19 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
the same should apply to Qantas. Aren't they 49% foreign owned ?

How is the 49% rule managed ? eg. if an Australian sells Qantas shares, how on earth does anyone know who is ultimately buying those shares ? Could be some overseas entity.
You'll need to be registered (HIN or similar) to buy stock on the ASX. So they know who holds it and where they are located.

How they prevent it from going over 49% I'm not sure.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 7:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
You'll need to be registered (HIN or similar) to buy stock on the ASX. So they know who holds it and where they are located.

but surely a foreign entity could own or control an australian entity ?
Old Apr 11, 2020, 2:18 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
but surely a foreign entity could own or control an australian entity ?
Not if it’s classed as an essential entity, which is why the Qantas Sale Act legislated for the privatisation of Qantas at a time when large scale privatisations were deemed to be desirable. It included setting restrictions on foreign ownership meaning:
  • no more than 49% of Qantas can be owned by foreign persons
  • no more than 35% can be owned by a foreign airline
  • no one foreign person own more than 25%
  • no more than one third of the directors can be voted in by those representing foreign shareholdings.
The takeover of Grain Corp by a foreign company was vetoed on similar grounds, being an essential service, by the FIRB
Old Apr 11, 2020, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by markis10
Not if it’s classed as an essential entity, which is why the Qantas Sale Act legislated for the privatisation of Qantas at a time when large scale privatisations were deemed to be desirable. It included setting restrictions on foreign ownership meaning:
  • no more than 49% of Qantas can be owned by foreign persons
  • no more than 35% can be owned by a foreign airline
  • no one foreign person own more than 25%
  • no more than one third of the directors can be voted in by those representing foreign shareholdings.
The takeover of Grain Corp by a foreign company was vetoed on similar grounds, being an essential service, by the FIRB
sorry I should have been clearer.
If ABC owns a majority or 100% of DEF & DEF owns a majority or 100% of GHI & so on ...

If ABC is foreign, but shares are owned by an Australian co way down the line, who knows who owns what ?
Old Apr 11, 2020, 8:13 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
sorry I should have been clearer.
If ABC owns a majority or 100% of DEF & DEF owns a majority or 100% of GHI & so on ...

If ABC is foreign, but shares are owned by an Australian co way down the line, who knows who owns what ?
The government will have visibility of Aussie companies and their share ownership, when it jumps, overseas it will be obvious. And there have been some good examples where they picked up these details when it came to circumventing tax or real estate laws
Old Apr 11, 2020, 11:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by markis10
The government will have visibility of Aussie companies and their share ownership, when it jumps, overseas it will be obvious. And there have been some good examples where they picked up these details when it came to circumventing tax or real estate laws
can't be that hard to hide onwership. Smart accountants don't work for ATO. ATO is always playing catch up.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 3:45 am

Programs: QF WP; VA Gold
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
QF have to keep an eye on it. If they go over 49% there is a mechanism in the Qantas Sale Act, basically most recent foreign purchasers must sell their shares within a time period when notified by the company secretary. I am sure if there dont there will be a mechanism to force a sale/buy back.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 7:10 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] This thread comes from a larger discussion in the VA forum and was moved here. [/mod hat]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.