Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF KLM code shares cementing move from DXB to SIN

Old Oct 23, 18, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP LTG,OW Emerald

It seems that QF is firming up its Singapore hub. I don't think this can be a bad thing.

QANTAS AND KLM TO BRING AUSTRALIA AND AMSTERDAM CLOSER TOGETHER

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/me...oser-together/
Old Oct 23, 18, 7:04 pm

Programs: Qantas Gold (OWS), BA Bronze (OWR), Virgin Australia Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Qantas really seems to be concentrating on building strong partnerships with non-OneWorld airlines (eg. KLM, Air NZ and Emirates)
Old Oct 23, 18, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP LTG,OW Emerald
The OW question is valid. But they just announced a codeshare deal with CX. I am not sure what OW airline would help ex SIN.
Maybe more than a lead up to a OW exit its an alliance agnostic disposition.
Old Oct 23, 18, 7:21 pm
Suspended

Why would it need to create partnerships with OW airlines, ties are already there due to the alliance ; it is outside the alliance that seems to make more sense

Alternatively, rather than being a virtual airline, it could always look at serving cities itself
Old Oct 23, 18, 7:50 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
The KLM move is a natural follow up to the recently announced resurrection of codesharing arrangements with AF following the move of QF 1/2 back to SIN. QF and AF codeshared for quite some time before QF moved to DXB.
Old Oct 23, 18, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Revenge View Post
Qantas really seems to be concentrating on building strong partnerships with non-OneWorld airlines (eg. KLM, Air NZ and Emirates)
To me it looks like QF reducing the EK partnership, as KLM/AF destinations are in addition to EK (with the same destinations).

NZ partnership is to attack VA following the NZ VA divorce. Many many decades ago Qantas part owned TEAL-Air NZ. The QF NZ partnership is not new.
Revenge likes this.
Old Oct 24, 18, 5:03 pm

Programs: QP Life, AA Nothing, QF Bronze
Originally Posted by Lucky_man View Post
Maybe more than a lead up to a OW exit its an alliance agnostic disposition.
I wonder whether they will opt for a hard Owexit or a soft Owexit. As long as we donít end up with a no-deal Owexit, where QF will need to follow OW rules but will not have any input to them.
Revenge likes this.
Old Oct 24, 18, 5:22 pm
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Are fares to Amsterdam the same regardless of flying via DXB or SIN?
Old Oct 24, 18, 5:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Alan in CBR View Post

I wonder whether they will opt for a hard Owexit or a soft Owexit. As long as we donít end up with a no-deal Owexit, where QF will need to follow OW rules but will not have any input to them.
a no deal exit would simply put QF in position as any other non member of OW
Revenge likes this.
Old Oct 24, 18, 8:23 pm

Programs: Qantas FF Platinum, United Premier 1K, HSBC Premier
I don't think this should be taken as an indication Qantas wants to leave Oneworld. Oneworld's coverage in continental Europe is lacking compared to Sky Team (and Star Alliance for that matter) and Qantas is just looking to plug the gaps in its long haul destinations. Emirates never really made much sense as a codeshare partner because Emirates runs on the same model as Qantas internationally - e.g. regular long haul flights between a select set of hubs. Emirates could expand Qantas' long haul network reach was never going to be much use with getting Qantas passengers to non-hub destinations in europe. This is where AF and KLM come in. Qantas will be able to streamline its own routing while also offering better coverage to/from continental europe. AF and KLM will basically fill in the significant gaps left in European coverage by Iberia, BA and Finnair.
moa999 likes this.
Old Oct 24, 18, 8:47 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by warreng View Post
I Qantas will be able to streamline its own routing while also offering better coverage to/from continental europe. AF and KLM will basically fill in the significant gaps left in European coverage by Iberia, BA and Finnair.
But it's only codesharing on the SIN-CDG/AMS services at the moment. I see it far less about intra-Europe traffic as it is about more backsides on seats to fill the ample capacity that now exists between SIN & Australia, and vice versa for AF & KL. But it could be a precursor to more non-stops to Europe, although can't see AMS as a strong candidate for such a service (surely CDG and FRA would be the favourites for that).
Old Oct 24, 18, 9:39 pm
Suspended

IEmirates never really made much sense as a codeshare partner because Emirates runs on the same model as Qantas internationally - e.g. regular long haul flights between a select set of hubs.
I disagree there about Emirates. Emirates serves lots of destinations in Europe non-stop from Dubai. Also Dubai is in Asia rather than Western Europe , so there is also no backtracking. Go with AF/KL and it is 1 stop for Amsterdam in Western Europe but then backtracking to get to most other places in Europe. Who would want to fly SYD-SIN-AMS-ATH for example ? Qantas is already flying to an airport just 231 miles from Amsterdam at an airport that has an airline offering services to a fair number of European destinations

Emirates seems like a much more useful fit for those wanting somewhere other than Amsterdam or London as a destination
Old Oct 25, 18, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by lokijuh View Post
I see it far less about intra-Europe traffic as it is about more backsides on seats to fill the ample capacity that now exists between SIN & Australia, and vice versa for AF & KL.
In addition, it means that QF customers can fly SYD-AMS one-stop partly on QF metal, whereas at the moment they can only do that on EK metal. And QF will get now some of the revenue from KL customers who want to do similarly.
Old Oct 25, 18, 5:31 pm

Programs: QP Life, AA Nothing, QF Bronze
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
a no deal exit would simply put QF in position as any other non member of OW
it was a joke, Dave. Not a good one, but a joke.
Old Oct 29, 18, 9:34 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Silver, MR Lifetime Gold
I don't think this should be taken as an indication Qantas wants to leave Oneworld. Oneworld's coverage in continental Europe is lacking compared to Sky Team (and Star Alliance for that matter) and Qantas is just looking to plug the gaps in its long haul destinations.
I think you're forgetting QR - they are OneWorld and have significant coverage of Europe.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
I disagree there about Emirates. Emirates serves lots of destinations in Europe non-stop from Dubai. Also Dubai is in Asia rather than Western Europe , so there is also no backtracking. Go with AF/KL and it is 1 stop for Amsterdam in Western Europe but then backtracking to get to most other places in Europe. Who would want to fly SYD-SIN-AMS-ATH for example? Qantas is already flying to an airport just 231 miles from Amsterdam at an airport that has an airline offering services to a fair number of European destinations

Emirates seems like a much more useful fit for those wanting somewhere other than Amsterdam or London as a destination
+1 For pax originating in Australia, flying to a European destination via one hub (DXB/SIN/DOH) is key. No way would I want to tag segment onto that, no matter how short it is. For SkyTeam, the QF code share is huge because they hardly had an options to fly from Europe to Australia.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: