Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Fly Qantas to AKL and then transfer to CX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: MPC CXGO, IHG RA

Not sure if this is the best place to post this thread. (feel free to move to Air NZ or any other forums, I decided to post it here since I'll be flying with QF)

So I will be flying to AKL with QF SYD-MEL-AKL, and then fly to Hong Kong with CX (separate ticket)

I am an Australian PR and my passport is not issued from visa waiver country

Checking the NZ Government website it says
  • If you’re from a visa waiver country or a transit visa waiver country and you meet our character requirements, you don’t need to apply for a transit visa.
So it didn't mention anything about Australian PR
But Air NZ website says
  • Australia - or must be holders of a valid re-entry permit ("Resident return visa") issued by Australia and permitting unrestricted indefinite residence in Australia
So I'm super confused if I should apply for a transit visa or not, so not sure if any of you had any previous experiences.
(I'm thinking if I do need a transit visa, can I just clear the immigration and go back to the air side again since I can actually entre NZ using my PR visa)?

Thank you
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:36 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
You can check at https://www.emirates.com/english/bef...uirements.aspx which is the last remaining free web tool for checking visa requirements, allowing you to specify passport country, residency, destination and transit country .... so perfect for your requirements. Timatic is used by most airlines at check-in so it is the definitive source but can no longer be used for free (was removed a year or so ago, now requires a subscription; I think Emirates goes through Timatic but not sure). Airlines will deny boarding if Timatic shows a requirement that you don't meet, such as passport validity period.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
Australian PRs are granted resident visa on landing in NZ.

You do not need a visa to enter NZ if you hold Australian PR with valid travel facility
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
You can check at https://www.emirates.com/english/bef...uirements.aspx which is the last remaining free web tool for checking visa requirements, allowing you to specify passport country, residency, destination and transit country .... so perfect for your requirements. Timatic is used by most airlines at check-in so it is the definitive source but can no longer be used for free (was removed a year or so ago, now requires a subscription; I think Emirates goes through Timatic but not sure). Airlines will deny boarding if Timatic shows a requirement that you don't meet, such as passport validity period.
Thanks. I just checked the emirates website. It says transit visa is required with exemption for passengers holding Australian resident return visa. So I think according to the website I should be safe. But the problem is that such rule is not listed on the NZ government web page... Should I actually contact them to find out?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by rays

Thanks. I just checked the emirates website. It says transit visa is required with exemption for passengers holding Australian resident return visa. So I think according to the website I should be safe. But the problem is that such rule is not listed on the NZ government web page... Should I actually contact them to find out?
This is the page you're looking for...

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/know...-question-1068

Assuming you've got Australia PR then you're all good.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure if this is the best place to post this thread.
feel free to move to Air NZ or any other forums, I decided to post it here since I'll be flying with QF)

So I will be flying to AKL with QF SYD-MEL-AKL, and then fly to Hong Kong with CX (separate ticket)
An unusual route SYD-MEL-AKL and AKL-HKG, as CX/QF fly SYD HKG.

As far QF is concerned you are going to NZ. QF will do a document check on check-in to determine admission eligibility to NZ. They may or may not accept the AKL HKG ticket as proof you are not formally entering NZ if trying to stay airside.

QF will not interline checked baggage on separate PNR's. There is an exception for awards, but that is not clear if only for QF awards or awards by other ffp's.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Not sure if this is the best place to post this thread. (feel free to move to Air NZ or any other forums, I decided to post it here since I'll be flying with QF) ...
Notwistanding that you do not need a visa, how long are you in AKL for and will you have checked luggage?

If for only a few hours and no checked luggage you might not even need to go landside - simply use the airside transit facility along with CX OLCI.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: QF WP
Piece of cake

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-resident-visa

the first time I did it I carried a printed out copy of my Australian visa, which came in handy as the computers in immigration nz were down that day
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:09 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] As this is about what QF will do I will leave the thread here for the time being but might move to the Oceania forum at a later time. [/mod hat]

To the OP: If things have not changed, NZ immigration will stamp a NZ residency visa in your passport when you arrive which allows you to remain in New Zealand indefinitely. Note, the visa expires the moment you leave NZ so it is not a NZ permanent residency.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:05 pm

You do not need to apply for a transit visa. Simply check "yes" to the question in section 7 of the New Zealand Passenger Arrival Card about whether you hold an Australian passport, Australian Permanent Residence Visa or Australian Resident Return Visa.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. I was wondering if I need a transit visa since I will only be transiting through Auckland and the government webpage didn't say anything about Australian PR.

But since QF will not check bags through to HKG, I guess I probably have to go to landside and then immediately go back to the air side again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.