Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is $A159 a good deal for MEL-SYD?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2015, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom911
....Right now there's only a $A10 fare difference for midday travel but I'm looking 10 months out.....
Originally Posted by markis10
....Both QF and VA are raising prices, with it now pretty much impossible to get sub $100 on the golden triangle within the next 12 weeks.
Tom911 is looking 10 months out :- May 2016
Oz Fest 13 will be Saturday 28th May - Sunday 29th May 2016 on the Gold Coast.
Jetstar in another option. For example Monday 17 May 2016 have all flights at $115 plus $14.50 for 15kg baggage plus a credit card fee. A base line comparison to VA/QF.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 9:52 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
If those Jetstar flights were on Qantas at that total price - below $US100 total today - I'd buy it and just be done with it. I've yet to fly Jetstar and not sure I'd even have lounge access with them in MEL.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 10:53 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
If those Jetstar flights were on Qantas at that total price - below $US100 total today - I'd buy it and just be done with it. I've yet to fly Jetstar and not sure I'd even have lounge access with them in MEL.
At today's XE rate, USD100 = AUD135. Add 3% for exchange if using the wrong card. That means $159 for QF isn't too bad - and that includes lounge access if OWS or OWE. You won't get free lounge access on JQ unless you are QF WP or higher.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Lounge access is unlikely with Jetstar for non QF oneworld Emerald/Sapphire.

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...club/global/en

As others have posted; wait for the next "sale" for those dates (guessing most likely from about 8 months out and later).
Old Jul 12, 2015, 11:56 pm

Programs: QF Silver

Jetstar are alright, however I avoid them like the plague since I literally don't fit in their seats. I'm 6'7 and it is impossible to find any space for them long legs. So if you're a tall bloke stay well clear.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 12:07 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by littlegreenman
Jetstar are alright, however I avoid them like the plague since I literally don't fit in their seats. I'm 6'7 and it is impossible to find any space for them long legs. So if you're a tall bloke stay well clear.
Just pay for Extra Leg Room seat(s). Row 1 is quite nice.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:28 am

Programs: Velocity Gold
If you are going to go the Jetstar route just do a price beat with Tiger, means you can get your Jetstar seat for 10% cheaper than whatever Tiger's fare is.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serfty
As others have posted; wait for the next "sale" for those dates (guessing most likely from about 8 months out and later).
Here's an example - there's a sale on now for the next two days reducing the base cost to $129, but only valid for travel during a four week period encompassing August and September.

Cheap Flights from Melbourne to Sydney | Qantas.com

Keep an eye on that link or you can subscribe for Special fares ex MEL.

I am pretty sure in some months that such will be available for the dates you are after.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:32 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
There is a new yield system being put in place in September, floor price for sale fares will be $190 for SYD-MEL and $200 SYD-BNE by the end of the year for QF. Welcome back to the two airline system folks.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
There is a new yield system being put in place in September, floor price for sale fares will be $190 for SYD-MEL and $200 SYD-BNE by the end of the year for QF.
One-way or round-trip?
Old Jul 15, 2015, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globaliser
One-way or round-trip?
Will be one way. All domestic flights in Australia are sold as one way. A "return" is just 2 one ways.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 5:23 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold
There is a new yield system being put in place in September, floor price for sale fares will be $190 for SYD-MEL and $200 SYD-BNE by the end of the year for QF. Welcome back to the two airline system folks.
Really? That is a massive price jump from current levels!
Old Jul 15, 2015, 5:48 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelislife
Really? That is a massive price jump from current levels!
But realistically, how many people who fly SYD-MEL during the week pay the minimum fare? The suggested new base fare is "only" going to hit the low revenue travellers and drive them over to JQ or others.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Just booked my ticket for May, 2016, at $A99 on Qantas. Glad I waited.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serfty
Here's an example - there's a sale on now for the next two days reducing the base cost to $129, but only valid for travel during a four week period encompassing August and September.

Cheap Flights from Melbourne to Sydney | Qantas.com

Keep an eye on that link or you can subscribe for Special fares ex MEL.

I am pretty sure in some months that such will be available for the dates you are after.
There's one out now until the end of the week (Melboune, Oz time)

AU$99 for MEL-SYD also AU$99 for MEL-OOL ...

If you purchase a $50 gift voucher you can also avoid the AUD7.70 Credit service Fee (or just Bpay).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.