Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

How much is save by maintenance being in Dubai ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much is save by maintenance being in Dubai ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2018, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

How much is saved by maintenance being in Dubai ?

According to theqantasource.com

QANTAS A380 VH-OQD Positions to Dubai Maintenance.

Feb 25, 2018

QANTAS A380 VH-OQD positioned Sydney – Dubai for maintenance this afternoon as QF6053.

How much does it cost to ferry an empty A388 to Dubai and back to Australia ? Is it really that much cheaper to outsource the maintenance ?
I think I know the answer - but it certainly seems like a lot of money to fly an empty aeroplane. Would it be an A B C or D check ?

Last edited by Aspen; Jun 6, 2018 at 8:26 pm
Old Feb 25, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: QFF
Better question is, is doing maintenance in DXB better then doing it in MNL.
Qantas contracted with Emirates Engineering to repaint 8 A380s and replace 1 set of landing gear. It isn't confirmed if they are also doing heavy maintenance checks.

Thus far, Qantas has used Lufthansa Technik in MNL to do their C and D checks, which has normally required a SYD-MNL positioning flight (however some positioning flights have been HKG-MNL, and a handful of checks at the start of the contract were done in FRA with positioning flights to/from LHR)

Qantas signed a 10 year maintenance contract with Lufthansa Technik for the A380s, but it isn't clear when this contract started. There are varying dates on the news stories about it. The stories about Lufthansa Technik are dated 2012 and 2015, but the first QF A380 went to Lufthansa in 2010...
Old Feb 25, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Qantas signed a contract with Emirates for 8 A380s to be repainted into the new scheme, and for one aircraft to get a landing gear refit.
AFAIK there isn't a paintshop in Australia with the facilities to paint an A380 (nor even an A330) - the 737s and below are mostly done locally.

I
Old Feb 26, 2018, 2:39 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Chances are in Australia the unions would demand a special A380 allowance.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:52 am

A heavy maintenance facility has to be set-up for a specific aircraft type with lots of specialized tooling, equipment and personell. The only way for a facility like this to be economically viable would be if it is in constant use. Qantas do not have enough A380s to keep such a facility in constant use.
It is a similar story with the Qantas 747s, they used to operate their own heavy maintenance facility in Avalon, Victoria. Once the 747 fleet was reduced below a certain number, that facility was no longer viable.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: QF LTG AC *G
Dubai is home base to a huge number of A380's, if Emirates can't maintain A380's, I'd be surprised. The positioning flight cost might be offset by carrying freight ?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HeyAussie
Dubai is home base to a huge number of A380's, if Emirates can't maintain A380's, I'd be surprised. The positioning flight cost might be offset by carrying freight ?
Co-incidentally I was looking at flight radar 24 today and was amazed at the number four engined aeroplanes heading north west from Dubai.
I'm guessing the time was 15:00 GMT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.