Checking in luggage query

Old Nov 19, 15, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Checking in luggage query

Hi

We're flying QF ADL - SYD next week (in business) then on a separate ticket on BA SYD - LHR (in F for the first leg if it matters). Will we be able to check our luggage in for the whole trip in ADL or will we need to collect it and recheck in SYD? I'm a bit concerned we'll have to wait for BA check in to open if that's the case as we get to SYD 4 1/2 hrs before BA departs.

Also can we use the Qantas airside bus to get to the international terminal (I suspect not) or will we need to get the train? And would we be charged the station access fee if only transitting between the domestic and international terminals (using Opal)?

Thanks

Last edited by louie-m; Nov 19, 15 at 11:57 pm
Old Nov 20, 15, 12:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The important part is to be aware that the luggage allowance will be very different. QF's allowance from ADL-SYD will be 40Kg vs the 3 x 32Kg of BA

You should be able to check the bags through

You should also be able to use the airside bus

If you take the train, you will simply need to pay the $5? fare for travel between terminals - no additional station access fees
Old Nov 20, 15, 1:31 am
Original Poster

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
The important part is to be aware that the luggage allowance will be very different. QF's allowance from ADL-SYD will be 40Kg vs the 3 x 32Kg of BA
Isn't it 2 x 32kg? Unusually for us we will be travelling with a lot of luggage so I will be buying an extra bag each for $30 each to match BA's allowance.

You should be able to check the bags through

You should also be able to use the airside bus
Two bits of excellent news, I hope it works out that way.

If you take the train, you will simply need to pay the $5? fare for travel between terminals - no additional station access fees
Do you know if you can you use Opal or do you have to buy a separate ticket (if we get ejected from the Qantas bus!)?
Old Nov 20, 15, 1:40 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by louie-m View Post
Isn't it 2 x 32kg?
Yes

Do you know if you can you use Opal or do you have to buy a separate ticket (if we get ejected from the Qantas bus!)?
Dave is right about the bus. Don't be concerned about alternatives.

A shuttle bus service is available to passengers that are travelling or have travelled on a Qantas flight (including codeshare flights) or oneworld flight.
http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...al/en#transfer
Old Nov 20, 15, 1:40 am

Programs: QF(Platinum) VA(Platinum) EY(Platinum) NZ(Gold) AZ(Platinum) SPG(Gold)
From the Qantas website

Originally Posted by QF SYD Airport Guide
Transferring from T2 and T3 (Domestic Airports) to T1 (International Airport):

The Transfer Lounge is located airside (after passing through the security check point), at Gate 15 in T3. A shuttle bus service is available to passengers that are travelling or have travelled on a Qantas flight (including codeshare flights) or oneworld flight. The shuttle buses operate every 10-20 minutes from 6am to 9.40pm AEST. On arrival at T1 proceed up the escalator, through immigration and security to your departure gate.

Transferring from T1 (International Airport) to T2 and T3 (Domestic Airports):

The Transfer Lounge is located on the Arrivals level of Sydney International Airport. After you clear customs, follow the signs located outside the terminal, entry is external to the main terminal within a short walk via a weather protected walkway. Recheck your baggage at the Seamless Transfer Check-in counters and then board the shuttle bus for the Domestic terminal. It operates from 6am to 12noon every 10 minutes and from 12noon until 9.00pm AEST every 20 minutes. The bus arrives at T3 at Gate 15. Check the screens for departure gate information. Passengers connecting to a flight not operated by Qantas or QantasLink should refer to the Sydney Airport website for further information on transfer options.
Bit unclear on return, but you look covered on the outbound transfer (as BA is a OneWorld carrier)
Old Nov 20, 15, 1:43 am

Programs: QF(Platinum) VA(Platinum) EY(Platinum) NZ(Gold) AZ(Platinum) SPG(Gold)
Originally Posted by jridge View Post
Yes

Dave is right about the bus. Don't be concerned about alternatives.

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...al/en#transfer
Lol, QF thread full of helpful people ^ and exactly at 7:40pm both (what are the odds of that!). Pretty sure you are right for the return (would be weird if that was different).
Old Nov 20, 15, 2:01 am

We're flying QF ADL - SYD next week (in business) then on a separate ticket on BA SYD - LHR... Will we be able to check our luggage in for the whole trip in ADL or will we need to collect it and recheck in SYD?
I've done a bit of searching, and the best answer (which is sort of an answer by exclusion) was given here Qantas FAQs - Baggage With Connecting Flights

Originally Posted by Qantas FAQs
Note: Your baggage will not be checked through and you will not receive your onward journey boarding pass if you hold two separate reservations for your international trip, where one reservation is with Qantas and the other reservation is with an airline that is neither Qantas, Emirates or a oneworld airline. Please allow enough time to collect your baggage at the end of each flight, clear customs and immigration if necessary, transit visa requirements, move between different terminals and re-check in with your next carrier.

