Search

Best route USA-SYD in J

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:23 pm
_fx
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Best route USA-SYD in J

Looking to book SEA-SYD in J in November. Since QF doesn't fly direct to SEA, it looks like I have SFO, LAX, and DFW available as connection options.

Any suggestions on which routing would provide the best experience?

Thanks in advance. And apologies if there is already a thread on this, I did search but could only find topics on PE.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: QF WP
SFO is currently a 747 route, I believe may be changing to a 787 at some point. DFW/LAX are both a380. The a380s are in the process of being refitted but slowly so realistically it will most likely be the same product on all 3 (mark 2 Skybed). These are lie flats but a percentage of seats reputedly have a structural failing resulting in a droop to the legs when laid flat. The 787 has a different product

since you have to make a 1 stop anyway, unless you’re tied to QF, within oneworld you could consider JL SEA-NRT-SYD or CX SEA-HKG-SYD. Or do something really weird like EK SEA-DXB-SYD (can probably be booked as a QF codeshare but not my field of expertise), . Also American has a pretty competitive (IMO) product LAX-SYD
shillard likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by _fx
Looking to book SEA-SYD in J in November. Since QF doesn't fly direct to SEA, it looks like I have SFO, LAX, and DFW available as connection options.

Any suggestions on which routing would provide the best experience?

Thanks in advance. And apologies if there is already a thread on this, I did search but could only find topics on PE.
What is your criteria for best?
Why QF? What not UA, AA, VA or DL? From SEA via Asia is a possible option. QF also fly USA to BNE & MEL.
For J class QF is not best seating, from reports on FT.
Some QF routes will be on the A380 (droopy J seats), newish B787 or an old B747. The last B747 Au USA flight is 3 Dec 2019 from this link
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:39 pm
_fx
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I am (probably) tied to QF because on the return my wife is joining me on a QF award ticket. I assume two one-ways will be cost inefficient. Also, I want to credit the flight to AS.

How much better is the 787? Worth a stop in BNE or MEL?

Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by _fx
Thanks for the info. I am (probably) tied to QF because on the return my wife is joining me on a QF award ticket. I assume two one-ways will be cost inefficient. Also, I want to credit the flight to AS.

How much better is the 787? Worth a stop in BNE or MEL?
Has you wife got the QF award flight now? Or to be obtained? Is this with QF ff points or an award on QF with ff miles from another ffp?

AA international flights credit to AS ffp.

One way cash prices can be very high. More than half a return. Just need to do the research. That "two one-ways will be cost inefficient" is a brave assumption.
The flight for which your wife has(will?) the award may not be the best flight to buy a ticket for cash.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 8, 2019 at 2:56 pm
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:56 pm
_fx
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Has you wife got the QF award bucket now? Or to be obtained? Is this with QF ff points or an award on QF with ff miles from another ffp?

AA international flights credit to AS ffp.

One way cash prices can be very high. More than half a return. Just need to do the research. That "two one-ways will be cost inefficient" is a brave assumption.
The flight for which your wife has(will?) the award may not be the best flight to buy a ticket for cash.
I do know two one-ways can be expensive, that’s what I meant by “cost inefficient” and why I probably have to stick to QF. I’ve already booked the wife’s award tickets on QF using AS miles. My understanding is these awards are rare finds, so I jumped on them when I saw them.

I’m flying for work, so I have more flexibility on price (but not infinitely so...double the cost probably won’t fly. Thus why a one-way on another airline is probably out of the question).
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:44 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The B787 J product is markedly better for the hard product. Soft product has been better on A380 for various reasons. Lounge at LAX is way better than SFO or DFW, also chance of delays due to disruption is a lot less (if that matters for your schedule).
deeruck likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 4:59 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
I'm a big fan of the AA service on this route (in J).

Infinitely superior to the AA domestic service - some of the flight attendants were even born after the 19th Century.

Much better catering than QF, really good service for the price.
nancypants and shuuy like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Left field ...

QF A332 J from HNL - maybe AS F/J SEA-HNL?

Can't imagine the lounge is anything like LAX but you get the better J product over the A380/B747 out of SFO/LAX.

Regards,

BD
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 4:54 pm
_fx
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input. SEA-HNL-SYD is an interesting idea. Would require an overnight, but maybe a day in Hawaii is not a bad thing :-). If I went the LAX route, Looks like AA outbound, QF return is also possible. Will look into that.

Fortunately the return is MEL-LAX, which has the 787.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:02 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by BD1959
Left field ...
QF A332 J from HNL ...
Is the risk of getting a pre-upgrade J config gone now? QF used to use non-flat bed equipment on this route (as it is leisure rather than business route) but maybe all planes are upgraded by now? The lounge in HNL is pitiful, you are better off in the terminal Not sure you can presume same service quality as from LAX/SFO/DFW on QF. And beware of QF codeshares on JQ
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by shillard
I'm a big fan of the AA service on this route (in J).

Infinitely superior to the AA domestic service - some of the flight attendants were even born after the 19th Century.
Me too. A seat that works an simple but plentiful food without the pretence of fine dining. Their transcon service LAX-BOS/JFK/MIA is as good as the service to SYD. Even better, I'm often connecting from Central America through MIA, and the aircraft that does the MIA-LAX flight continues on to SYD, so no chance of missing my connection.
shuuy and shillard like this.

Last edited by bensyd; Jul 9, 2019 at 7:53 pm
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:21 am

Programs: QF PS and spouse of QP Senior Lifer PS, UA, AA, DL, AS, AV
Originally Posted by number_6
Is the risk of getting a pre-upgrade J config gone now? QF used to use non-flat bed equipment on this route (as it is leisure rather than business route) but maybe all planes are upgraded by now? The lounge in HNL is pitiful, you are better off in the terminal Not sure you can presume same service quality as from LAX/SFO/DFW on QF. And beware of QF codeshares on JQ
The lounge in HNL is certainly very small, but it has a pleasant garden outlook and the lounge dragon is friendly.

If you aren't in a hurry there are worse punishments than an overnight in HNL.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:56 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
I thought QF was flying 744 to HNL? Are they still running them in November?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:16 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
I thought QF was flying 744 to HNL? Are they still running them in November?
Have you got EF access? The 2 dates I checked in November showed 332.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.