Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

award booking help on jal for next year in business classs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2019, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Hello I have a question, and maybe need some help with a award booking. I am planning on using qantas points to book a one way to Japan. Specifically, Okayama in business class for next year in summer.

The preferred routing I would like to go is LAX-TYO-OKJ. My question though is when I tried to look up award tickets from LAX-TYO (either NRT or HND) then to OKJ, the cost was 100,000 Qantas points, but when I looked up a routing of LAX-SFO-HND-OKJ it said it would be 98,000 points. Can someone please explain to me why it costs more to go direct then have me go through SFO?

I was not able to find any LAX-TYO-OKJ routing for next year, so far. Only looking at a flight like this for next week, just to see the amount of points required.

I am new to qantas frequent flyer program, so please forgive if I don't understand something the first time.

Thank you for your help.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 6:06 am

Programs: NZ
Yes this is strange. Without knowing your dates it is not easy to replicate your dilemma. I am not seeing any J availability on JL over the next week or so.

A trip LAX/TYO/OKJ is 5982 miles and therefore theoretically, according to current QFF redemption charts for partner airlines, should cost you 104,500 points in J. If you go via SFO (on AA?) then it might be more due to the combination of carriers, but I am not sure on this one. However, there is no reason why it should be less.

If you can book it for 100,000 or 98,000 miles then it looks like you are getting a good deal.

Anyone else - am I missing something here?
Old Nov 24, 2019, 1:07 am

Programs: qantas
Interestingly I have found the same thing happen on other routes. It appears that if there is the added inconvenience of stopovers and an increase in travelling time then the route can have a point variation where it is cheaper than if more direct. I can't be sure this is the answer but I have certainly found this is the case in many incidences.

Last edited by susanne1; Nov 24, 2019 at 1:09 am Reason: grammar
Old Nov 24, 2019, 1:57 am

Programs: QF WP
Given that I just got quoted over 100000 points to update MEL-CBR from Y to J that looks like an absolute bargain either way
number_6 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.