Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Sydney international business lounge refurb

Old Aug 3, 19, 3:19 am
THR
Original Poster

Hard to find any updates on the business lounge refurb - whether has started, when it is due to be completed, etc.

We have a booking on CX over Christmas. Previous visits to the lounge have been pretty dire - wonder whether it will be improved by then?
Old Aug 3, 19, 3:31 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I peeked in to the SYD J lounge last week to see if they had gelato or if that is an F perk (they do) ... did not look dire at all and not looking in need of refurb....no sign of any work underway or planned. Now the MEL lounges are dire Rather ironically the J lounge was much less busy than the F lounge when I looked (I suppose SYD is full of WPs).
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 3, 19, 3:37 am
THR
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6 View Post
I peeked in to the SYD J lounge last week to see if they had gelato or if that is an F perk (they do) ... did not look dire at all and not looking in need of refurb....no sign of any work underway or planned. Now the MEL lounges are dire Rather ironically the J lounge was much less busy than the F lounge when I looked (I suppose SYD is full of WPs).
Well, the food is dire, at least. And it's a pretty awful lounge when busy. But yes, I was hoping that, alongside the refurbishment, the food options and standards improve.

Rather than a very average buffet.
Old Aug 10, 19, 12:58 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Seems to be the same with the QF Business lounge in AKL, every 12 or so months they try announce that the lounges is going to be refurb, but then 12 months later nothing has happen. (Well they did just install some new tvs last week).

The AKL lounge is badly stuck in 1999...
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 10, 19, 6:29 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by cavemanzk View Post
Seems to be the same with the QF Business lounge in AKL, every 12 or so months they try announce that the lounges is going to be refurb, but then 12 months later nothing has happen. (Well they did just install some new tvs last week).

Still way better than the other QF lounges in NZ such as WLG. Given the small presence of QF and the dropping of the MEL-AKL-LAX service (which drove the construction of both F and J lounges at AKL) it is a bit remarkable to have that good of a lounge in a low-revenue location.
Old Aug 10, 19, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Still way better than the other QF lounges in NZ such as WLG. Given the small presence of QF and the dropping of the MEL-AKL-LAX service (which drove the construction of both F and J lounges at AKL) it is a bit remarkable to have that good of a lounge in a low-revenue location.
I would not say the presence is "small" - there's a few Qantas flights that depart AKL.

Also there a reasonable number of *O departures.

E.g. Today, Qantas / oneworld have 14 flights departing between 6:20am and 6:45pm.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 10, 19, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serfty View Post
I would not say the presence is "small" - there's a few Qantas flights that depart AKL.

Also there a reasonable number of *O departures.

E.g. Today, Qantas / oneworld have 14 flights departing between 6:20am and 6:45pm.
Agreed. From a recent timetable
5 x QF AKL SYD
1x JQ AKL SYD
1x LA AKL SYD
plus MEL BNE OOL RAR by QF & JQ
and others
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 15, 19, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by cavemanzk View Post

Happy to be stuck in 1999 First section with real French Champagne than a modern one without it.
lokijuh, serfty and libertyuk like this.
Old Aug 15, 19, 4:02 pm

Programs: QF WP LTS, HHonors Diamond, VA NP
Judging by posts #4 through #8 I'm guessing no news on SYD refurbishment progress - the subject of this Thread??

Regards,

BD
Old Aug 16, 19, 12:03 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Don't believe any firm timetable has been announced.
Maybe at the results next week.
Old Aug 21, 19, 4:38 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Gold, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Povo, Golden Circle Povo
This lounge is a complete disgrace.

The food is rubbish, it is always filthy at peak times with crap all over the floor - disgusting.
levelnine and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 21, 19, 3:49 pm

The lounge is a disgrace.

And the refurb has been pushed back to 2020 or later: https://www.executivetraveller.com/q...-2020-or-later
Old Aug 21, 19, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by shillard View Post
This lounge is a complete disgrace.

The food is rubbish, it is always filthy at peak times with crap all over the floor - disgusting.
It sure is. I was in there a few weeks ago for a business meeting and I couldn't believe how crowded and dirty it was. We ended up sitting in the terminal.
Old Aug 21, 19, 8:16 pm

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Silver, QF Bronze, AF Ivory, IHG Platinum Elite, Accor Gold
I suspect unless Qantas gets the message that it is losing business to competitors with better lounges (SQ, NZ, VA et al), the pressure to do anything is more limited. QFF Golds would need to use the EK lounge in enough number for that cost to start to matter. BA choosing to offer what was once Etihad's lounge (The House) to its Club World and OW Sapphire FFs is a sign that for the price point, it thinks it can do better at SYD. The QF International Business lounges at SYD (and MEL) are inferior to most of their competitors
Old Aug 21, 19, 9:08 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
While I was SG and travelled on qualifying flights I went straight to the EK Lounge, even waited 15 minutes for it to open.
The QF International Lounge is just not worth it, in fact I would not bother if I had no EK lounge access. IMO it is that bad an offering, although kids like the ice cream bar but that is it.
Does QF really lose any passengers because of its lounge? I doubt it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: