Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF to close BKK lounge

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2015, 3:15 pm
formerly gemini573
Original Poster

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
QF to close BKK lounge

QF will close the BKK lounge this coming weekend.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-close...n=home-flipper

They'll use the CIP lounge instead.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 3:33 pm

Superficially (at least), it seems strange that OneWorld carriers don't harness the potential of shared lounges!
Old Nov 12, 2015, 3:41 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Platy
Superficially (at least), it seems strange that OneWorld carriers don't harness the potential of shared lounges!
Yes indeed. You'd never think that QF and CX were in the same alliance! Even QR in BKK uses the TG lounge.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 4:43 pm
formerly gemini573
Original Poster

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Strange indeed. You'd think with all the oneworld carriers out of BKK (AY, BA, CX, JL, MH, QF, QR, RJ, S7, & UL),

The only two lounges left are JL & CX. BA uses the CX lounge for their single daily service. I wonder if the JL lounge will stay in operation as it's only open early mornings and evenings?
Old Nov 15, 2015, 1:32 am

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
End of the walkway

A friend who works for Qantas says it's the precursor of Qantas itself abandoning Bangkok altogether, and leaving it to Jetstar and Emirates as code-share partners
Old Nov 15, 2015, 6:06 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
As it is its abandoned compared to what it was in the past. QF daily to SYD, JQ 3/wkly to MEL. Would not be surprised to see the SYD schedule change, not enough J traffic to BKK I suspect.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 1:44 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I recall family discussion with a QF 707 Navigator (the type that sat in the flight deck) many decades ago and he said that QF kept both SIN and BKK operational as stopovers on the Oz-LHR Kangaroo Route as alternate "contingency" factors in case politics caused either city / airport to shut down or prevent through flights.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:40 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I've only taken SYD-BKK in J a couple of times since the end of BKK-LHR service, but flights were sold out in J each time, fwiw (and not full in Y). Still hard to keep a ground station for such few flights esp. with not much cargo. Suspect QF hung on for so long either because it had new leases on the lounge space or as an alternate hub to HKG or SIN for an Asian J service (which was a pipedream by Joyce). QF chose not to partner with AY who do fly HEL-BKK/HKG which could have augmented EK but apparently not what EK had in mind

QF had abandoned KUL years ago and partners with EK to KUL instead of with MH; Oneworld is like that. Actually the EK partnership is pretty good for FF status.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 10:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
Whenever I take 3K Bkk-Sin, it was nice to have the QF lounge option.

Sad to see it closes at such short notice.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 6:54 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
If flying J BKK SYD on QF, can you access the EK Lounge?
Old Mar 16, 2016, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
If flying J BKK SYD on QF, can you access the EK Lounge?
Yes, but lately they're wanting to record your ticket number, so have that available.
Has to be QF (081) issued too by some accounts.

CX lounge is another option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.