Hold Times For Qantas Are Insane!

Old Nov 20, 19, 10:02 pm
formerly smoaky
Original Poster

Hold Times For Qantas Are Insane!

I've never experienced this with an airline.

I'm flying JFK-SYD via LAX and apparently there's no way to do a seat assignment for my PE ticket online because it's an odd itinerary with one flight number but 2 different planes. I was on hold for 1.5 hours earlier, and approaching midnight here in the US, I'm about to hang up after another 1.5 hours of wait time. When I called this second time it quoted me a wait time of 45-53 minutes (this afternoon it quoted several hours lol). Nearly double that already and I don't get the sense anyone is going to pick up soon.

What kind of operation is this? I need to get my seat assignment.
cbourl likes this.
Old Nov 20, 19, 10:05 pm

Programs: Qantas Gold
Try online chat. Normally a lot quicker
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 20, 19, 10:18 pm
formerly smoaky
Original Poster

Originally Posted by richplatt View Post
Try online chat. Normally a lot quicker
Thanks, will try that next time. Finally got through after 110 minutes. I'd evidently been given window seats, which I wanted, but was told they are not guaranteed and I could be moved. What's up with that? Is Qantas going to move me to the middle right before the flight?
cbourl likes this.
Old Nov 20, 19, 10:49 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by nycflyer17 View Post
Thanks, will try that next time. Finally got through after 110 minutes. I'd evidently been given window seats, which I wanted, but was told they are not guaranteed and I could be moved. What's up with that? Is Qantas going to move me to the middle right before the flight?
seat assignments are never guaranteed, they donít tend to move you just to be annoying but say if there is a broken seat or for example special assistance or something like that going on they reserve the right to move you
Old Nov 20, 19, 11:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nycflyer17 View Post
There are very few cases where an airline will guarantee a seat. It is unlikely that you would get moved - no different to US carriers - unlike many airlines, it is just being upfront in telling you that it isn't guaranteed.
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 21, 19, 1:32 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
QF prioritise calls based on QF status. If you have high status then your wait is minutes. Itís one of the few benefits of holding the QF card with the right colour.
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 21, 19, 1:36 am

Programs: Qantas
Originally Posted by nancypants View Post
seat assignments are never guaranteed, they don’t tend to move you just to be annoying but say if there is a broken seat or for example special assistance or something like that going on they reserve the right to move you
Yes passengers with special needs like disabilities of some kind have preference over everybody else when it comes to which seats they want - that's law in the USA. As such the airlines can't guarantee seat selections to other passengers as a special needs passenger may request that seat at the last moment.

I'm told special needs passengers can even book a seat in coach and demand to swap seats with somebody in first class and by law the airline must comply. Not sure if this is true as I think there would have been some chaotic scenes on board by now. Any lawyers here care to weigh in on this one?

Plus there are often problems with broken seats and broken entertainment units which always result in some last minute shuffling.
Old Nov 21, 19, 3:16 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ PPS, VA TCL, EK Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by og View Post
QF prioritise calls based on QF status. If you have high status then your wait is minutes. Itís one of the few benefits of holding the QF card with the right colour.
It's still unacceptable. I'm CL and have waited >20mins twice in the last two weeks. I was previously CLP1. Same.
Tell me.. what colour card do you actually need to speak to someone quickly??
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 21, 19, 3:38 am

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
I am platinum and itís always 20 min , so plat does not get quick phone lines

i am also united 1K and you never wait more than 60sec
cbourl likes this.
Old Nov 21, 19, 4:09 am

Programs: Qantas Gold FF
Try DMing them on Twitter. I have always found them to be incredibly helpful, even with complex enquiries. The response is not instant but at least you can do other things while you wait for a reply!
Old Nov 21, 19, 4:51 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
I called Qantas last month to get some classic award pricing quotes that the website wouldnít do and the wait time was five hours so I hung up and gave up.
cbourl likes this.
Old Nov 21, 19, 7:47 pm

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Talking

Originally Posted by og View Post
QF prioritise calls based on QF status. If you have high status then your wait is minutes. It’s one of the few benefits of holding the QF card with the right colour.
So Silver Means a 1.5 hour wait? Bit different from UA VA QR LH LX eyc Is this like the 20 hour flight from SYD-JFK??? Worlds longest flight = worlds longest call centre wait - and BTW QF chat is USELESS! Spoke with a person in Tasmanian call centre after the move from MELBS and they agreed wait is APPAULING!

Last edited by cbourl; Nov 21, 19 at 7:52 pm Reason: Addition
Old Nov 21, 19, 7:54 pm

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet View Post
I am platinum and itís always 20 min , so plat does not get quick phone lines

i am also united 1K and you never wait more than 60sec
LX Senator Line = Instant Answer 24/7 UA 1K = always small delay between automated system recognizing your number or voice and getting a 1K Rep
Old Nov 21, 19, 8:47 pm

Haven't waited for more then 3 minutes and most are instant answer with 5 calls made in the past couple of days. I'm only Platinum too.
nancypants and og like this.
Old Nov 22, 19, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by cbourl View Post
...they agreed wait is APPAULING!
Speaking of things that are "appauling"...
nancypants and og like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: