Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas international check-in times - outports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2018, 4:07 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member

Sorry if answered earlier, I did make an honest attempt to look up the answer here and at AFF as well.

What is the check-in cut-off times at outports for no-status Economy pax please?

For Australian airports, it's very clear (at least officially): 90 minutes https://www.qantas.com/hk/en/travel-info/check-in.html

Is this the same for outports?
I was at ZQN yesterday
Economy check-in agent: 90 minutes (we were over 95 minutes so no drama)
However, when I asked the Business check-in desk 10 minutes later what is the OLCI bag drop cut-off, I was told "there is no separate check-in time for online check-in, but check-in closes at twenty to three (scheduled departure time for QF122 yesterday: 15:35)". So that's 55 minutes
She then put her money where her mouth is by proceeding to process bag-drop for two OLCI non-status (judging by their lack of tags and cards) Economy (they headed to the Economy queue at first, which was already closed) at 85 minutes to departure.

QF.com says look at airport guide. But airport guide does not state out check-in cut-off (c.f. CX.com which does spell out cut-off for each outport). So what is correct?
Just curious is there anything better than to apply the 90 minute rule everywhere, thanks in advance.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 4:43 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
It varies by airport (which makes sense as they have to get bags loaded and pax manifest processed). QF seems to have systematically removed this info (checkin cutoff time) from the international airport guides, probably to prevent arguments when the times change outside of QF control. I think you are only safe to expect 90 min as cut-off for economy and 60 min for F/J. Small airports like ZQN can be quite different from LAX or LHR for example.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
But pax who have OLCIed have checked in. That might be considered different to passengers who not checked in (at least in terms of preparing the paperwork for the flight). Can understand the difference in check-in times vs bag drop times.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
But pax who have OLCIed have checked in. That might be considered different to passengers who not checked in (at least in terms of preparing the paperwork for the flight). Can understand the difference in check-in times vs bag drop times.
I thought so too but the ZQN Business counter check-in said no
Old Jul 4, 2018, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
It varies by airport (which makes sense as they have to get bags loaded and pax manifest processed).
That's fine, publish each airport's cut-off like CX.com?

Originally Posted by number_6
QF seems to have systematically removed this info (checkin cutoff time) from the international airport guides,
I dug around historical airport guides in archive.org but don't seem to find it

They used to have explicit 60 min cut-off for all outports https://web.archive.org/web/20140113...imes/global/en
Old Jul 6, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by percysmith
QF.com says look at airport guide. But airport guide does not state out check-in cut-off (c.f. CX.com which does spell out cut-off for each outport). So what is correct?
Just curious is there anything better than to apply the 90 minute rule everywhere, thanks in advance.
I know for NZ (At New Zealand Airports) its 30minutes for Domestic and 60minutes for International (ex-USA Flights)
Old Jun 30, 2019, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by percysmith
So that's 55 minutes
She then put her money where her mouth is by proceeding to process bag-drop for two OLCI non-status (judging by their lack of tags and cards) Economy (they headed to the Economy queue at first, which was already closed) at 85 minutes to departure.
Back at ZQN again. This time I was referred to supervisor, who appears to be the only real QF staffer at the check in: 45 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.