Wiki Posts
Search

Problematic Service for IRROPS -

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2015, 1:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Problematic Service for IRROPS -

Just returned home yesterday(PHL) after having a real problem with Qantas recovery from IRROPS.

I was in Singapore and had a J class on QF 6 (SIN->SYD) leaving on July 23. About 7 hours before the scheduled departure, got an alert from Tripit about the flight being delayed 6 hours (from 2350 to 0615 on the 24th). This would have caused a misconnect to my QF 7 (SYD->DFW).

I never got an email notification from QF, and did not have a local cell phone. So I got on Skype, and after about 30 minutes got what I thought was a confirmed routing leaving on the 23rd SIN->BNE, BNE->SYD, which would have preserved my QF 7 connection.

Headed to the airport. All they had me listed for was standby on the SIN->BNE leg. I had visions of having to overnight both in SIN and in BNE/SYD airports which was not too appealing. No alternative routings to SYD were open.

Finally, after a lot of back and forth, I was able to get QF to endorse my ticket over to Qatar, and was re-routed SIN->DOH and DOH->PHL. Good news was that I actually got home about 12 hours earlier than originally planned, though I missed what would have been my first flight on an A380, and also about 4K of miles.

I am unimpressed by how QF handled irrops. I had an email address on my PNR, and the fact that I got Tripit notification way before any QF notification is inexcusable (in fact while I was in SIN sorting out the reroute, I finally got an email from QF that their "solution" was to delay my entire itinerary for a full day).

I had wonderful service on the outbound (LAX->BNE, with a few days in BNE, then BNE->SYD, SYD->SIN) legs. But they did not impress me with how they handled IRROPS.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 2:46 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Did you have any mobile phone?

QF tends to SMS and/or call in such situations, but the calls happen in priority of status.

For the record you can also put your hotel or local contact number in your booking as well.

Your 30 minute wait reflects a lack of priority when calling based on not having QFF status.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 3:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Getting rerouted SIN-DOH-PHL and getting home 12 hours quicker with just 1 simple connection seems a very good handling of the situation after an initial hiccough
Old Jul 25, 2015, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Getting rerouted SIN-DOH-PHL and getting home 12 hours quicker with just 1 simple connection seems a very good handling of the situation after an initial hiccough
Actually they didn't even suggest this, and it took a suggestion from me and an agent who seemed a bit confused as to how to process the paperwork to accomplish.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Doesnt seem that eggregious to me. The lack of notice, etc, is annoying, but I dont trust ANY airline to proactively communicate with me. Perhaps I have the benefit of very low expectations....

I would be very annoyed about the rebooking- if they told you 'confirmed' but in fact it was standby, that is a legitimate service gripe.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 6:36 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Hi phillychuck,

Sorry to hear of your misfortune on QF - and especially their IIROPS (non) performance, which I usually find is very good, and why I tend to stick with them.

Originally Posted by phillychuck
Good news was that I actually got home about 12 hours earlier than originally planned, though I missed what would have been my first flight on an A380, and also about 4K of miles.
You will be eligible for Original Route Credit so will NOT miss out on the miles. The chances are that you'll have to explicitly apply for this after the QR flights credit, but this *shouldn't* be an issue.

Regards,

BD
Old Jul 26, 2015, 7:46 pm

Programs: QFF, SPG, Skywards, HHonors
Did you put a local contact number of your hotel so that they could contact you. My guess is you were still in the queue by the time Tripit advised you.

As others have pointed out, they would have rebooked based on status, even if you had an onward connection. Given it is peak season, the best they could have offered you is standby as well which explains why they didn't offer you seats on QF82/36/72 to connect to QF7.

If you spoke to their call centre in Johannesburg, then I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't think to route you with another OW carrier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.