Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie question

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2015, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR, BA, IB, JJ
Newbie question

How do miles earn in QF's ffp? Is it based on a per segment or based on the departure to destination regardless of any intermediate stops.

Example:
ADL-SYD-LAX

Should I add the miles I will earn from ADL-SYD and SYD-LAX?
Or is it just the miles from ADL-LAX?
Old May 20, 2015, 2:44 am

Your points earn is calculated on the individual sectors.
Old May 20, 2015, 9:12 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
You have to count it in sectors, ADL to SYD can range from 800 points min guarantee onwards.
More important these days is something called status credits, these will help you climb the status ladder, the higher you get, the more benefits.
Years ago, yes, it was miles flown, but these days, not so much so.
On the QF website there is a miles and status credit calculator. Good tool that one.
Also, the miles earnt or frequent flyer points earnt and status credits earnt, will depend on class of travel, the higher the fare, the more you earn, also, keep all your business with a QF flight number, as these will earn you the most miles and status credits.
Old May 20, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
The link takes a bit of time to come up, but this is the tool I am talking about.
https://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/do/...alPointsEarned
ADL - SYD in whY earns 800 miles and 10 SC
SYD - LAX in whY earns 4500 miles and 45 SC
Coming back is twice the above so 10600 miles and 110 SC.
10600 miles is meaningless, but that 110 SC is 36% way towards QF PS with one visit to the int J lounge after this and other trips, needing 300 SC.
110 SC is also 15% towards QF SG, which has a lot of benefits.

Last edited by AustralianPoochie; May 20, 2015 at 9:20 am
Old May 27, 2015, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QR, BA, IB, JJ
Thank you! That helps a lot!
Old May 28, 2015, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by AustralianPoochie
More important these days is something called status credits, these will help you climb the status ladder, the higher you get, the more benefits.
Originally Posted by AustralianPoochie
10600 miles is meaningless, but that 110 SC is 36% way towards QF PS with one visit to the int J lounge after this and other trips, needing 300 SC.
Before anyone gets too carried away with AustralianPoochie's unique perspective on life, it might be worth sounding a note of caution about this advice.

Status credits are not universally more important to everyone. For example, if your flying patterns mean that you have no hope of ever moving to any of the higher tiers of membership, then SCs are basically useless and you'd be better off concentrating on understanding how many points you'll earn. I'd bet that the majority of passengers fall into this category.

Of course, if you might fly enough to move up the tiers, then you do need to watch the SCs as well as the points earn.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.