Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best route USA-SYD in J

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:07 am

Programs: QF WP
They were flying 744s to HNL on behalf of jetstar at one point, not sure if that’s still a thing?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
No I don’t have EF.

Google tells me that HNL is 744 5 days a week until August 28.

Sorry for my my intrusion into the thread.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:39 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
Google tells me that HNL is 744 5 days a week until August 28.

Sorry for my my intrusion into the thread.
... and QF.com was telling me it was an A332 for random dates in November, when the OP is looking to travel - otherwise I wouldn't have made the suggestion.

Of course equipment swaps are always possible.

Regards,

BD
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:53 pm

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
November 2019 will be tough, but I snagged a PDX-SFO-SYD in J with AS miles a few months ago. Travel is March 2020.
SFO-SYD is on 787 by then (if not already).
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: Qantas
Originally Posted by BD1959
Left field ...

QF A332 J from HNL - maybe AS F/J SEA-HNL?

Can't imagine the lounge is anything like LAX but you get the better J product over the A380/B747 out of SFO/LAX.

Regards,

BD
The QF lounge at HNL is probably the worst international QF lounge in the network. And I’m including AKL.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 7:39 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by justinbrett
The QF lounge at HNL is probably the worst international QF lounge in the network. And I’m including AKL.
While not strictly a QF Lounge, I'll bet it's not as bad as that used by QF at MNL .... ??

Regards,

BD
Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:28 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I only have two data points on the route, but I was thoroughly unimpressed with the DFW-SYD service. The FA were AWOL for 80% of the flight. Even if you ring your call button, they don't come. I walked around the cabin and couldn't find anyone. On the return I rang the call button 3-4 times and finally someone showed up. I asked for one of the menu 'snack' items, and got the reply 'Are you sure? We have the next meal service in 20 minutes'. Yes, I was sure, please take my order. And the meal service came 2 hours later. This is a choice route for FA with seniority, and in my experiences they just don't care at all. I only saw the FA during meal service, with the exception of my call button fiasco. It's probably the two worst J service experiences of my life.

I had absolutely stellar service in J on the LAX-MEL 787 route. It's a shame QF is so inconsistent.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Jul 15, 2019 at 5:34 am
Old Jul 16, 2019, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I only have two data points on the route, but I was thoroughly unimpressed with the DFW-SYD service. The FA were AWOL for 80% of the flight. Even if you ring your call button, they don't come. I walked around the cabin and couldn't find anyone. On the return I rang the call button 3-4 times and finally someone showed up. I asked for one of the menu 'snack' items, and got the reply 'Are you sure? We have the next meal service in 20 minutes'. Yes, I was sure, please take my order. And the meal service came 2 hours later. This is a choice route for FA with seniority, and in my experiences they just don't care at all. I only saw the FA during meal service, with the exception of my call button fiasco. It's probably the two worst J service experiences of my life.

I had absolutely stellar service in J on the LAX-MEL 787 route. It's a shame QF is so inconsistent.
For consistency, try QF SYD-SFO on the 744. It's consistently poor. Last time I took it, I was woken up somewhere over Fiji for breakfast and told I could go back to sleep after I'd eaten.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I still prefer the A380 and I still prefer the current J seat over the new 789 seat (too much of body is under the armrest.) Likely fly out of LAX. The A380 has the little 5 person lounge in the front for J passengers. I have flown the 789 segment from LAX-JFK (both ways) and the A380 is more spacious for J.
Go with A380.

Agree though - QF food service has dropped (but AA isn't great either and CX has cut back too).

Also many times the A380 J lounge is empty and it is awesome to be in there and look down the stairs to the lower level and realized that you are the only person on the plane in about a 12 foot front section of the aircraft - both levels - with 500 people hidden behind you.

Last edited by cova; Jul 17, 2019 at 7:39 pm
Old Jul 19, 2019, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by number_6
The B787 J product is markedly better for the hard product. Soft product has been better on A380 for various reasons. Lounge at LAX is way better than SFO or DFW, also chance of delays due to disruption is a lot less (if that matters for your schedule).
DFW now has a AA Flagship lounge which may now be better than the QF business lounge at LA. But DFW is a big (and long) backtrack from Seattle so I wold not bother with that option

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.