Is it really all worth it?

Old Apr 13, 2018, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Is it really all worth it?

I am a Gold QF FF member very soon to be a Platinum member, and I'm starting to wonder if it's such a big deal.
My circumstances are that I always travel self funded Business Class, mostly overseas. As I travel Business Class what real additional benefits to I get being whatever Tier level I am at that particular point in time? Some of the benefits are flight upgrades, but I'm already flying Business Class and the opportunity to upgrade to First doesn't exist that often any more. The most profound benefit to me seems to be the increased rate of earning of Status Points to get oneself to Gold/Platinum again.
Am I missing something?
davidj1 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 1:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Not really. Some people feel better about themselves when they have shiny cards in their wallet!
davidj1, Thekman and Shamrock55 like this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Thekman
I Am I missing something?
If flying only in Business Class, where you by and large get priority checkin, boarding, lounge access etc, the benefits of loyalty programs are indeed limited. If flying economy a lot, it can make the journey more palatable.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Free flights?
Old Apr 13, 2018, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Free flights?
Urggg!!
Are you familiar with the QF freq flyer carrier surcharges (plus regulatory taxes/fees) on QF awards?

If flying paid business class I would not be crediting to the QF ffp.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 3:00 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Access to F lounges in SYD and MEL, Domestic J lounges domestically if you fly Y domestically.

Access to OWE lounges like CX Pier F in HKG etc.
Higher priority as OWE on some other OW carriers for an upgrade to F where it may well be worth it depending your travel patterns e.g CX F or JL F, QR F

Last edited by JClasstraveller; Apr 16, 2018 at 2:54 am
Old Apr 13, 2018, 4:09 am

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
The most profound benefit to me seems to be the increased rate of earning of Status Points to get oneself to Gold/Platinum again
The SC earn is the same regardless of your status. It is dependent only on booking/operating carrier combo, fare code and distance (and occasional promotions such as DSC).

The benefit of having status is that it takes less SC earn to requalify at that same status.

Frequent Flyer Points, on the other hand, do have an increased rate of earning for higher status.
Thekman likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Am I missing something?
If I understand correctly, you're flying anyway, and you're flying anyway in the cabins that you fly. So the frequent flyer benefits will come from money that you're going to spend in any event.

If that's right, then "it" is costing you nothing - so surely the answer is yes, it is worth it?

The balance might be different if you were considering whether to direct your frequent flyer earning to one scheme rather than another, or if your spending patterns might change depending on whether or not the frequent flyer benefits were genuinely valuable to you.
eminere likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I am a Gold QF FF member very soon to be a Platinum member, and I'm starting to wonder if it's such a big deal.
My circumstances are that I always travel self funded Business Class, mostly overseas. As I travel Business Class what real additional benefits to I get being whatever Tier level I am at that particular point in time? Some of the benefits are flight upgrades, but I'm already flying Business Class and the opportunity to upgrade to First doesn't exist that often any more. The most profound benefit to me seems to be the increased rate of earning of Status Points to get oneself to Gold/Platinum again.
Am I missing something?

First class lounges are a huge step up from biz class lounges in most ports, and that's the real advantage. Plus perhaps slightly higher baggage priority.

But if lounges aren't such a big deal, consider maintaining QF gold at the minimum level if you need it for domestic travel, then shop around for the best deal of the day for your international travel. You can often get two biz class tickets to Europe or the USA on other airlines for the price of one on Qantas. That may suit your travel budget if you are with family.
Thekman and eminere like this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lokijuh
If flying only in Business Class, where you by and large get priority checkin, boarding, lounge access etc, the benefits of loyalty programs are indeed limited. {Snip}
I'm starting to come around to that way of thinking. Thanks.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 5:19 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by lokijuh
If flying only in Business Class, where you by and large get priority checkin, boarding, lounge access etc, the benefits of loyalty programs are indeed limited. If flying economy a lot, it can make the journey more palatable.
And the Biz pax are exactly the ones that airlines need to keep locked away as exclusively theirs. The last thing they want is for the Biz pax to sample the delights of the competition.
Thekman likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
Access to F lounges in SYD and MEL, Domestic J lounges domestically if you fly Y domestically, row 4 on 73H’s domestically.
On domestic flights rows 4 and 5 are always blocked for me until ~T-80.

Row 4 is available from time of booking for trans-Tasman and other international flights operated by the B738.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 5:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm starting to come around to that way of thinking. Thanks.
complete the journey to that way of thinking - you will then find yourself booking based on quality and timings and have a better travel experience
Thekman likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by og

And the Biz pax are exactly the ones that airlines need to keep locked away as exclusively theirs. The last thing they want is for the Biz pax to sample the delights of the competition.
Which is exactly what I will be doing from now on. Sort of like voters in swing seats getting more from politicians than others.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
complete the journey to that way of thinking - you will then find yourself booking based on quality and timings and have a better travel experience
Good advice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.