Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it really all worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2018, 9:41 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The extra baggage allowance for QF Platinum can be worth thousands of dollars in waived excess baggage charges if you do use it. I have saved over $10,000 from that benefit over the years, even though it is used maybe 1% of the time. That's probably the only quantifiable advantage of making WP if you fly paid J all the time. While QF J tends to be premium priced, it tends to be better than most alternative J services (varies by route) and price can be reasonable with sales or creative routings. But QF does very effective yield management which maximizes revenue.. .
Thekman likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 12:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by duchanhld
Free flights
There are much better schemes for earning free flights - even then - using an airline because of an FF programme I view as a tail wagging the dog - FF points can make a nice benefit of taking a flight, but don't let points override quality, price and schedule
Thekman likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 5:02 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Its easy to select the best flights at the best price in your preferred cabin on your preferred airline if you have the security of life status so you can get “free” status benefits as a fall back if class of service doesn’t measure up. So, status chasing can have tremendous benefits for many. But after getting to the “life status” goal, the airlines need to work to keep that loyalty.
lokijuh likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Originally Posted by og
. But after getting to the “life status” goal, the airlines need to work to keep that loyalty.
lifetime emerald is something they could consider introducing but practically speaking if you fly THAT much (either for work or pleasure) you most likely belong to social echlon where you have sufficient disposable income so selection of best premium fare regardless of alliance might start to factor in.

OW has only been around for 20 odd years and lot can change In landscape of alliance by the time you attain it who knows how valuable it is.
Thekman likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 6:32 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by fakecd
OW has only been around for 20 odd years and lot can change In landscape of alliance by the time you attain it who knows how valuable it is.
QF WP (and above) status is more valuable IMHO in QF than other OW carriers but it also gives handy benefits in EK which is not part of OW. But yes, alliances can change and I’d speculate QF has already considered whether ir not it should continue with OW.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 6:33 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
We only fly F internationally where it's served, on QF, EY, EK and BA.

I have several family members who are WP and I have this same conversation every year. The primary benefit of a F flyer maintaining WP is the ability to have award seats released on request which is incredibly valuable. Of course there are the extra points, preferred seating etc etc but you need to weight up if the cost to maintain status is worth it over the benefits gained via Class of Service.
Thekman likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Qantas Platinum One and LTG
Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
row 4 on 73H’s domestically.
Rows 4 and 5 on QF domestic 737 services are reserved for Platinum One and Chairmans Lounge until T-80.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
We only fly F internationally where it's served, on QF, EY, EK and BA.

I have several family members who are WP and I have this same conversation every year. The primary benefit of a F flyer maintaining WP is the ability to have award seats released on request which is incredibly valuable. Of course there are the extra points, preferred seating etc etc but you need to weight up if the cost to maintain status is worth it over the benefits gained via Class of Service.
I wouldn't class that as a great benefit ; I would rather credit to a scheme where the miles have a better value even if there is no award seats to be released. That is also a benefit that I only ever tried to use once when I held Platinum status - 392,000 points plus taxes and fees disguised as taxes for a r/t 1st class award to Europe is hardly great value in FF schemes

The only time when travelling business where I have seen a benefit from status is on a v rare time when booking on BA due to it charging for seat selection unless booking in J or C

If booking based on quality/schedule rather than slavish adherence to a FF scheme, will still be able to earn points and status - just may be on different schemes.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:09 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I wouldn't class that as a great benefit ; I would rather credit to a scheme where the miles have a better value even if there is no award seats to be released. That is also a benefit that I only ever tried to use once when I held Platinum status - 392,000 points plus taxes and fees disguised as taxes for a r/t 1st class award to Europe is hardly great value in FF schemes

The only time when travelling business where I have seen a benefit from status is on a v rare time when booking on BA due to it charging for seat selection unless booking in J or C

If booking based on quality/schedule rather than slavish adherence to a FF scheme, will still be able to earn points and status - just may be on different schemes.
We use it all the time. I'm an avid buyer and burner of AA miles and we also use EY miles. AMEX Platinum Charge is very helpful for the purchase of MR points that can be converted to QF or EY.

Most of our earning through non flight spend is QF, therefore the ability to release seats is a stand out advantage for us.

Much more than Row 1 seating on QFLink as a member of my family convinced me was the reason to retain WP!
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:46 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by number_6
While QF J tends to be premium priced, it tends to be better than most alternative J services (varies by route) .
Aaaah, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. On, for example, my main route MEL-SIN, ignoring the premium Y type products of the LCCs on the route, I would not want to pay a cent more for QF compared to its competitors on the route (EK A380, SQ). And even some of the cheaper competitors heading to Asia and beyond do have reasonable quality J products. Looking towards North America (from AU) QF did always have the edge, but I'm not so sure these days, all of the 6 carriers flying Australia-North America continent have reasonable product (at least in J, I'd still probably tend to QF - or VA - in Y).
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
We use it all the time. I'm an avid buyer and burner of AA miles and we also use EY miles. AMEX Platinum Charge is very helpful for the purchase of MR points that can be converted to QF or EY.
!
They can also be filtered to AA at a rate of 1 MR point = 0.625 AA points
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:23 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
They can also be filtered to AA at a rate of 1 MR point = 0.625 AA points
Great to know, thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.