Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas terminates SYD-PEK from March

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2020, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Qantas terminates SYD-PEK from March

Heard that Qantas will from March discontinue services to Beijing. Again. The reason was because of low demand. When that route is discontinued, the SYD-PVG service will be the only Chinese mainland service operated by QF.

But I also read that Qantas have an extensive partnership with China Eastern, as they are both members of the Oneworld alliance. For example, if a person on a Qantas flight lands in PVG, they can connect with China Eastern to many other destinations in China, including Beijing. I think they also might have the same deal with China Southern, as they are also planning to move to Oneworld.

The only other airline is Air China. But they don't codeshare with Qantas, due to Air China serving not as many destinations of Qantas than China Eastern does. Nonetheless, CA will still operate daily flights between Sydney to big cities in China.

What do you guys think about the termination decision?
Old Jan 14, 2020, 7:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I think that Qantas knows a lot more about the profitability of the SYD-PEK route than I do - if it makes more money using the aeroplanes on other routes, it makes sense

Qantas may partner with China Eastern, but China Eastern is not a OneWorld member
Old Jan 14, 2020, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lucas.zhu
But I also read that Qantas have an extensive partnership with China Eastern, as they are both members of the Oneworld alliance....
China Eastern is not a Oneworld member
https://www.oneworld.com/members

However QF has ff & flight partnerships with many airlines. From other alliances or non aligned
https://www.qantas.com/nz/en/frequen...s/flights.html

As per your other posts on similar subjects you need to do a lot more basic research.

Link 13 Nov 2019 -----> https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...in-march-2020/
Qantas has announced it will suspend flights from Sydney to Beijing in March 2020, and will serve its route “indirectly through partner airlines”.

Currently, Qantas flies between Sydney and Beijing five times weekly using an Airbus A330 aircraft. The airline says this route is “not commercially viable due to excess market capacity and weak demand for Business Class on flights between the two cities”.

<snip>

“Our flights to Beijing have been underperforming for some time due to weaker demand as well as a big increase in capacity from other airlines,” says Tino La Spina, Qantas International CEO.

In contrast, Qantas says its daily flights between Sydney and Shanghai continue to perform well and there are no changes to this schedule.
<snip>
nancypants, Blackcloud and pbl22 like this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 14, 2020 at 8:06 pm
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:11 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
China Eastern is in skyteam.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Whoops, didn't know that China Eastern was part of SkyTeam. Must have slipped my mind. But which airlines does Qantas have partnerships with that fly into China?
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Too much competition from Mainland Chinese carriers between China and Australia - depressing yields!
Old Jan 15, 2020, 6:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Whoops, didn't know that China Eastern was part of SkyTeam. Must have slipped my mind. But which airlines does Qantas have partnerships with that fly into China?
China Southern is now a partner of AA, AY, and BA, in addition to QF. CZ's main base is CAN (Guangzhou), which is potentially useful for QF, and it's anticipated that they will ramp up PKX (Beijing Daxing) in a major way.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whoops, didn't know that China Eastern was part of SkyTeam. Must have slipped my mind.
But which airlines does Qantas have partnerships with that fly into China?
Very simple to do basic research before posting
Look at links in post 3
Old Jan 15, 2020, 2:58 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by moondog
China Southern is now a partner of AA, AY, and BA, in addition to QF. CZ's main base is CAN (Guangzhou), which is potentially useful for QF, and it's anticipated that they will ramp up PKX (Beijing Daxing) in a major way.
China Southern is a codeshare partner only, China Eastern has a greater partnership if frequent flyer benefits are taken into account

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.