Search

Oneworld [award] rules questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2016, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Oneworld [award] rules questions

just a couple questions please;

I am booking a oneworld award booking using points with 5 stops

1. If starting from Australia, can I take a couple flights overseas then return to Australia
via a different city and go back to work and start again later?
my guess is no as soon as I return to OZ that terminates the trip

2. when they calculate the distance (35,000 miles max) do they count stop to stop or do they count all the unavoidable transfer sectors too?

3. backtracking is ok right?

4. starting from another country is ok as long as I return there?

Thanks

C-
Old Dec 12, 2016, 5:26 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by C-man

I am booking a oneworld award booking using points with 5 stops ...
While they do use the term 'oneworld award booking', that is unfortunately a bit of a misnomer. In fact, any award booking uses points from a particular airline's frequent flyer programme. Thus, the rules and conditions for all such bookings are set by the programme involved. You will get relevant advice if you ask your question in the forum devoted to the FFP of which you are a member. Good luck.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 5:29 am

Programs: QFF
oneworld award booking using points with 5 stops
Award bookings do not come under oneworld fare product rules. The oneworld/global explorer (xONEx/xGLOBnn) RTW rules do not apply.

Rules for award bookings come under the frequent flyer program. ie, if you are using QF points to make the booking, QFF rules apply.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am booking a oneworld award booking using points with 5 stops
<snip>
2. when they calculate the distance (35,000 miles max) do they count stop to stop or do they count all the unavoidable transfer sectors too
This as below
Originally Posted by Himeno
Award bookings do not come under oneworld fare product rules. The oneworld/global explorer (xONEx/xGLOBnn) RTW rules do not apply.

Rules for award bookings come under the frequent flyer program. ie, if you are using QF points to make the booking, QFF rules apply.
QF ffp has a "Oneworld " award option. The QF oneworld award (140K/280K/420K) its one of the better QF ffp features (There aren't many with QF ffp)
As above its nothing to do with paid Oneworld tickets. From QF web site:-
Use points to build your dream trip with oneworld®

Discover the world and enjoy fantastic flexibility with oneworld Classic Flight Rewards. You can combine at least two oneworld airlines other than Qantas into one itinerary. With up to 35,000 miles allowed on a oneworld Classic Flight Reward, the possibilities are endless.
AFF has a dedicated thread on this topic, with many useful posts from people who have booked these QF awards.

AA also used to have a "Oneworld RTW" award option, that also caused a lot of confusion with the Oneworld alliance *ONE* round the world paid ticket.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 12, 2016 at 12:15 pm
Old Dec 12, 2016, 12:38 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
I'm going to assume this regards Qantas' FFP so I'm moving the thread to the Qantas board.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
Old Dec 12, 2016, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
1. If starting from Australia, can I take a couple flights overseas then return to Australia

2. when they calculate the distance (35,000 miles max) do they count stop to stop or do they count all the unavoidable transfer sectors too?

3. backtracking is ok right?

4. starting from another country is ok as long as I return there?
  1. No - can only return to country of origin once - this is a general award rule, not specific to the "Oneworld Award".
  2. Total distance - including non flight, ground/land segments.
  3. Yes, subject to trnsit/stopover limits.
  4. Yes, but the distance from your last port to the orgin port is included in the total calculation.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 2:34 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Without knowing the details of the rules, have you considered starting in another country - eg New Zealand - or somewhere close-by with plenty of award seats from here to there? May be worth positioning "there" so you get the stopover(s) you want in Oz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.