Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Hub City Missing on Qantas Airport List Pull-Down

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2017, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber

Can anybody advise me why Lima - Peru a LATAM - OneWorld Hub City does not show on Qantas site when selected for an originating Flight.

Many Thanks
Old Jul 14, 2017, 11:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Because Qantas does not fly there, I would assume
Old Jul 14, 2017, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Can anybody advise me why Lima - Peru a LATAM - OneWorld Hub City does not show on Qantas site when selected for an originating Flight.

Many Thanks
Qantas (and every airline) have to get permission in order to sell tickets originating from a country.

In the case of Peru they have permission to sell tickets from Australia/New Zealand to Peru but they don't have permission to sell tickets from Peru to any other Qantas destinations.

Often the permission has to be gained from both the operating airline of the codeshare flight and the government/regulating body of the country involved.

It doesn't just happen to Qantas but an example that was recently in the media was Bali Tiger Air flights. Tiger Air has permission to sell return tickets from Australia to Bali and nothing else.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by henrus
Qantas (and every airline) have to get permission in order to sell tickets originating from a country.

In the case of Peru they have permission to sell tickets from Australia/New Zealand to Peru but they don't have permission to sell tickets from Peru to any other Qantas destinations.

Often the permission has to be gained from both the operating airline of the codeshare flight and the government/regulating body of the country involved.

It doesn't just happen to Qantas but an example that was recently in the media was Bali Tiger Air flights. Tiger Air has permission to sell return tickets from Australia to Bali and nothing else.
Don't think this is relevant in this case. QF do sell tickets ex-LIM and can be done over the phone while the limitation online is merely cosmetic.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: Qantas, Virgin
Originally Posted by henrus
The Tiger Bali issue is not really compareable. Tiger were operating flights as a "charter", because they didn't have the approvals to operate RPT to Indonesia. A ticket for a charter flight must be a round trip, with no onward journey to other destinations.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 2:05 am

But when you want check the status of flights in and out of PER, the first port on the drop-down list is "Lima, Peru (LIM)".

So it's swings and roundabouts, sort of.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 3:27 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Sometimes using the Multi City option overcomes this issue, but in this instance it does not.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:32 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The history behind it is that when QF first built qantas.com it allowed web site users to request cities to add to the drop-down list. Which led to hot destinations like Papa Westray to be added to the QF drop-down list -- until QF realized there were thousands of such airports and it was running out of real estate. List was frozen and then trimmed down, ending up with a somewhat irrational pull-down that we have today (and forever more). Listening to customers leads to fine solutions (or not), esp. on the web. You would think there would be a Oneworld key city list that all the Oneworld airlines use, but that's not the Oneworld way.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by number_6
The history behind it is that when QF first built qantas.com it allowed web site users to request cities to add to the drop-down list. Which led to hot destinations like Papa Westray to be added to the QF drop-down list -- until QF realized there were thousands of such airports and it was running out of real estate. List was frozen and then trimmed down, ending up with a somewhat irrational pull-down that we have today (and forever more). Listening to customers leads to fine solutions (or not), esp. on the web. You would think there would be a Oneworld key city list that all the Oneworld airlines use, but that's not the Oneworld way.
Interesting, although I always thought part of the rationale was to curb down on the use of stolen credit cards by forcing online bookings from certain countries to present to the nearest QF office with the actual card prior to the reservation being ticketed.

I wrote to QFF numerous times over the past decade asking for some cities (most are hubs or major gateways) to be added to no avail.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:19 am

I was able to have CFN (Donegal) added to the 'Claim Missing Points' list a few years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.