Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strangest Flight Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2016, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Strangest Flight Suggestions

I'm interested to see if anyone else has come across anything weird or just plane odd (excuse the pun).

I found this one whilst searching and find it funny that it's even offered. I'd be surprised if anyone has ever connected through Lord Howe Island and would be amazed if they even had a MCT published.

Old Mar 28, 2016, 8:57 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
The only problem I can see is the 30 min LDH connection. High risk for misconnect and weather delays. Oh, and not really enough time to leave the airport and go exploring. Why go direct when you can connect
Old Mar 28, 2016, 11:18 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

deleted
Old Mar 29, 2016, 12:03 am

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
Even stranger that Google thinks Zurich is covered by Eastern Australian Airlines.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Q...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old Mar 29, 2016, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Its giving the status of Swiss Air Flight 2285

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Z...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I didn't think they had a terminal 2A at LDH
Old Mar 29, 2016, 1:32 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by Guvner067
Even stranger that Google thinks Zurich is covered by Eastern Australian Airlines.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Q...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Now you know why lots of people hate Google...
Old Mar 29, 2016, 7:03 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by og
The only problem I can see is the 30 min LDH connection. High risk for misconnect and weather delays.
Very low risk of misconnect when it is the same plane, as this would appear to be, doing BNE-LDH-SYD.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:58 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Very low risk of misconnect when it is the same plane, as this would appear to be, doing BNE-LDH-SYD.
Maybe the case, but I wouldn't rely on it. It is possible to park at least two Dash8s concurrently at LDH and this is frequently the case on the weekends when it's very busy (3 flights from SYD, and some from PQQ and BNE) - so the computer might think it's quite possible.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

I would love to see the faces of staff at BNE and LDH airports when they find out your routing is BNE-LDH-SYD-HNL
Old Mar 30, 2016, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by og
Maybe the case, but I wouldn't rely on it. It is possible to park at least two Dash8s concurrently at LDH and this is frequently the case on the weekends when it's very busy (3 flights from SYD, and some from PQQ and BNE) - so the computer might think it's quite possible.
According to timetable on that day, it would be the same plane, unless IRROPS:
arrivals - 0925 (SYD), 0940 (SYD), 1355 (PQQ), 1430 (BNE)
departures - 0955 (PQQ) 1010 (BNE), 1425 (SYD), 1500 (SYD)

Expertflyer shows MCT between domestic flights @ LDH as 20 mins.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 10:51 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG
Originally Posted by lokijuh
According to timetable on that day, it would be the same plane, unless IRROPS:
arrivals - 0925 (SYD), 0940 (SYD), 1355 (PQQ), 1430 (BNE)
departures - 0955 (PQQ) 1010 (BNE), 1425 (SYD), 1500 (SYD)

Expertflyer shows MCT between domestic flights @ LDH as 20 mins.
So it's a legal routing BNE-HNL, classic. Would love to see someone pull the trigger.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 3:02 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by snabbu
So it's a legal routing BNE-HNL, classic. Would love to see someone pull the trigger.
How many can live with the baggage limitation, esp. if HNL is their gateway to a longer USA trip ?
While fun it has some practical consequences that are problematic (starting with high chance of arriving to HNL a day or 2 late).
Old Mar 31, 2016, 3:52 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by number_6
How many can live with the baggage limitation, esp. if HNL is their gateway to a longer USA trip ?
While fun it has some practical consequences that are problematic (starting with high chance of arriving to HNL a day or 2 late).
And since QF doesn't fly to HNL every day of the week, there's a 2/7 chance every week of enjoying a flight on JQ instead - how good is that!
Old Mar 31, 2016, 8:31 pm

Programs: QF Plat, BA GGL, VA Silver, SQ Gold, IHG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by snabbu
It's a legal routing only from a MCT perspective. It's not valid on any published HNL fares though, so you can't use it.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by madrooster
It's a legal routing only from a MCT perspective. It's not valid on any published HNL fares though, so you can't use it.
Why can't you use it if it is bookable through QF website (screenshot seems to be from a multi city booking)? The extra cost perhaps suggests it is adding on two domestic fares to a HNL fare, rather than being part of a HNL fare per se.

Really though this is all a hypothetical exercise, who in their right mind would pay an extra $1127 to route via LDH to travel from BNE to SYD when connecting to HNL in economy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.