So while not as crystal clear as one would like (couldn't pull an interline electronic ticket agreement between QF and BA, which is a shame as that would most likely would spell it out clearly), the fact that it says no baggage transfer if not Qantas, Emirates or OneWorld on next connection, points that seperate ticket onto another OneWorld carrier should still allow for baggage interlining (which is indicative of onward ticket issue most times).

As I'll be facing a similar situation soon myself (although in my case split tickets both on BA stock, yet Qantas is the first operator out on first ticket) I'd be interested to hear how it goes.

Last edited by SuiteFlight; Nov 20, 15 at 2:15 am
Old Nov 20, 15, 2:02 am
Original Poster

What a helpful bunch you are, thank you.

The reason I thought we weren't eligible is I read Sydney Airport's own website which says "Qantas Seamless Transfer - If you are transferring between a Qantas domestic service (QF400 - QF1599) and a Qantas international service (QF001 - QF399) in either direction, you may be eligible to use the Qantas Seamless Transfer Service. For more information and to confirm your eligibility, visit www.qantas.com or phone 13 13 13."

Silly me! Should have looked further at Qantas's website....
Old Nov 20, 15, 2:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Isn't it 2 x 32kg? Unusually for us we will be travelling with a lot of luggage so I will be buying an extra bag each for $30 each to match BA's allowance.
My bad - indeed Qantas's domestic allowance in business class in 2 x 32 Kg .
Old Nov 20, 15, 2:15 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
A simple summary from someone who does exactly the same up to a dozen times a year (although not from ADL):

1) You can have your baggage checked through but absolutely make sure you have your flight details there (flight number, PNR and ticket number preferably)

2) Allow a lot of extra time as some agents struggle and can take a while

3) Make sure that the names on both tickets match, including any middle initials used on the ticket, as it can cause a bit of a hiccup trying to through-check baggage from QF if they do not (although not un-solvable, it can cause a bit of a delay and if the agent isn't helpful, it can actually end in a 'no')

4) You can definitely use the airside QF bus.

5) Standard QF domestic allowance is 32 kg x 2 in J. Paying online in advance for excess baggage will save you $10 ($40 at the airport, $30 in advance online). Make sure that you have the excess baggage receipt if you pre-pay online.
Old Nov 20, 15, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
A simple summary from someone who does exactly the same up to a dozen times a year (although not from ADL):

1) You can have your baggage checked through but absolutely make sure you have your flight details there (flight number, PNR and ticket number preferably)

2) Allow a lot of extra time as some agents struggle and can take a while

3) Make sure that the names on both tickets match, including any middle initials used on the ticket, as it can cause a bit of a hiccup trying to through-check baggage from QF if they do not (although not un-solvable, it can cause a bit of a delay and if the agent isn't helpful, it can actually end in a 'no')

4) You can definitely use the airside QF bus.

5) Standard QF domestic allowance is 32 kg x 2 in J. Paying online in advance for excess baggage will save you $10 ($40 at the airport, $30 in advance online). Make sure that you have the excess baggage receipt if you pre-pay online.
Thanks, all very helpful advice for my upcoming trip as well. ^ While you can research these things, it's a huge added reassurance to have someone with direct recent experience confirm.
Old Nov 20, 15, 5:46 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
IF you do decide to use the train, make sure you buy a paper ticket from the ticket office, do NOT use the ticket machines or Opal, the DOM-INT ticket is vastly cheaper this way.

Dave
Old Nov 20, 15, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by thadocta View Post
IF you do decide to use the train, make sure you buy a paper ticket from the ticket office, do NOT use the ticket machines or Opal, the DOM-INT ticket is vastly cheaper this way.

Dave
It's $5.80 from the machines.
How much does the ticket office charge?
Old Nov 20, 15, 6:45 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by DH188 View Post
It's $5.80 from the machines.
How much does the ticket office charge?
It shouldn't be, the machines should charge you the $13 station access fee, unless this has changed recently.....

Dave
Old Nov 20, 15, 7:02 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by thadocta View Post
It shouldn't be, the machines should charge you the $13 station access fee, unless this has changed recently.....

Dave
A terminal transfer ticket from the machine or ticket office is the same price - $5.80. There is no reason to use the ticket office.

The station access fee you refer to applies when using Opal or when purchasing a non-transfer ticket. I don't think this has ever been applied to terminal transfer tickets.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: