Is it really all worth it?

Old Apr 13, 18, 1:38 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 91
Is it really all worth it?

I am a Gold QF FF member very soon to be a Platinum member, and I'm starting to wonder if it's such a big deal.
My circumstances are that I always travel self funded Business Class, mostly overseas. As I travel Business Class what real additional benefits to I get being whatever Tier level I am at that particular point in time? Some of the benefits are flight upgrades, but I'm already flying Business Class and the opportunity to upgrade to First doesn't exist that often any more. The most profound benefit to me seems to be the increased rate of earning of Status Points to get oneself to Gold/Platinum again.
Am I missing something?
davidj1 likes this.
Thekman is offline  
Old Apr 13, 18, 1:43 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, SW Florida, and Toronto
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Posts: 29,295
Not really. Some people feel better about themselves when they have shiny cards in their wallet!
davidj1, Thekman and Shamrock55 like this.
LondonElite is offline  
Old Apr 13, 18, 2:19 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Singapore
Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Posts: 4,388
Originally Posted by Thekman View Post
I Am I missing something?
If flying only in Business Class, where you by and large get priority checkin, boarding, lounge access etc, the benefits of loyalty programs are indeed limited. If flying economy a lot, it can make the journey more palatable.
lokijuh is offline  
Old Apr 13, 18, 2:34 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: BOS/UTH
Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Posts: 12,600
Free flights?
Dr. HFH is offline  
Old Apr 13, 18, 2:49 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 17,058
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
Free flights?
Urggg!!
Are you familiar with the QF freq flyer carrier surcharges (plus regulatory taxes/fees) on QF awards?

If flying paid business class I would not be crediting to the QF ffp.
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Apr 13, 18, 3:00 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SYD, Australia
Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Posts: 728
Access to F lounges in SYD and MEL, Domestic J lounges domestically if you fly Y domestically.

Access to OWE lounges like CX Pier F in HKG etc.
Higher priority as OWE on some other OW carriers for an upgrade to F where it may well be worth it depending your travel patterns e.g CX F or JL F, QR F

Last edited by JClasstraveller; Apr 16, 18 at 2:54 am
JClasstraveller is offline  
Old Apr 13, 18, 4:09 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: SYD
Programs: QFWP/LTG, VAWP, NZ*G, OZD, NH*G, Marriott Plat, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Posts: 1,420
Originally Posted by Thekman View Post
The most profound benefit to me seems to be the increased rate of earning of Status Points to get oneself to Gold/Platinum again
The SC earn is the same regardless of your status. It is dependent only on booking/operating carrier combo, fare code and distance (and occasional promotions such as DSC).

The benefit of having status is that it takes less SC earn to requalify at that same status.

Frequent Flyer Points, on the other hand, do have an increased rate of earning for higher status.
Thekman likes this.
pbl22 is offline  
Old Apr 13, 18, 4:14 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 37,193
Originally Posted by Thekman View Post
Am I missing something?
If I understand correctly, you're flying anyway, and you're flying anyway in the cabins that you fly. So the frequent flyer benefits will come from money that you're going to spend in any event.

If that's right, then "it" is costing you nothing - so surely the answer is yes, it is worth it?

The balance might be different if you were considering whether to direct your frequent flyer earning to one scheme rather than another, or if your spending patterns might change depending on whether or not the frequent flyer benefits were genuinely valuable to you.
eminere likes this.
Globaliser is offline  
Old Apr 13, 18, 4:31 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SDF
Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Posts: 13,955
Originally Posted by Thekman View Post
I am a Gold QF FF member very soon to be a Platinum member, and I'm starting to wonder if it's such a big deal.
My circumstances are that I always travel self funded Business Class, mostly overseas. As I travel Business Class what real additional benefits to I get being whatever Tier level I am at that particular point in time? Some of the benefits are flight upgrades, but I'm already flying Business Class and the opportunity to upgrade to First doesn't exist that often any more. The most profound benefit to me seems to be the increased rate of earning of Status Points to get oneself to Gold/Platinum again.
Am I missing something?

First class lounges are a huge step up from biz class lounges in most ports, and that's the real advantage. Plus perhaps slightly higher baggage priority.

But if lounges aren't such a big deal, consider maintaining QF gold at the minimum level if you need it for domestic travel, then shop around for the best deal of the day for your international travel. You can often get two biz class tickets to Europe or the USA on other airlines for the price of one on Qantas. That may suit your travel budget if you are with family.
Thekman and eminere like this.
LHR/MEL/Europe FF is offline  
Old Apr 13, 18, 5:05 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 91
Originally Posted by lokijuh View Post
If flying only in Business Class, where you by and large get priority checkin, boarding, lounge access etc, the benefits of loyalty programs are indeed limited. {Snip}
I'm starting to come around to that way of thinking. Thanks.
Thekman is offline  
Old Apr 13, 18, 5:19 pm
  #11  
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Posts: 13,057
Originally Posted by lokijuh View Post
If flying only in Business Class, where you by and large get priority checkin, boarding, lounge access etc, the benefits of loyalty programs are indeed limited. If flying economy a lot, it can make the journey more palatable.
And the Biz pax are exactly the ones that airlines need to keep locked away as exclusively theirs. The last thing they want is for the Biz pax to sample the delights of the competition.
Thekman likes this.
og is offline  
Old Apr 13, 18, 5:30 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Australia
Programs: QF
Posts: 932
Originally Posted by JClasstraveller View Post
Access to F lounges in SYD and MEL, Domestic J lounges domestically if you fly Y domestically, row 4 on 73Hs domestically.
On domestic flights rows 4 and 5 are always blocked for me until ~T-80.

Row 4 is available from time of booking for trans-Tasman and other international flights operated by the B738.
eminere is offline  
Old Apr 13, 18, 5:48 pm
  #13  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 41,592
Originally Posted by Thekman View Post
I'm starting to come around to that way of thinking. Thanks.
complete the journey to that way of thinking - you will then find yourself booking based on quality and timings and have a better travel experience
Thekman likes this.
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Apr 13, 18, 6:55 pm
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 91
Originally Posted by og View Post

And the Biz pax are exactly the ones that airlines need to keep locked away as exclusively theirs. The last thing they want is for the Biz pax to sample the delights of the competition.
Which is exactly what I will be doing from now on. Sort of like voters in swing seats getting more from politicians than others.
Thekman is offline  
Old Apr 13, 18, 6:57 pm
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 91
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
complete the journey to that way of thinking - you will then find yourself booking based on quality and timings and have a better travel experience
Good advice.
Thekman is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: